P2286, P2287, P2138, P2139, P0405 trouble codes and rough running. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P2286, P2287, P2138, P2139, P0405 trouble codes and rough running.

I've got an 05 f250 6.0l, I keep up on repairs and change the oil and fuel filters regularly. The truck is stock accept for an EGR delete but the EGR sensor is still in place and plugged in. I've been having some issues with the truck that are similar to this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...code-help.html . i read through that post pretty well and studied wiring diagrams pretty well and i;'m just not getting this.
The truck was running great until about a month ago when I went to tow my boat to Florida, Its just a 21ft tritoon that weights maybe 3800#s. I got about 3hrs into the trip and the truck stated I would say hiccupping and then started running a little rough. then the Wrench light came on. I have an Edge CTS 2 so I checked the codes and I had a number of codes. The codes I got initially where:
p0405
P2138
p2139
p2286
p2287
I brought the truck into a Ford dealer who had a fleet/commercial department to diagnose the truck. they said that everything was where it should be on their computer. They did a wiggle test on wires while truck was running and drove the truck while graphing data and found nothing. the truck did not act up.

Next we drove the next 1000 miles with no problems. although a P2286 ICP code did come up a time or two the truck ran great. while I Florida, the truck continued to run fine however I did keep seeing a p2286 ICP code a time or two but this did not affect drivability.

When we went to return home 3 weeks later the truck ran great for the first 300 miles no problems at all. We stopped the first night in Georgia. The next day the truck started acting up like it had done I the beginning only worse. I kept seeing P2286, P2287, P0405, P2138, P2139. I would clear the codes and they would return sometimes an EBP code would come up at well sometimes the ICP codes would come up but not the ACC pedal codes. The truck ran like crap. I could barley get power up hills it would spit and spudder so badly that it was almost undriveable. When i shut the truck off and let it sit for 5 minutes the truck starts and runs great, then a couple minutes into driving the starts shuddering again and starts acting up.

I replaced the EBP sensor and pigtail about 20,000 miles ago with an OEM part, I just replaced the ICP sensor but not the pigtail (the pigtail was replaced about 30,000 miles ago). I have tried to unplug each sensor individually and it does not improve drivability. I unplugged the batteries and let them sit for 20 minutes and again it will run fine for about 2-3 minutes max then it will start acting up again.

After the truck as been shut off for a few minutes and restarted ICP PSI seems normal at 575 idle and about 4017psi at WOT (icp volts at 4.7v WOT). when the truck states acting up ICP psi at idle jumps to 870PSI at idle and maintains 3450 at WOT with ICP volts at 3.5 WOT.
KOEO ICP volts 0.2v
ICP volts @ low idle were 1.5-1.6v they dropped to 1.2v @ high idle when not fully warm
ICP volts @ low idle were 1.2 v (850 psi) they rose to 1.3v (980 psi) on high idle fully warmed up.

i used a voltmeter to check VREF at each sensor and ICP, MAP, EGR, EBP, and the Pedal all had 4.99v constant. its worth noting that the ICP did start at 5.07v and then moved down to 4.99v but did not change from 4.99v.

I don't really know what else to do. This seems like it should be a ICP issue but everything is testing fine. I mean i know the VREF connects the pedal, map, egr, ebp, baro, and icp sensors but they all seem fine. Its also weird that when the truck is idling at 850psi i can rev it up slightly and the ICP psi does not change. if i give it a little more gas it will climb above 850psi. Its almost as though ICP is actually at 570psi but the sensor thinks its higher. Maybe this is just me making things up in my head though. its so weird to me that the truck runs perfect when its left to sit for awhile then will act up a few minutes later.

2005 f250 ccsb

Xdp coolant filter
Cat coolant
Updated stc fitting, dummy plugs and stand pipes
EGR delete
CCV reroute
Cryo treated rotors and hawk lts pads
Edge CTS2 gauges
mobile delvac 1 5w-40
Firestone Airbags
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,016 Times in 913 Posts
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was completely suspecting a Vref issue until I got to the fact that you suspected it, as well. ...and haven't found issues. That 5.07V thing is a little weird, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Was your monitoring of Vref during good behavior or bad behavior or both? If it was only during good behavior, you know where I will go next.

That said... You may want to make your monitoring of Vref both permanent and very fast. Like chart recorder fast. Maybe the voltage drops are intermittent but enough to cause codes and mess up the works.

I hate to stay stuck on Vref, but with those codes...

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #3 of 21 Old 03-14-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

The monitoring of vref was done KoEo. Should monitor it while driving? The best way I can think is to run a wire off the ICP vref and run it into the cab and hook it to a voltmeter and monitor it while driving.
djmaguire likes this.

2005 f250 ccsb

Xdp coolant filter
Cat coolant
EGR delete
CCV reroute
Edge CTS2 gauges
mobile delvac 1 5w-40
Firestone Airbags
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I did some data logging on the cts 2 that I just remembered while on the trip that I want to review while it was acting up but I don't think my edge can monitor vref

2005 f250 ccsb

Xdp coolant filter
Cat coolant
EGR delete
CCV reroute
Edge CTS2 gauges
mobile delvac 1 5w-40
Firestone Airbags
Bilstein 5100 shocks
post #5 of 21 Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew7924 View Post
The monitoring of vref was done KoEo. Should monitor it while driving? The best way I can think is to run a wire off the ICP vref and run it into the cab and hook it to a voltmeter and monitor it while driving.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. If this is some heat or vibration related thing, you are not likely to see it KOEO. It doesn't take much to throw a code and - perhaps - take you into some PCM code management strategy.

I'd either watch it or monitor it with something that is fast (o-scope) or a meter that has min/max tracking.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

So I hooked up a voltmeter to the ICP sensor VREF wire and drove the truck. It started off fine at 5.07v and held there at idle. Then when I drove it generally stayed at 5.07 or so but the truck started to act up and vref started to go crazy. It dropped to 3.62v check engine light came on then it went back up to normal then it would drop one time to 4.82 but no stumbling then it would look normal then it would drop into the 3v range and start stumbling. Here is a video I took of it.

https://youtu.be/bUGlkzBcIXM

So it looks like it's vref that's causing the problem..now what do I do to fix it?

2005 f250 ccsb

Xdp coolant filter
Cat coolant
EGR delete
CCV reroute
Edge CTS2 gauges
mobile delvac 1 5w-40
Firestone Airbags
Bilstein 5100 shocks
post #7 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Garage
ICP sensor is where I would start since they can be problematic anyways -- is there oil in the connector? Engine will run with it disconnected …well all of them I suppose. Kinda of a PIA, but you could disconnect one sensor at a time and drive a bit to see if it still acts up -- less expensive but time consuming

Keep the Vref monitor hooked up.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
ICP sensor is where I would start since they can be problematic anyways -- is there oil in the connector? Engine will run with it disconnected …well all of them I suppose. Kinda of a PIA, but you could disconnect one sensor at a time and drive a bit to see if it still acts up -- less expensive but time consuming

Keep the Vref monitor hooked up.
So like I said in the original post I already replaced the ICP sensor and I've already unplugged one sensor at a time.

2005 f250 ccsb

Xdp coolant filter
Cat coolant
EGR delete
CCV reroute
Edge CTS2 gauges
mobile delvac 1 5w-40
Firestone Airbags
Bilstein 5100 shocks
post #9 of 21 Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Point #1 - You may have a harness chafing issue. You might try using a nonconductive doodad (e.g. stick) to push on the harness to see if you can cause Vref to go low when it is not. This thread may help:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...s-chafing.html

Point #2 - I generally don't like swap-and-see repairs and also typically don't recommend Dorman, but... Dorman markets a pedal assembly for the 6.0 that is both generally regarded to be good and is inexpensive ($60ish). Since you have the pedal codes, you may consider just swapping it out. It takes like 3 minutes. I have had one for years. It has worked fine and - if nothing else - I was happy to get a refreshed spring.

Point #3 - I can't see why - ever - a PCM would be making 5.07V for Vref. ...and it's either that or something else laying it on the line. So - unfortunately - you should probably have the possibility of a failing PCM in your mind. The PCM dropping Vref too low doesn't seem overly absurd if it is also sometimes driving it too high.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
post #10 of 21 Old 03-16-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

I will check the harness. Is the best way to do this is to put the voltmeter in the ICP KoEo and use a stick to poke the harness?

Through cheapest I can find the doorman pedal is $130 so I guess prices have gone up which kinda sucks.

If I did get a new pcm can I get a referbished one or does it need to be OEM new

2005 f250 ccsb

Xdp coolant filter
Cat coolant
EGR delete
CCV reroute
Edge CTS2 gauges
mobile delvac 1 5w-40
Firestone Airbags
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in