6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Some Help.

Ok I purchased a 2006 F-250 from a dealer. I know its been studded not deleted. YET. It looks like it was tuned from the previous owner and it looks like it had a pillar pod gauges. But I got a check engine light on today for injectors 1,4,6,7 circuit issue. After that it is now building a lot of boost. In the past month it hasn't been ridiculous, but leaving orileys it blew the rear tires off, and made max boost on the gauge (40psi). NEVER has done that before and this was at half throttle. I have know clue what it would be. I don't know if it was a boost leak but its extreme.
ANY HELP IS GREAT....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First thing I would do is bring it to a shop with a tech-2 computer and reflash your pcm to factory specs. Even studded, 40 psi is a lot on a 6.0. (I know, I know... there are guys running around on 60 ps,i but those motors are built for it. His doesn't sound like it is) Run it (tho it will not be fun) for a week and see what it is doing. Next I would get a tuner with custom tunes to your specific set up. I have had excellent experiences with Eric and Vivian at Quick Tricks out of Florida. They hooked me up with the SCT GTX before it was even publicly released or advertised for the 6.0, and their customer service is top notch. Do you have a monitor to see what your oil pressures are running? The injectors are run by oil pressure, if your Hpop is flaking out, it could cause issues. Also, do you run an oil modifier like Archoil? If not, I would highly suggest you start. Stiction is a B and this will help prevent it and in some cases resolve it if you have stiction already.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

They told me that I need an injector harness and an engine harness but they cant do the engine harness because its obsolete. I don't know what that's suppose to mean. It would cost me $2500. That to me seems like alot for an injector harness and for it to be installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Who's "they"? That is a lot!. I'm pretty sure that the engine harness and injector harness are available. I could have sworn I seen them online while shopping for some other parts. Just do a google search for a 2006 6.0 powerstroke wiring harness, you should be able to find some, even if they're aftermarket.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ford dealer.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is possible that the OEM engine harness is no longer available from ford, But I'm sure somebody has it. These trucks are common.I'd try to find a good diesel mechanic rather than the stealership. There might not be anything wrong with your harness except for a chafed wire or bad plug which is repairable.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I plan on doing. Also, might be a dumb question. But, if i'm having an injector harness issue why would I have an overboosting issue. Would those be linked. To me it doesn't make any sense.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The VGT might be stuck on your turbo. Thats why it really helps to have an engine monitor. You can monitor most things with the Torque app for your smart phone and a bluetooth code reader that plugs into your OBD2 port. You'll be able to monitor all kinds of engine sensors and functions that'll help you self diagnose these problems. Throwing money at it to hope it gets fixed can be really costly. Man. I feel for ya. When I got my 6.0 a few years back, I learned real quick that without some kind of engine monitor you're flying blind. The torque app is free but get the paid version, its way better and it only cost $5. The OBD2 bluetooth thingy can be had for under $50. There's a blue drivwer branded one that sells for $100 but I don't see what the big fuss is about. The cheap ones work just fine. The other nice thing is that you can pull the trouble codes off the ECM which will also give you a ton of needed info for diagnosing these things. Don't even hesitate, just get it.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lets slow down everyone wow....

wiring harnesses, reflashing pcms etc.

If you reflash your pcm and you have modified injectors you just screwed yourself. You need to get a monitor on that truck and see what all the codes are and work your way through each one. For example there is a common issue with the fuel injection control module (FICM) where the harness has some rub spots common on the 6.0L and the harness connectors under the FICM not being connected all the way/ ziptied because the clips broke. That could be causing your injector codes.

Also the boost issue is common with a dirty turbo. The turbo is not like older diesels its a variable geometry turbo (vgt) and if the fins on the unison ring are dirty, bad, rusty from a previous headgasket issue its common for them to stick and cause high/low boost issues. I would start watching dieseltechron's vidoes on youtube on how to monitor and what each sensor should read and how to track issues when one isn't right.

A very common monitor is a usb to obdII adapter for a laptop and download the forscan software (free) or a scangauge, or edge insight monitor. They are worth their weight in gold for especially a 6.0L owner. Do some research and don't go throwing money at anything until you watch some dieseltechron videos and do some googleing. There is a section on this forum that is called owning a 6.0l or what to look for with a 6.0L do some googeling and trust me you will begin to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the 6.0L.
fordsvtparts and 6.0Castle like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #10 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode