6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Unread 07-29-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overboost issue

I have an early 04 6.0 with 4" turbo back exhaust, egr cooler delete and coolant bypass filter otherwise stock. Blew the side off the intercooler pulling around 7k and keeps blowing rubber coupler off. Anyone else had this issue? Suggestions on a fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 07-29-2019, 06:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Very common issue. One way is to clean the boot with something like simple green and replace. Also, I have used aqua net extra hold hairspray; install wet, and torque down, and then it dries like a glue. The best thing to do is to get a new set of boots. A couple of options. I went with dieselsite.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Unread 07-29-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should have specified about the intercooler it blew the side off the intercooler where it is crimped to the cooling fins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Unread 07-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

With this, someone is going to recommend a metal intercooler. Some of the OEM plastic intercoolers are prone to what you mentioned. I did not have the intercooler cracking problem, yet.

For my CAC boots, I bought but have not installed the Dieselsite metal O-Rings. Those get installed between the metal pipe and rubber Boot. Supposed to not need these until the boost gets above 50, but I have a pair in case the boots pop off coming down the road again.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #5 of 7 Unread 08-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ya, im having this problem too, have a scangauge II and what im noticing is that under load and at WOT the boost on my scangauge is going negative, then boom! wondering if its a problem with overboost ? something blocked in intake manifold? ive changed boots twice now, first time ford boots and clamps (mistake) and then bought the mishimoto boots and clamps. also used hairspray. same thing. always on hot side. anyone have any recommendations before i tear the whole top of the motor off to look for blockages?
post #6 of 7 Unread 08-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcdaniel046.0 View Post
I should have specified about the intercooler it blew the side off the intercooler where it is crimped to the cooling fins
Missed the intercooler breaking in my last post. The plastic cooler has been known to burst like that. There’s a few metal inter coolers for replacement. May be the intercooler, hot side cCAC pipe and boots need changing.

Also, if there was something wrong with the MAP sensor, most usually the hose has holes, than the pressure reads less than usual and I guess the turbo could work harder than it needs to. Might want to check the MAP hose which is easy prior to opening up the engine.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #7 of 7 Unread 08-17-2019, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
right on, ya ill start replacing parts there. i appreciate the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode