Intermittent Injector Balancer/Contribution Fault - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent Injector Balancer/Contribution Fault

Good afternoon,

Having what seems like I have ready every thread twice (Most end without a post as to what fixed the issue) I figured let me make my own.

My previous ride is a 2005 Lariat 6.0 fully Bulletproofed with 260k miles that I have had for the past 12 years but it has gotten rusty. So I bought a 2005 King Ranch 6.0 with 113k from Florida back in April. It is 100% stock (Ford air filter, OE exhaust, no tune) Put 1,000ish miles on it since then and it has run flawless. Awesome running truck! Its always had a P0404 & P0405 .... I swapped the EGR from old truck that was deleted and fixed those codes

Couple weeks ago on a trip to the store it began to run a a bit rough. Pulled up the Codes on my Edge CTS and It was a P0263 Cylinder #1 Code. Figured possibly a sticky injector so I changed the oil (15W40 Valvoline Premium Blue & Ford Filter), added ArchOil and changed the fuel filters with Ford Filters cleared the code. Ran better for 2-3 days and then it got worse so I parked it and changed the #1 injector with a Reman Injector from Ford Torqued to 28ft/lbs, when I was in there did the Updated standpipe and dummy plug on the passenger side (standpipe was actaully cracked). Finished it on Monday, started it ran it 75 miles no code, smooth running. Perfect! Job done.....Not

Yesterday pulled my camper home and it ran fine, unhooked it and went to a friends house a couple miles away. A mile up the road i felt a skip, down on power and it shifting funny (hard/late?). Got in his driveway, code P0263 again. It sat in his driveway until I went home roughly 4 hours. Started it up skip gone, cleared code and drove home. Drove to work this morning ran mint, no codes. Went to go to lunch felt the skipping, low power, shifting funny....feels like your dragging an anchor code P0263.

So I pop the hood, I check to be sure that the harness were all securely plugged in, took a quick look at the looms to see any obvious rubbing, removed the secondary fuel filter did the bubble test by jumping the starter wire. Not a single bubble. Engine cranks smooth and identical. Put the filter back in, fired it up and running smooth. Clear code and take it for a spin, runs perfect. Left it idle in parking lot (maybe 2-3 mins) to go inside and grab something, come back out an I can hear it running rough. Pull up the Codes and Get a P0281 Injector #7 Contribution ( this is the first time I have gotten a contribtuion code from a cylinder other than #1)

Can a Fuel Pressure Issue cause Contribution/Balance codes (I have blue spring kit just havent had time to swap it)? Possibly FICM issue ( even though it appears good voltage wise) ...... ? The EGR up-pipe is leaking (ticking) from the flex joint but I don't see that causing this issue

FICM 48.5V KOEO Battery Volts 12.1
FICM while cranking 48.5-48.0 Battery Voltage 11.8
FICM while Running cold @ start up 49.0 Battery Voltage 13.8-14.1
FICM Hot 49.0 Battery Voltage 13.8-14.1

IPC @ Idle 600ish..... running good or rough the PSI goes up when the pedal is pushed( when it runs good I see 3500psi at full pedal)
IPR @ idle 22% when the pedal is it will go up depending on how hard its pushed. Max Ive seen is 77% or so

It puts out no smoke when it runs rough, does drip a drop of oil or coolant. The Deltas are within 5-8 of eachother all the time.

Any ideas of what else to check

So needless to say I am back in my old truck until I get this figured out.

Last edited by nawtbird1; 06-20-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
how much fuel was in the tank, the lift pumps are serviceable and we know the pick ups fall off in the tank.

It could also be a harness issues.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When it put out the code the first time it was maybe around 1/2 tank. But then the next morning it ran fine, drove it a couple days without a problem. Threw code again, I did have to fill it that day as the 50miles till empty came on. That’s when I parked it because it was running bad.

It’s always picked on the #1 with every code up until the #7 code yesterday afternoon.

That is why I’m thinking it’s possibly fuel related or FICM.

Would you recommend servicing the HFCM or replacing it? And harness issue you are referring to FICM harness?

I’m going to get a fuel PSI gauge hooked to it to see what the fuel pressure is doing. I also am going to swap bulletproof FICM from old truck to see if it changes anything.

My buddy worked at ford but has since moved away so I don’t have access to his IDS

Last edited by nawtbird1; 06-21-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well truck died on me last night while driving, about a mile from my house. Truck ran great Friday-Sunday. Sat there for a few minuets waiting for a tow from my dad and I figured I’d try to start it. Cranked a bit and started but ran really bad, would only get up to 20mph. But got me home....

Once home we Opened the upper fuel bowl and it wasn’t full. So we keyed it on and it didn’t fill. Figured the whole problem all along has been a bad Fuel Pump.

Just finished putting on the new Ford HFCM and no change. Truck idled rough and eventually died in the driveway. Now I have Injector Balance Code on 1 & 3

May swap FICM with my other 2005.....but after I take the family camping this weekend.

Complete FICMs can just be swapped correct?

Dunno, I’m lost on this one otherwise. May have to take it somewhere for diagnosis

Last edited by nawtbird1; 06-24-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,029 Times in 925 Posts
Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Did you make sure that the FICM connectors are in good shape and well-seated? Even a FICM with a perfectly fine voltage can't overcome a loose connector.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
Did you make sure that the FICM connectors are in good shape and well-seated? Even a FICM with a perfectly fine voltage can't overcome a loose connector.
I haven’t removed them and actually looked into the plug. But I have given them all a good push and have followed the harness looking for any obvious chaffing.

Would a bad connection in the plug manifest itself as an intermittent problem?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,029 Times in 925 Posts
Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawtbird1 View Post
Would a bad connection in the plug manifest itself as an intermittent problem?
It certainly could.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #8 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawtbird1 View Post
...Once home we Opened the upper fuel bowl and it wasnít full. So we keyed it on and it didnít fill. Figured the whole problem all along has been a bad Fuel Pump.

Just finished putting on the new Ford HFCM and no change. Truck idled rough and eventually died in the driveway. Now I have Injector Balance Code on 1 & 3
Scratchin my head ...just threw a fuel pump on and moved on -- does the new pump fill the fuel bowl? -- what is the pressure?
collapsed hose, bad fuel pressure regulator, power supply to the pump

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post

Scratchin my head ...just threw a fuel pump on and moved on -- does the new pump fill the fuel bowl? -- what is the pressure?
collapsed hose, bad fuel pressure regulator, power supply to the pump
I dont have endless time at night to work on it, had to put the kids to bed so once the pump was finished I started it up and backed it out. Was letting it idle to be sure all air was out. Checking to be sure there were no leaks.

Yes the new pump fills the upper bowl, I can hear the pump running inside the truck( before starting key on, when running just kneeling by the door I can hear the pump. I did the blue spring update over the weekend but have not put an actual gauge on it yet. Order the adapter for one yesterday.

When I drained the old HFCM it had some nasty “booger’s” come out the water drain hole.

Last edited by nawtbird1; 06-24-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took the old HFCM apart....It had more globs of whatever. And what appears as Plastic "Bits" from the pickup screen? Possibly clogged??

Going to pump the tank empty tonight and drop the tank and inspect it. Also blow out the line between the HFCM and Tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5301.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	720313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5299.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	720315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	720317  

Last edited by nawtbird1; 06-25-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode