1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 04-09-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Coolant smell questions

So about a year and a half ago I put the truck under the knife. Truck got a new oil cooler, studs, and gaskets. Truck has been running just fine which is making this really frustrating. Over the past month I have been noticing a little coolant loss from time to time. My deltas are like 8* difference at like 80mph pulling a load. That being said I have noticed when I shut the truck off after getting home I notice a strong coolant smell. I normally don't use the a/c I normally just roll the windows down but last week I had the family with me so I used the ac. I noticed that while getting on the throttle I would smell coolant like it was coming through the vent. I know that this can be a egr cooler issue but mine was deleted years ago. I checked under the passenger side for signs of wetness under the heater core and it seems dry. Does anyone have some suggestions on what this could be? I am hoping it is not another head gasket but know that is an option. Oh I also don't every see a puddle under the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The heater core is probably bad. It may be leaking just enough to evaporate and send the vapors into the air ducts. Do you see steam as well through air vents? Or just the smell? Does your windows fog up when you first start the truck and stays that way for a few minutes until the truck warns up (my car is doing this right now 😞 )?

These are signs that your heater core has broken.

https://thehappycar.com/5-signs-heater-core-busted/
jokester00 likes this.

2007 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4. Lots of upgrades, but not enough. It's tall, too tall. Yes, I'm obviously compensating for something.

UPGRADES:
EGR Delete, RedHead Steering Gear, Blue Spring Upgrade, ARP Studs, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Coolant Filter, (Let's not mention this manufacturers name) Blue Intercooler Pipe and Elbow Upgrade, Cold Air Intake, One-Up Offroad Traction Bars, XD Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" Tires, LED Lights all around, 2013 Tailgate, 2008+ Power Mirrors, Pro-Comp XXX Dual Front Coilover Suspension, Custom Bedliner Sprayed Rocker Panels and Fender Flares, Amerihood Tpe E-Style Ram Air/Heat Extraction Hood, CompuStar Alarm with Remote Windows, Remote Start, and much more!
More upgrades to come, including Singer Alternator, and other engine upgrades.

NEW Custom Bumpers with Tire Carrier! Dual Winches!
post #3 of 36 Old 04-10-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter Member

my windshield does fog up most of the time but I figured it is just early in the am. Didn't notice steam but wasn't looking that hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 04-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Garage
Check and see if your passenger's side floorboard is damp or wet at all...

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #5 of 36 Old 04-11-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter Member

So I just put the truck through a little test today with no a/c on and no smell of coolant except when I shut the truck off I can smell it towards the front of the truck. I know the other day when I had the a/c on it was a bad smell when accelerating. Still don't feel any damp carpet on the passenger side under the heater core. Is it still possible that it is the heater core?
post #6 of 36 Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockley6.0 View Post
So I just put the truck through a little test today with no a/c on and no smell of coolant except when I shut the truck off I can smell it towards the front of the truck. I know the other day when I had the a/c on it was a bad smell when accelerating. Still don't feel any damp carpet on the passenger side under the heater core. Is it still possible that it is the heater core?
It's still possible, however, it's also possible that you have a small external leak and the smell is getting pulled through the vents. Time to bust out a good light and the telescoping mirror and give the ole' gal a thorough exam. Water pump, heater hoses, heater core valve on passenger side, radiator, etc. Check it all over good.

Your coolant system isn't pressurizing and puking out of your degas cap, right?

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #7 of 36 Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter Member

I do feel like it does gain some pressure but no puking. That is what has me confused. I'll try to give it the detailed inspection here in the next few days.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-12-2019, 01:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Fab up a psi sensor for the cooling system. Tee a line into the degas bottle with a sensor to see how much pressure it's building
post #9 of 36 Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Your local parts store may rent for free a coolant pressure tester. Mine didn't, but so had to buy one from harbor freight. Found three coolant links on my car using this kit.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=jokester00;16270671]It's still possible, however, it's also possible that you have a small external leak and the smell is getting pulled through the vents. Time to bust out a good light and the telescoping mirror and give the ole' gal a thorough exam. Water pump, heater hoses, heater core valve on passenger side, radiator, etc. Check it all over good.

Your coolant system isn't pressurizing and puking out of your degas cap, right?

-jokester[/QUOTE
Yes, check for leaks! When I first installed my coolant filter, I had a small leak from the heater core hose that would vaporize and send a coolant smell into the cab when the heat was running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode