6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scorching hot EGT, EOT, ECT towing.

Hi guys. My '04 stroke gets way too warm for my liking when I tow my 12,000 pound 5th wheel over passes. We are at about 6,000ft above sea level if it matters. I have to get out of it and slow down to like 40mph every stinkin time. My oil creeps up to at least 220 even going slow. EGT I have set to alarm out at 1325 and it's not hard to get it to happen. Unloaded cruising down the highway my temp delta is 7-10 degrees so I have every reason to believe my oil cooler is working as designed. I'm going to include some pointless info here but I'm trying to give as much info as possible. Mods are as follows:

Swamps stock voltage FICM with econo tune
!EGR
!Cat
!fan stater (don't shoot me I didn't tow so heavy when I junked it)
Coolant filter
Cat ELC coolant
7.3 fan clutch
New OEM '03 turbo about 25k ago
Engine monitor, no tune. My flash is up to date with Ford's most recent tune.
I wanna say that's about all.

Lots of stuff on the truck is new. Within the last ~30k miles (mostly as preventative maintenance)...
Radiator
Water pump
Oil pump gears
Hoses/degas bottle/thermostat etc
Injectors
Idlers, tensioner, misc sensors that were near the end of service life, all this stuff is Motorcraft OEM.

Help, guys. Before I start pouring cash in to external oil cooler, meth kit, big intercooler etc. One odd thing, and for a year or so it was only under heavy load on a grade is that I can hear a metalic sing. Very high pitched, like a lot of RPM on a bearing. Now I can make it happen on nearly flat ground if I am in to it hard enough. I'll try to get a video with the sound tomorrow. Has not seemed to affect temps or operation but IDK what it is. Truck has a little over 200,000 miles. Thanks for any insight in to my '04 heat creation device. You guys are the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 02:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,040 Times in 936 Posts
Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Greetings. Who made the radiator?

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #3 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Are the EGR cooler and CAT deleted? That singing sound might be the turbo impeller rubbing or bad bearings in the turbo. You didn't say how much boost you're getting when leaning on it hard. The singing could also be a boost leak somewhere. The CAC boot on the turbo is the one thats likely to go first, because of the heat on the turbo but also that one takes a weird bend and its easy to not get it on there just right if it's been removed before and I'm sure it's been removed many times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

DJ, the radiator is an OEM Motorcraft replacement.

X, EGR cooler and pipe deleted. Cat is deleted with a delete pipe, exhaust otherwise stock. I would be surprised and disappointed if the turbo was bad. I put it in 25-30k miles ago, and it was a brand new OEM part. I will hammer on the truck up a grade later today and let you know what boost I see. Historically I want to say 23-24 pounds without a load. Loaded, not sure. I can't really lean on it with a trailer behind it at all. Gets too hot. As far as I know the turbo has been out 3 times. Had injector #5 replaced, then the other 7, and then I changed the turbya out. I'll see if I can inspect that CAC boot later on. From the way it sounds and the conditions that the noise happens under I'm 99% sure it isn't a boost leak. Because I don't hear it all the time when I'm well in the boost. Still not a bad check to perform. It is 15 years old though. I'd almost be surprised if there isn't a little boost leak somewhere.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
220* oil temp pulling 12k up a grade sounds fairly normal IMO. I just pulled an awkward load the other day, not real heavy but a huge windbreak, temps much like yours, the one I disliked the most were the EGTs. Because it didn't weigh that much I didn't use tow/haul but every time it slipped into OD the EGTs set the alarm (mine's set at 1250*)
Heavy_GD and jokester00 like this.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
EGT I have set to alarm out at 1325 and it's not hard to get it to happen
Swamps stock voltage FICM with econo tune
This doesn't sound right to me. I don't know anything about Swamps FICM tune, but I've run the PHP FICM economy tune with an SCT tow tune and I don't think I could make my truck get to 1325 if I tried. My 5th wheel is only about 10K but I never see over 1180 or so. 220 EOT isn't really a big deal but should track with the ECT.

I also live at 6K ft. elevation and regularly tow in the higher elevations.
jokester00 and Hydro like this.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.

Last edited by Sock Puppet; 08-03-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 08:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
I'm convinced the only things you can do to bring EGT down is a turbo back exhaust and meth injection. Everything else may or may not work: different Exhaust gas manifolds, injectors, turbo, etc.

Boost leaks with a boost leak detector are fairly easy to catch. The exhaust side however, I haven't found a good way to find them except to tape a shop vac blowing onto the tailpipe. After a lot of work I got to where I can go 50 MPH up an extended 6% grade towing 11k and not break 1300 EGT. I had an exhaust gas manifold leak, leaking baro hose, leaking up pipe, and leaking Y-Pipe. A shop suggested that a new turbo or new injectors may bring the EGTs down, but I am happy with where I'm at and maybe when I break 225k miles I'll splurge on OEM injectors.

I also had a squeal and I fixed it by removing the water pump pulley and scuffing it and changing my non-OEM serpentine belt to OEM.
Stardog likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #8 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Here is where my numbers are cruising down the highway. I'm going to try to add a video of a roughly 10mph-65mph run on an on ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190803_120122_1564859885561.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	721425  
post #9 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Here is a video of an on ramp run.

https://youtu.be/N-YIgzEpdwM
post #10 of 27 Old 08-03-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
I also had a squeal and I fixed it by removing the water pump pulley and scuffing it and changing my non-OEM serpentine belt to OEM.
Did it sound like a regular belt squeal or super high pitched and metallic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode