Does this sound like a sticky turbo unison ring...or something else? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 Old 01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should not be at 40 psi EBP at idle. Ever.
Did you check the MAP hose and connection? Did you verify that the nipple on the intake is not clogged? Have you checked the IAT2 sensor on the drivers side of the intake manifold? Have you checked the EBP tube to see if it was clogged? Did you replace or repair the "crummy" VGT pigtail?

You may very well have a harness problem, but you are not freely giving information that I and others have asked for.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 01-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post

Unless you are reading from an SCT Livewire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #13 of 22 Old 01-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^Good point. I forget that all data given in various posts may not be true data. Only what the method invoked gives. I'll defer on that point. Still think we're missing some important information though.
backhoebill likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
Did you check the MAP hose and connection? Did you verify that the nipple on the intake is not clogged? Have you checked the IAT2 sensor on the drivers side of the intake manifold? Have you checked the EBP tube to see if it was clogged? Did you replace or repair the "crummy" VGT pigtail?

You may very well have a harness problem, but you are not freely giving information that I and others have asked for.

Sorry, I will try to answer everything the best I can. And yes, I'm viewing the date with my SCT X4, and sometimes my Torque App on my phone.

MAP hose and connection are good, nipple on intake is not clogged.

No, I have not checked the IAT2 sensor....but I will do that. What am I looking for? A crummy connector?

I have ordered a new VGT pigtail, but it hasn't came in yet. I pulled the connector off and inspected it really well...it's really not as bad as I thought, but I will still replace it.

I pulled the EBP sensor just now, it was full of junk, I cleaned out the sensor....and ran a line down the tube to the manifold...and blew it out with compressed air.

I guess I will have a better idea in the morning after it's cooled down. If it fires up and I don't hear that turbo whistle out of the exhaust......it's time to drive my car to work in the morning. Thanks again for the help, I really do appreciate it.

The one thing I'm still stumped about is when it's doing it's "low boost" thing.....why am I seeing 10psi boost at wide open throttle according to the SCT X4, but I'm not seeing any boost at all on the dash gauge?

post #15 of 22 Old 01-23-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Well, it fired up this morning just fine....and ran great. Not sure if the problem was the EBP sensor or not. The only other thing I did to it was load up an SCT tune file that turned off the EGR valve.

I guess I will drive it for a few days and see how it does.
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Garage
Well I'm late to the party but had the same thing happen to are Excursion...It was the EBP sensor there like 120$ at ford and its been running fine every since...The boost thing was crazy just like you said at the start of the thread..
would read neg boost #'s then go to like 25 to 30 pounds crazy

New 2019 F350 CCLB Platinum
Last Truck 2006 F350 CCLB KR

I'm out old man. I'm just a pecker-wood who lives in the woods with too many guns. Ya happy?"
post #17 of 22 Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
@iqraceworks is everything still good after cleaning your eb sensor and tube?
post #18 of 22 Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

So far so good. I've driven the truck to work every day this week and haven't had a single problem.

I think before I'm going to assume it's fixed, I'm going to switch back to the stock tune and run it for a week. If it acts up on the stock tune, I'm going to say it's either an egr valve issue (SCT tune turns egr off), or maybe the stock tune looks at the EBP sensor, and the SCT tune doesn't??

I will report back what I find.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-26-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

***UPDATE***

Well....I ran the truck all week long, every day I drove it to work and all around town. No issues...ran perfect, no fault codes....ran perfect!! This was all after cleaning the EBP sensor...AND running on a canned SCT street tune with the EGR turned off.

So tonight after I get home from work I figured I would switch back to the stock tune just to see what happened. Well, it fired right up and seemed to run good....but when I scanned for fault codes....I'm back to getting the PO299 low boost fault.

So now I'm stumped.....what would it run fine on a tune, but throw a P0299 code on the stock tune? I'm guessing that tomorrow morning when I fire it up, it's going to have that low boost issues again.

So what does the stock tune monitor that the SCT tunes don't? This is very frustrating!!

One thing I did notice is that with the SCT tune, it always idles at 85% VGT...I'm assuming that's to get the turbo whine sound out of the exhaust. When I went back to the stock tune, it stayed on 15% for a long time, then started doing it's sweeping thing.

At this point....I don't even know where to start. Ideas??
post #20 of 22 Old 01-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
When i had an ebp/map correlation issue, my vgt was at .15. Even when my aftermarket sensor was reading close to right. Something in that loop is not jiving. Unplug the ebp, and it should read 21.48 default. Odd how a rune changes it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode