Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/)
-   -   Stock stereo question (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/1346701-stock-stereo-question.html)

Rossterman 08-12-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamdrummr (Post 16138231)
Are these units compatible with IPhones? They really sound like a great product.

I think some that are newer than mine might support apple car play. You’ll have to look specifically for that feature mentioned though. Some say they support apple air play but not the same thing as no control or screen mirroring.

Dreamdrummr 08-12-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16138661)

I think some that are newer than mine might support apple car play. You’ll have to look specifically for that feature mentioned though. Some say they support apple air play but not the same thing as no control or screen mirroring.

Thank you for the info. It all seems complicated to me, but Im here learning all I can. Lots of great info...

G8orFord 08-12-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossterman (Post 16138645)
There is some code written in the unit that it won’t allow connection on Bluetooth OBD2 dongles unless they have a specific name- e.g. “joying obd2” so if yours has a different name, it won't connect. Several have modified the headunit’s code to delete (xda developers forum has lot’s mods and hacks for these) this limit and some have modified the dongle’s code to change the name match joying’s to work. I gave up on their crappy dongle and just went with a wifi one since I don’t run the radio connected to the internet most of the time.

So the units aren't locked down and are hackable then. At least that's a positive. I haven't messed rooting or any other android hacking in a few years, but used to do it as a hobby. Not a real hacker per se, but more of a "ok that guy opened the door, so I'm going to see what's in there." I think it's quite humorous that most of the best parts of both Android and iOS in their most recent versions have been available through hacks for years and that a lot of the security and dependability of both systems have ome from the same people.

Rossterman 08-12-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8orFord (Post 16138851)
So the units aren't locked down and are hackable then. At least that's a positive. I haven't messed rooting or any other android hacking in a few years, but used to do it as a hobby. Not a real hacker per se, but more of a "ok that guy opened the door, so I'm going to see what's in there." I think it's quite humorous that most of the best parts of both Android and iOS in their most recent versions have been available through hacks for years and that a lot of the security and dependability of both systems have ome from the same people.

Yeah, there’s lots of folks modding their units to overcome some poorly written code and allow better functionality. In some cases though, some have bricked the unit so not totally foolproof or for those not well versed in making these kind of mods.