• 2 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss performance P115A U0115 U0100

My 2004 F350 6.0 has been having an issue where it feels like it’s having a consistent misfire, high idle, and harsh gear engagement. The codes that are being read are p115a, u0100, and u0155. The truck fuel level is full shown in the cluster and because I filled it up completely but the pcm is registering like if it was empty. Also suddenly when you start the truck everything runs good until I put it in drive then the rpm jumps from 600 to high 900’s. I need help ASAP please. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello Carlos, I'm new here also. I saw this and had a similar experience on my '06 recently. This is likely caused by a failure of the board in your instrument cluster, which is common in this year range of Fords. The board failure is likely due to a cold solder joint which is actually a common problem across the industry in this time frame due to OEM's getting away from lead in the solder.

The reason this happens is that auto manufacturers use what is called a CAN-BUS which allows for info to be passed back and forth with fewer wires i.e. not as many dedicated circuits are required. Nearly every component in the system acts as a hub for the CAN-BUS, so when a failure occurs, you get weird results.

Ford implemented a low-fuel limp home at some point (I think it was implemented by the MY2004, but someone else will have to confirm) that is intended to save the injectors in the event you run out of fuel. Low fuel pressure can damage injectors in these engines. In this case the PCM thinks it's low on fuel, kicking the code and sending it into limp-home. On a side note, on my '06, this limp-home actually improved my sticking VGT, as it appeared to slam it to the VGT from full open to full close over and over every time it would cut fuel in limp mode.

I bought a rebuilt cluster from Circuit Board Medics (there are other sources as well) and it fixed my problem. They programmed the mileage too.

Last edited by ERando; 09-09-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Clarity
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
If the instrument cluster is the route you're going to go down, circuit board medics, https://circuitboardmedics.com, who is or was a site sponsor, can troubleshoot. You can call them, and if they require you to send in the cluster, there's a pretty good video by them on how to pull it.

If it does come to swapping the cluster, the mileage travels with the cluster, so if the truck is sold, just have to be honest with it and the DMV. Either that, or a good dealer can swap the cluster and input the new miles. There's a few people who have purchased a "low mileage truck" that has had much more wear on it than it should have because of dishonest cluster swaps.

I'm only going off post#2, for all I know it could be a PCM.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
From TSB-08-20-1

IF DIAGNOSING A LACK OF POWER CONDITION, BE AWARE 2005 AND FORWARD MODEL YEAR VEHICLES HAVE A “FORCED LIMITED POWER” STRATEGY WHICH LIMITS INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE (ICP) WHEN THE FUEL LEVEL IN THE TANK GETS VERY LOW (WELL AFTER THE LOW FUEL LIGHT SYSTEM COMES ON). WHEN THIS OCCURS, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P115A WILL BE STORED IN THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM).

https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core...15887&_xt=.pdf

This implies to me that the power limiting strategy only applies to 2005 and up engines.
ChrisSki and jokester00 like this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #5 of 5 Old 09-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
From TSB-08-20-1

IF DIAGNOSING A LACK OF POWER CONDITION, BE AWARE 2005 AND FORWARD MODEL YEAR VEHICLES HAVE A “FORCED LIMITED POWER” STRATEGY WHICH LIMITS INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE (ICP) WHEN THE FUEL LEVEL IN THE TANK GETS VERY LOW (WELL AFTER THE LOW FUEL LIGHT SYSTEM COMES ON). WHEN THIS OCCURS, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P115A WILL BE STORED IN THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM).

https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core...15887&_xt=.pdf

This implies to me that the power limiting strategy only applies to 2005 and up engines.
Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if the timing for implementation of they. It seems unlikely that my explanation applies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode