4.5L powerstroke in a food truck - long start/hot stall - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4.5L powerstroke in a food truck - long start/hot stall

Hello,

I have lurked around a good bit, but have a unique situation I was hoping you guys could chime in on.

I have a 2009 workhorse stepvan with a VT275/4.5L powerstroke/Maxxforce5 (probably some other name I don't know). Its joined to an Allison 1000 auto trans.

It has 140k miles. It appears that almost everything is the same as the 6.0 powerstroke so if anyone can help I think its you guys! Long story short, I've built this thing into a pizza food truck in my driveway and was driving it around the other day on one of these insanely hot summer days and it stalled out while leaving a parking lot in the middle of the road. Basically, it just lost power and then sputtered out to a dead stop. It started back up after a long start and then took off like nothing happened. Later that day after idling again in a parking lot, it did the same thing but this time would start up and then stall a few feet later. We let the engine cool completely, then started up and drove home just fine with no issues! It will always start up, but then stall when I assume it has idled a bit and got really hot. It will sound fine, but as soon as we put it in drive and it starts shuttering and creeps along a few feet then stalls.

The truck has always had a very long start (10-20 seconds), but always starts

It has requested several DPF deletes in the last 100 miles

There is an intermittent CEL, but I have struggled to get it to output the code. It has a J1939 interface.

No white smoke, when its not stalling it appears to drive fine, sounds good.. all stalls have followed a short idle in a parking lot

I bought a scan gauge D and have gotten custom gauges from them, but it has not been very helpful, no FICM, no IPR, or most of the things I would find useful here. It does give me ICP readings which are reading in the 400's upon start and the 200's when running, which makes no sense to me.. so I question whether they are really accurate readings or proper gauges.

We are terrified of breaking down with a truck full of food... where would you start trouble shooting this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Fummins Mod

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Garage
@LoxDiesel @toren302

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

P-Pump 12 Valve/NV4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
When a saint tells you, ya gotta listen.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Have you ever put fuel filters in it? Did you use ford filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@loxdce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode