Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/)
-   -   Stock stereo question (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/1346701-stock-stereo-question.html)

sevenmalards 07-30-2018 11:14 PM

Stock stereo question

HI all,
Is there a stock stereo that fits in an 06 king ranch dash that has bluetooth, usb and all that stuff?

Heavy_GD 07-31-2018 05:37 AM

sevenmalards 07-31-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 16130445)

That thing is garbage. I'm looking for an updated/newer stock insert.

Heavy_GD 07-31-2018 10:13 AM

are you saying that all 82 products on that page are garbage?

nighthawk285 07-31-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenmalards (Post 16130401)
HI all,
Is there a stock stereo that fits in an 06 king ranch dash that has bluetooth, usb and all that stuff?

In a word....no. There isn't a stock/OEM stereo that works in the 06 interior with BT/USB, etc. The best variant you can get is one from an 08-10, but they have to be sent out to be reprogrammed since they're tied into the CANBUS system on the newer rigs and that only gives you OEM NAV....still won't have BT/USB, etc..

sevenmalards 07-31-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 16130613)

I'm saying if I wanted some ghetto looking piece of crap, I would get a top of the line pioneer or kenwood. I'm trying to maintain the stock appearance of my interior.

sevenmalards 07-31-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 16130613)

So, my mistake. I didn't even scroll down the first time I looked. Scrolling down I see some of the big screen units, I think that may be what I have to go to......Its much cheaper than buying a new truck with bluetooth.....

Heavy_GD 07-31-2018 12:20 PM

Right on, I was so damn confused by your responses... There are some really nice touch screen double din units.

2wheel 07-31-2018 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a kenwood unit from crutchfield with BT/USB. It's a nice unit. At least I'm happy with it

2wheel 07-31-2018 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted the USB here.

ZMANN 07-31-2018 01:18 PM

The Ford stock head unit was pretty poor in the King Ranch (other than the 6 disc capability ) Audio wise it sucked IMO I replaced it with a Pioneer Double din and was glad to spend that money

powerstrokeshellback 07-31-2018 01:21 PM

you can buy my stock radio out of my 2016 but you will need the sync stuff to get BT and USB

voodooridr 07-31-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMANN (Post 16130783)
The Ford stock head unit was pretty poor in the King Ranch (other than the 6 disc capability ) Audio wise it sucked IMO I replaced it with a Pioneer Double din and was glad to spend that money

Same issues with the 6 disc in my '04, no power and kinda crappy sound, Kenwood head unit and Pioneer speakers were the best money I've spent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ZMANN 07-31-2018 01:26 PM

I did the HU first and was really impressed with the OEM speakers ( surprising I know )

of course i replaced those later also because,, well ,, it's the thing to do LOL

sevenmalards 08-01-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheel (Post 16130777)
I mounted the USB here.

that looks clean!

powerstrokeshellback 08-01-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nummy76 (Post 16131383)
Does anyone know if any of these aftermarket radios will still let you use the buttons on the steering wheel

yes, usually you have to buy a separate adapter or harness.

i bought my pioneer nex through crutchfield and had them remove the units (from my search) that didnt have that capability.

USAF93 08-01-2018 05:25 PM

I can't get over the prices of Crutchfield. I know they have great customer service but if I bought something and then never used the customer service I'd feel ripped off. There is a Crutchfield store near my house so you would think they would have some clearance stuff a little closer to normal price. Nope. Neat store setup but that's about it.

powerstrokeshellback 08-01-2018 05:37 PM

They weren't very off compared to other name brand stores...

USAF93 08-01-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback (Post 16131681)
They weren't very off compared to other name brand stores...

Maybe I'm just cheap :rofl:

Heavy_GD 08-02-2018 06:16 AM

thats what Craigslist and Marketplace are for

USAF93 08-03-2018 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 16131963)
thats what Craigslist and Marketplace are for

I do like those! I'm also a big fan of the Chinese radios. I've had a couple and I think they are great. I love iGo8 nav. And these units generally run about $300 or less vice $1k.

Rossterman 08-03-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAF93 (Post 16131665)
I can't get over the prices of Crutchfield. I know they have great customer service but if I bought something and then never used the customer service I'd feel ripped off. There is a Crutchfield store near my house so you would think they would have some clearance stuff a little closer to normal price. Nope. Neat store setup but that's about it.

I guess if you need lots of tech support,they may be OK. I found that sonixelectronics to be way cheaper and have bought a bunch of stuff from them with zero problems.

Rossterman 08-03-2018 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAF93 (Post 16132753)
I do like those! I'm also a big fan of the Chinese radios. I've had a couple and I think they are great. I love iGo8 nav. And these units generally run about $300 or less vice $1k.

Yeah, nice to have torquepro on the screen, gps, and SWCs all for under $300. Radio tuners arenkt very good though...

USAF93 08-03-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16133303)
Yeah, nice to have torquepro on the screen, gps, and SWCs all for under $300. Radio tuners arenkt very good though...

Which Joying is that?

Heavy_GD 08-06-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAF93 (Post 16132753)

For people that are "tech-able" these chinese units ROCK.... I have a fancy 8" alpine that I swapped out for one and I love it.

zsargent 08-06-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16133303)

Rossterman,

I LOVE that. Do tell about it and what it can do! Price? Where to buy please !

Thanks in Advance!

Rossterman 08-06-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsargent (Post 16134845)
Rossterman,

I LOVE that. Do tell about it and what it can do! Price? Where to buy please !

Thanks in Advance!

Joying and pumpkin are the two top chinese andriod radio suppliers out there. Many vendors sell similar models since they all,come from one mfg; but these two companies have a strong cust support team, work actively with the mfg to add new user requested features, and push routine firmware upgrades when new android OS upgrades come along. The others are essentially repackagers that just sell the radio and move on to the next customer.

I have the joying 128n2 version which is a quad core 2gb version on OS 6.0. Runs quick on boot up and handles any app with ease. It’s a few years old now and has worked flawlessly. The newest version are octacore 4gb units. Mine works fine but like computers, faster processors and more ram is never. Bad!

If buying again, I’d go with a pumpkin model simply because joying decided to lock down the connectivity for the OBD2 dongles (needed for torquepro) and dash cam to only work with units they supply. This was a cash grab pure and simple. Their cost on these parts was reasonable, but the quality of their OBD2 dongle lacks. Being locked down prevents you from spending more money to purchase a better OBD2 part.

Look for a version with OS 7 or higher as they added a host of auto related features to the OS in this release (remember the OS was originally made for phones but the OS developers are better recognizing that these phones (and in dash radios) are becoming popular for use in cars). Finally, as to cons, the internal amp and radio reception isn’t as good as pioneer or kenwood in my model. The newer models have better internal amps than mine and improved tuners. Not sure how much they improved as I haven’t had a chance to check one out. I have mine feeding a external 5 channel amp with sub so the internal amp wasn't a concern for me.

Pricewise, they run about the same as I paid; ~ $280- $320. I think pressure from pioneer’s appradio4 has caused them to hold the line on excalating prices as the pioneer unit is around $400. You can find similar units as low as $200 or older models for even less. I’d avoid buying any 1gb models as they had some difficulties loading and running some apps. 2gb seemed to have overcome these issues.

G8orFord 08-06-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16134879)
If buying again, I’d go with a pumpkin model simply because joying decided to lock down the connectivity for the OBD2 dongles (needed for torquepro) and dash cam to only work with units they supply. This was a cash grab pure and simple. Their cost on these parts was reasonable, but the quality of their OBD2 dongle lacks. Being locked down prevents you from spending more money to purchase a better OBD2 part.

I was thinking about getting the new Joying with Android 8.0 (oddly enough it doesn't support Android Auto on 8.0 phones) but it sounds like you're saying it wouldn't work with my PLX or my OBDLink MX dongle. How can that be? Does it not still connect via BT? The camera I can kinda see being proprietary, but I don;t see how they could stop a BT dongle from connecting.

Dreamdrummr 08-11-2018 05:54 PM

IPhone

Are these units compatible with IPhones? They really sound like a great product.

Rossterman 08-12-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8orFord (Post 16134937)
I was thinking about getting the new Joying with Android 8.0 (oddly enough it doesn't support Android Auto on 8.0 phones) but it sounds like you're saying it wouldn't work with my PLX or my OBDLink MX dongle. How can that be? Does it not still connect via BT? The camera I can kinda see being proprietary, but I don;t see how they could stop a BT dongle from connecting.

There is some code written in the unit that it won’t allow connection on Bluetooth OBD2 dongles unless they have a specific name- e.g. “joying obd2” so if yours has a different name, it won't connect. Several have modified the headunit’s code to delete (xda developers forum has lot’s mods and hacks for these) this limit and some have modified the dongle’s code to change the name match joying’s to work. I gave up on their crappy dongle and just went with a wifi one since I don’t run the radio connected to the internet most of the time.

Rossterman 08-12-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamdrummr (Post 16138231)
Are these units compatible with IPhones? They really sound like a great product.

I think some that are newer than mine might support apple car play. You’ll have to look specifically for that feature mentioned though. Some say they support apple air play but not the same thing as no control or screen mirroring.

Dreamdrummr 08-12-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16138661)

I think some that are newer than mine might support apple car play. You’ll have to look specifically for that feature mentioned though. Some say they support apple air play but not the same thing as no control or screen mirroring.

Thank you for the info. It all seems complicated to me, but Im here learning all I can. Lots of great info...

G8orFord 08-12-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16138645)
There is some code written in the unit that it won’t allow connection on Bluetooth OBD2 dongles unless they have a specific name- e.g. “joying obd2” so if yours has a different name, it won't connect. Several have modified the headunit’s code to delete (xda developers forum has lot’s mods and hacks for these) this limit and some have modified the dongle’s code to change the name match joying’s to work. I gave up on their crappy dongle and just went with a wifi one since I don’t run the radio connected to the internet most of the time.

So the units aren't locked down and are hackable then. At least that's a positive. I haven't messed rooting or any other android hacking in a few years, but used to do it as a hobby. Not a real hacker per se, but more of a "ok that guy opened the door, so I'm going to see what's in there." I think it's quite humorous that most of the best parts of both Android and iOS in their most recent versions have been available through hacks for years and that a lot of the security and dependability of both systems have ome from the same people.

Rossterman 08-12-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8orFord (Post 16138851)
So the units aren't locked down and are hackable then. At least that's a positive. I haven't messed rooting or any other android hacking in a few years, but used to do it as a hobby. Not a real hacker per se, but more of a "ok that guy opened the door, so I'm going to see what's in there." I think it's quite humorous that most of the best parts of both Android and iOS in their most recent versions have been available through hacks for years and that a lot of the security and dependability of both systems have ome from the same people.

Yeah, there’s lots of folks modding their units to overcome some poorly written code and allow better functionality. In some cases though, some have bricked the unit so not totally foolproof or for those not well versed in making these kind of mods.