Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo is most likely dying?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  oxthegrunt 
#1 ·
So, my turbo started making a high pitch squealing noise more noticeable at higher boost levels. It still makes boost like normal, and I haven't noticed a loss of power just the new noise. Also, when I shut the truck off this morning, as the turbo wound down, it made a sound I would associate with a starter going bad. It sounds horrible. I haven't started the truck since then, but it makes me think it's about to grenade on me. The truck is a 2005 F-250 CCSB. Has been fully bulletproofed, has a 4" Turbo back straight pipe, and an SCT Livewire TS+ for monitoring and programming. Also has 215000 miles on the ticker. I tow a 5th wheel with a gooseneck adapter every so often and a Kubota tractor along with some other lighter loads. I'm thinking I'm just going to replace the turbo altogether, but was think about spending a little extra money to get a better turbo. I want to keep my towing ability, but also like to have fun and go fast from time to time. I don't have any plans to upgrade the fuel system anytime soon, but if I did I wouldn't go with crazy injectors, 155 or 175 at most. Any advice on which route to go would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I believe a repair kit should do it if you fix it soon enough.

I'd take the intake pipe out and feel for play on the wheel. Check if the blades are indeed touching the housing. If they aren't a rebuild will probably save it. If they are you can get a new upgraded wheel, or a new turbo. KC turbos is always a good stop and they have quite a few options that will retain towing ability.. @peixinho

#3 ·
When peixnho replies, his shop can help. I thought it was Phoenixho though. If you're looking for a reason to get a turbo, this could be it.

I'm relatively stock and would like to see lower EGTs. A turbo in some cases lowers temps, other cases the same turbo won't. Yearly inspections make a turbo back straight pipe not an option. I'm replacing an exhaust manifold because it's leaking, and most people report this bringing EGT's down. Afterwards if temps are higher than I'd like, could be a turbo myself, if mine were looking like it was going to go, I'd get a new the turbo sooner than I thought.

#4 ·
I think it's the bearings that are toast, not really sure though. I had told myself that if anything happened to the turbo I was gonna replace it instead of rebuilding. It's not a bad truck at all and I plan on keeping it for the long haul, at least another 5-10 years and want it to be as solid as possible. I was mildly researching the powermax prior to the current issues, but have heard that some people are seeing slow spool times. Was worried that would affect towing. A lot of posts I've seen show people recommending the KC turbos, but I didn't know if the extra 300-400 over the powermax was worth it? Considering the powermax is already about 300-400 north than a stock turbo?

#5 ·
A lot of posts I've seen show people recommending the KC turbos, but I didn't know if the extra 300-400 over the powermax was worth it? Considering the powermax is already about 300-400 north than a stock turbo?
I had a shop install a powermax. Way too loud for me. Two weeks later I replaced it with a KC TurboTax Stage 1, and immediately noticed a big difference. Quicker spool up and just smoother as you stay on the throttle. Very pleased with it highly recommend one. The pmax is listed in the classifieds. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

#6 ·
KC Stage 2 R. This is the only turbo that pulls like a madman and still spools like stock. I put my stock turbo with a billet wheel back on, and it runs great, but my egts are higher, and it falls flat after a decent bottom-to-mid pull. I can get on a freeway onramp and merge with traffic at 65 pulling 9k trailer. But egts will hit 1400+. With S2R turbo I may hit 1300+ and be passing traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: john galt
#10 ·
i am trying to save for an s2r from charlie at kc turbos
best of al worlds really. i plan to install one as soon as i possibly can...
in the mean time
running an mtw stage 2 now and it is amazing top end but a little laggy towing.

Reactions: backhoebill
#11 ·
i am trying to save for an s2r from charlie at kc turbos

best of al worlds really. i plan to install one as soon as i possibly can...

in the mean time

running an mtw stage 2 now and it is amazing top end but a little laggy towing.

If anyone can benefit from an S2R, it is you. I pulled some fuel from Looney when I lived at 5,000'. Too smokey with stock turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
If it is making that much sound while winding down then I would pull off the intake filter ASAP and inspect for damage. If the wheel is rubbing the housing and/or you have too much play in the turbo then you do not want to continue to drive it. If you hear a loud grinding noise after you shut the truck off and the motor has quit spinning... that normally points to a bad turbo just like you were thinking.

If there is just a little excess play and no damage to the wheels then you can rebuild the turbo. Here is a link to where you can buy a rebuild kit.
https://kcturbos.net/collections/6-0-powerstroke/products/kc-6-0-360-rebuild

But... this would also be the perfect time for a small upgrade that will help clean up the fuel better, make more power, and tow better. For 155s or smaller we recommend the stage 1 turbo. Here is a link.
https://kcturbos.net/collections/6-0-powerstroke/products/kc6-0-powerstroke-stage-1-61mm-turbo

For 175/30 we recommend our stage 2 or stage 2r... but the stage 2r is out of stock. Here is a link to our normal stage 2 turbo. Just remember when bumping up to a stage 2 turbo you will notice a little lag down low in the rpms and will have to keep your rpms up a little while towing.
https://kcturbos.net/collections/6-0-powerstroke/products/kc-6-0-stage2-turbo

#13 ·
Thank you for replying, I hear you are the man to talk to when it comes to turbos. It definitely sounded horrible when I shut it off, so I'll pull the air intake tube and take a look as soon as I get a chance. However, I've pretty much decided to replace it, just need to decide what to replace it with, lol. For upgrades I'm in between three choices: your stage 1, your stage 1.5, and the powermax. I've also thought about putting a new stock one on also for cost reasons. I'm leaning more towards an upgraded turbo because I'm still kicking myself for not installing upgraded injectors while I had the chance, lol. I also like the idea of lower EGTs, and more power.

I had been thinking of going with the powermax for some time, but when doing some additional research I was seeing that people were experiencing lag and having some issues while towing. That's when I started seeing lots of reccomendations for your turbos. I'm trying to keep cost down, but I am also a firm believer in paying for quality once rather than skimping a little and ending up paying again.

I was hoping you could explain the difference between your offerings and the PMax? I know what the difference in the numbers is, but I'm just not sure what those numbers translate to in everyday driving/towing. Also, the 10 blade vs 13 blade turbine. I know the 10 blade makes the sweet sound, and flows a little better. But is that extra flow beneficial in some way for someone in my driving situation?

I know you probably get asked these questions a lot, and I thank you for taking the time to help educate the less turbo savvy.

#16 ·
I went with the Stage 1. I spoke with peixinho and he said that they were recommending the 1 or the 2 rather than the 1.5. I'm also changing to the metal cold side tube, replacing the boots, and adding a CSF 6028 intercooler. I'm also moding the CCV. I've bought the stuff to run it back to the intake, but I'm flirting with the idea of running it to the atmosphere. I went with the 13 blade turbine also, as peixinho said any gains I saw with the 10 blade would be up top. Since I tow heavy sometimes, I thought it would be best to keep the power down low and reduce and possible lag. The truck isn't finished yet so I can't speak to how it works, but will let you know for sure when it's done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.