6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ignition Switch issue

Hi, new guy here. Hope this is the right place to put this. I just bought an 05 6.0 PS FX4. The seller only had one key, and since buying it, I noticed that when you pull the key out of the ignition, sometimes the truck still thinks the key is in, so when you open the door, the chime dings, and it won't let you lock the driver's side door. Most of the time I can jiggle the ignition switch to get it to go off.

The driver's side door lock was boogered up because at some point, I guess, someone had tried to break into it. So with this, and only having one key, I decided to just order a kit off Amazon for two new lock cylinders, two keys, and an ignition cylinder. So last night I put them all in, and all work great, except the ignition switch still sometimes thinks the key is in the ignition when you pull it out, so the chime stays on when you open the door. If you put the key back into the ignition and pull it back out, sometimes it will stop. I'm not sure what is causing it now, with new parts and all. I did a search before I posted, but didn't see anything like what I have going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nobody has had this happen on their trucks???

Doug
post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is wire with a wierd connector on the end that goes on the ignition lock cylinder that tells the truck when the key is in the ignition. They usually break and cause this issue. Did you happen to notice if it was loose when you installed it on the new cylinder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't even remove the column cover when I put the new one in. I just pressed the detent on the bottom of the lock cylinder, pulled the old one out and slid the new one in. What's the fix for the loose connection??? What happens if you disconnect the wire? Does the truck think the key is stuck in the ignition without the wire or what?

Doug
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The wire is grounded to indicate key in ignition. Take the lock cylinder back out, look at the part where the cylinder goes in. At about the 7-8 o’clock position on the outer edge, you will see a plastic clip type connector with a wire connected to it and a copper colored tang sticking out of it. That tang is what grounds out on the column. The plastic gets old and breaks then the tang touches the column and grounds. You can just cut that off if you want, but your key in chime won’t work anymore. I don’t think there are issues if you do cut it. I have fixed them with zip ties before. Put it back in position, put a big zip tie around the cylinder housing.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I went to lunch the other day, and when I got back to work it wouldn't stop chiming no matter what I did. So I looked took the shroud bottom off, and jiggled the black wire with a purple tracer, and out popped a black connector with some copper contacts. Chime stopped, Problem solved.

I did also take the cover off under the dash where the fuse panel is, and there's a little square black speaker in there that sounded like it was where the chiming was coming from, but I couldn't tell. I discovered that my truck was wired by the PO for a sirius head unit, so maybe it has something to do with that.......

Thanks for your help guys.

Doug
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had that clip break on mine too and I ziptied it, but I wondered if anyone knows the part number so that I can replace it. Thanks!

Kerry

06 F350

Diamond Eye 4" Turbo back
EGR Delete
Blue spring
PMM coolant filter
Edge Insight CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure sensor (and a camera for viewing my ponies in the trailer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode