Diesel DB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
thats what Craigslist and Marketplace are for
I do like those! I'm also a big fan of the Chinese radios. I've had a couple and I think they are great. I love iGo8 nav. And these units generally run about $300 or less vice $1k.

2005 F350 Lariat
Torqshift Tranny
Bulletproof EGR
OEM Oil Cooler
Sinister Coolant filter
Rotella T6
Archoil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 08-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF93 View Post
I can't get over the prices of Crutchfield. I know they have great customer service but if I bought something and then never used the customer service I'd feel ripped off. There is a Crutchfield store near my house so you would think they would have some clearance stuff a little closer to normal price. Nope. Neat store setup but that's about it.
I guess if you need lots of tech support,they may be OK. I found that sonixelectronics to be way cheaper and have bought a bunch of stuff from them with zero problems.

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and coolant filter.
post #23 of 34 Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I do like those! I'm also a big fan of the Chinese radios. I've had a couple and I think they are great. I love iGo8 nav. And these units generally run about $300 or less vice $1k.
Yeah, nice to have torquepro on the screen, gps, and SWCs all for under $300. Radio tuners arenkt very good though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D415EEA8-6588-43D4-A9EA-186864D17D4D.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	705775  

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and coolant filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Diesel DB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Yeah, nice to have torquepro on the screen, gps, and SWCs all for under $300. Radio tuners arenkt very good though...
Which Joying is that?

2005 F350 Lariat
Torqshift Tranny
Bulletproof EGR
OEM Oil Cooler
Sinister Coolant filter
Rotella T6
Archoil
post #25 of 34 Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,118 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
For people that are "tech-able" these chinese units ROCK.... I have a fancy 8" alpine that I swapped out for one and I love it.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #26 of 34 Old 08-06-2018, 09:14 AM
It is What IT is

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Quote:
Rossterman,

I LOVE that. Do tell about it and what it can do! Price? Where to buy please !

Thanks in Advance!

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #27 of 34 Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsargent View Post
Rossterman,

I LOVE that. Do tell about it and what it can do! Price? Where to buy please !

Thanks in Advance!
Joying and pumpkin are the two top chinese andriod radio suppliers out there. Many vendors sell similar models since they all,come from one mfg; but these two companies have a strong cust support team, work actively with the mfg to add new user requested features, and push routine firmware upgrades when new android OS upgrades come along. The others are essentially repackagers that just sell the radio and move on to the next customer.

I have the joying 128n2 version which is a quad core 2gb version on OS 6.0. Runs quick on boot up and handles any app with ease. It’s a few years old now and has worked flawlessly. The newest version are octacore 4gb units. Mine works fine but like computers, faster processors and more ram is never. Bad!

If buying again, I’d go with a pumpkin model simply because joying decided to lock down the connectivity for the OBD2 dongles (needed for torquepro) and dash cam to only work with units they supply. This was a cash grab pure and simple. Their cost on these parts was reasonable, but the quality of their OBD2 dongle lacks. Being locked down prevents you from spending more money to purchase a better OBD2 part.

Look for a version with OS 7 or higher as they added a host of auto related features to the OS in this release (remember the OS was originally made for phones but the OS developers are better recognizing that these phones (and in dash radios) are becoming popular for use in cars). Finally, as to cons, the internal amp and radio reception isn’t as good as pioneer or kenwood in my model. The newer models have better internal amps than mine and improved tuners. Not sure how much they improved as I haven’t had a chance to check one out. I have mine feeding a external 5 channel amp with sub so the internal amp wasn't a concern for me.

Pricewise, they run about the same as I paid; ~ $280- $320. I think pressure from pioneer’s appradio4 has caused them to hold the line on excalating prices as the pioneer unit is around $400. You can find similar units as low as $200 or older models for even less. I’d avoid buying any 1gb models as they had some difficulties loading and running some apps. 2gb seemed to have overcome these issues.
USAF93 likes this.

Ross

Last edited by Rossterman; 08-06-2018 at 10:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossterman For This Useful Post:
USAF93 (08-06-2018), zsargent (08-06-2018)
post #28 of 34 Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
If buying again, I’d go with a pumpkin model simply because joying decided to lock down the connectivity for the OBD2 dongles (needed for torquepro) and dash cam to only work with units they supply. This was a cash grab pure and simple. Their cost on these parts was reasonable, but the quality of their OBD2 dongle lacks. Being locked down prevents you from spending more money to purchase a better OBD2 part.

I was thinking about getting the new Joying with Android 8.0 (oddly enough it doesn't support Android Auto on 8.0 phones) but it sounds like you're saying it wouldn't work with my PLX or my OBDLink MX dongle. How can that be? Does it not still connect via BT? The camera I can kinda see being proprietary, but I don;t see how they could stop a BT dongle from connecting.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #29 of 34 Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
IPhone

Are these units compatible with IPhones? They really sound like a great product.
post #30 of 34 Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
I was thinking about getting the new Joying with Android 8.0 (oddly enough it doesn't support Android Auto on 8.0 phones) but it sounds like you're saying it wouldn't work with my PLX or my OBDLink MX dongle. How can that be? Does it not still connect via BT? The camera I can kinda see being proprietary, but I don;t see how they could stop a BT dongle from connecting.
There is some code written in the unit that it won’t allow connection on Bluetooth OBD2 dongles unless they have a specific name- e.g. “joying obd2” so if yours has a different name, it won't connect. Several have modified the headunit’s code to delete (xda developers forum has lot’s mods and hacks for these) this limit and some have modified the dongle’s code to change the name match joying’s to work. I gave up on their crappy dongle and just went with a wifi one since I don’t run the radio connected to the internet most of the time.

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode