6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 05-10-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High EOT temps and Coolant 176-185

First off, thank you to all who helped me with my oil cooler gasket problem! You all were a huge help!!!

I have a 2003 F350 6.0. I had to do the Oil cooler over again as the kit I purchased 7 years ago had a green doorman gasket which was breaking apart and putting debris into my IPR = multiple no starts.

I replaced the oil cooler gasket and a new "improved Ford OEM" oil cooler with the OEM blue gasket. I replaced the coolant and oil. I also pulled the oil pan and valve covers to make sure there was no visible sediment. Once I had the truck back together, I flushed the oil system with new oil and ran it for 20 minutes, then shut it off and drained the oil into a 5 gallon bucket with a 25micron filter. I then reused the oil and filled the truck up again with the filtered oil to make sure I got rid of any residual sediment from the old gasket. I did this process 5 times. I then changed the oil and filter. I also changed my coolant which is and was Cat EC1.

I have a FICM stage 1 Atlas tune, no cat, EGR delete and coolant filter bypass. Before I changed my oil cooler, my coolant temps were around190ish and my delta's were about 15 deg apart. So, my EOT was about 208 on the road driving so just about a 15 deg. delta.

Now where the problem lies is that driving on the freeway, my coolant hovers around 176-185 max. My EOT = 222-225. My delta is significantly over 15 deg now with a NEW OEM oil cooler??? My delta's have been running about 30deg apart via coolant and oil temps??? Wondering if my thermostat is reaming open...but I have heat. Also, if it is stuck open, My oil should be running cooler. EOT 222?

I've no clue what's going on and obviously need some help figuring out what is causing my lower coolant and much higher EOT temps!

Please help!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add, the truck runs perfect, just hot. All data is via tuner pro rt.
post #3 of 59 Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well... first off, you are basing everything off of temps that aren't verified. You may want to first quickly verify the temps with an IR thermometer or something. Nothing hyper precise. You just want to know if the EOT=222F is in the ballpark. Same for coolant.

The ECT is too low. If it isn't a sensor issue, then you need to swap that stat out and *then* look at the delta.

If you still have too high of a delta, well... something related to the oil cooler isn't working. I have never known anyone with a clogged oil side. ...but I have never known anyone who went through a Dorman gasket meltdown. Crap clogging the coolant side is - of course - always a possibility. If that is the case, I would think that - since you are just getting going with this cooler - that backflushing would get it clear rather easily.
jokester00 likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

The interesting part of this story is that my delta's with the old oil cooler were about 15deg difference. 15deg above the coolant temp. Now, using the same TP program, my delta's are Way higher. I flushed everything. I pulled the HPOP cover, used compressed air and moved things checked with compressed air and check for the stand pipe leaks. No leaks so I left the system alone. I poured oil over the HPOP and into the oil valley before I drained the oil.

The other thing that perplexes me is that if the coolant temp is running low...176-185, the oil cooler should be running cooler too which would also cause the oil to be cooler?

I'm tired of working on this truck
post #5 of 59 Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes, I noticed that your delta went the wrong way. That's not good for morale.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

One problem is that flushing = kicking stuff up. Hard to say what might be in the cooler. But, you also messed with the harnesses during all of your work. Maybe your thermostat is going out and you have a EOT sensor connector issue. That's why I say that you are going to have to methodically step through it. I'm sure that you'll figure it out and then you will happily move on.

I have to ask...

You are absolutely 100% sure that this is a genuine Motorcraft oil cooler. There is a company on eBay that calls themselve "OEM" that - according to eBay's rules - accurately lists their coolers as "OEM Ford oil coolers." ...and they are nothing of the sort.
jokester00 likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 59 Old 05-11-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

thermostat

I replaced the oil cooler with this one. Says OEM with correct part number and correct gasket. swag performance parts.... I can not post link yet
As far as flushing the engine. I did the VC9 flush 6 years ago and added CAT EC1. I did not flush the coolant this go round, I only changed it out for new coolant. The coolant was clear with no oil or contaminates in it. The "flushing" I was referring to was my oil system. Once I found the sediment in the oil cooler valley filter, I purchased some cheap oil. Once I opened up the oil cooler valley and the HPOP, I poured 2 quarts of oil in each valley and let it drain. Then, I drained the oil completely. Once the truck was done, I added a new oil filter, new oil and new coolant. The flushing was me running the truck for 20 minutes, draining the oil into a 5 gallon bucket with a 25 micron filter. Then adding that oil into the engine again for a total of 5 times. Then, I changed the filter and oil. I was attempting to move any contaminates out fo the engine.

Anyhow, how could a malfunctioning thermostat cause this problem? My heat blows heat, ac works too?????

Confused!

*Thanks for the help! *
post #7 of 59 Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
Confusing as it seems, you must trust the process.

1. After 12+hrs of the truck sitting, verify EOT/ECT/Trans temp sensor are within a degree or two of each other KOEO.

2. If everything looks good, drain a gallon or two of coolant and swap in a new OEM t-stat.

3. Get the truck up to operating temps and then find a long stretch of road to test your deltas. Set the cruise at 65MPH (~1900 RPM's) and drive it for 15 miles - after 15 miles, check your deltas. The oil cooler should be good and saturated by then.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
ARP's with OEM gaskets
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Upgrade
post #8 of 59 Old 05-11-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

The one problem with that method. . . My Tuner Pro does not read my ECT's until it gets to a certain temp. It reads 0.0 till it hits about 128deg. It always has done this and it is very fussy I did get a new T-stat and will do the advised procedure
post #9 of 59 Old 05-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
The one problem with that method. . . My Tuner Pro does not read my ECT's until it gets to a certain temp. It reads 0.0 till it hits about 128deg. It always has done this and it is very fussy I did get a new T-stat and will do the advised procedure
No problems...just drive the truck till you see the ECT where it usually maxes out. Then, get on the highway and set the cruise.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
ARP's with OEM gaskets
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Upgrade
post #10 of 59 Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Changed the T-stat. No ****ing change!!! I"m pissed of and hate this ****ing truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in