6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Blue Smoke

Here is the dilemma... Turbo has 9K miles on it, original replaced for nearly identical issue as I am currently experiencing 13 months ago. Basically I can shut down a 4 lane highway at the traffic lights with blue smoke, good thing, I guess is people stay clear of me.
Have since pulled the dipstick, removed the fill cap and run every diagnostic test that Autel and AE offer - situation normal. There is considerable oil in the downpipe at the CAT pipe.

No smoke visible under acceleration, good boost numbers and no other noticeable detrimental issues.

Figuring for sure its yet again a failed Turbo, it was removed Tuesday evening boxed, and shipped NDA to dealer where purchased for warranty check-out Wednesday on Thursday, Dealer in turn received and checked-out turbo and, same day shipped back to me NDA - received last evening.

Upon removal, copious amount of oil in the exhaust turbine and down pipe. Y-pipe and intake all completely clean.

Turbo, had no obvious problem causing the oil to puke into the exhaust stream. Shaft rotation appears smooth and normal.

Dilemma is this : Dealer and their mechanic notes no issues with the turbo, no reason found for it to puke oil out the exhaust - thus no warranty replacement required.

Soooo - Would you re-install it and continue the search on the limited, thought to be checked issues that could be the problem or, bite the bullet and buy another turbo regardless on dealer findings?

Thanks - Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	720949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	720951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	720953  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a CCV delete or reroute on your truck? How long has it been smoking this time or did it ever really go away? Does your up pipe have oil in it, and was the compressor intake on the turbo that clean when you pulled it off? My truck did not like the CCV reroute, it was fine for a couple days then started smoking like a freight train at idle but was fine when I was on the throttle. I installed the factory CCV tube and the smoke went away immediately. Has there been any work done to the truck before the smoke started? What year is your truck, how many miles/hours are on the engine?
Jerry
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Jerry, thanks for your reply. Yes, been re-routing the CCV for over 6 years. Re-routes to a canister/filter then back to the intake. Been noticing smoke last 3 weeks or so, getting progressively worse over two weeks. No oil in up pipe and Y-pipe, both have the routine carbon. Intake is pristine, never even wiped it out for the picture. Confident at this point it's not an internal problem. All diagnostic checks - check out, no misfires. Engine feels strong otherwise, boost is good for a stock configuration.

No real work performed lately, believe last issue was this turbo 13 months ago. Engine has 196K plus on the clock with over 5K hours. Been predictable, no oil consumption noted - never a need to check the oil in 5K mile intervals for changing it. Blackstone Labs analyzes the oil every change - no issues thus far.

So, leary of re-installing this turbo since one its a daily driver - I need it to be reliable. Mechanics, garages and friends with loaner vehicles don't come cheap. I'd like to finally move on from at least the turbo issue these things have.

Do these engines really have that much crank case pressure to cause this much oil? It made its way to the Cat pipe before I finally couldn't take the embarrassment any longer. I did also, remove the oil fill cap and the dip stick with the engine at idle with, no noticeable pressure issue. Unless it builds in time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode