Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 2547 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sunroof slide replacement

Let's try this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
This was supposed to be a quick and dirty how-to for replacing the slides on a CC sunroof. Unfortunately, for me, it wasn't so quick and dirty. I had the headliner and the sunroof frame down in about hour. Had the slides replaced and was ready to reinstall in another 30 minutes. Hung the frame back up and started putting everything back only to realize I had messed up reinstalling the cable tubes. Had it on top of the frame instead of under it, but had already riveted it back on.

Now is a good time to stress that you should not get in a hurry with this project and you should definitely not take ANY shortcuts.

Guess what! I got in a hurry and I took a shortcut. I didn't have any more of the right size rivets, so rather than drill the rivets back out and do it right, I bent the tubes out to get them below the frame. I AM STUPID! NEVER DO THAT!

Now would be a good time to tell you that the instructions specifically tell you to be careful with the end caps and cable tubes because the break easily.

See, it's right here

Guess what! I broke both sides. Guess what else! You can't buy those from Ford without buying the whole frame. Guess what else! Retail is $1020. (ANWBL has it for $672). One more little tidbit is that salvage yards don't generally save the frames and cable tubes, just the glass.

Anyway, some actual usable information is that the slide kit found here>>
Expedition / Navigator / SuperCrew Sunroof Information works perfectly. Just be more careful than I was. To replace the slides you have to drop the headliner and the frame. The headliner is pretty straightforward, everything that looks like it has to come off, does. Visors, center overhead console, grab handles, coat hooks, interior trim at sunroof, A, B and C pillar trim. B and C trim can just be pulled loose and worked around, but seat belt connections have to be removed. The headliner will not come out without removing seats or rear window. I chose to work around it and just drop it down. Strategic use of the seat reclining is helpful. Once the headliner is down you can get to the motor and frame bolts pretty easily. Remove the glass first though. There are 4 torx bolts to remove and then it will lift out the top. There are 11 frame bolts and 3 motor bolts (remove the motor first). I did all of this by myself, but I'd recommend an extra pair of hands if you can get some. You will need to drill out the 6 rivets (3 each side) holding the end caps and cable tubes to the frame. This can be done prior to dropping the frame, but I don't know that it really makes that much difference. Then remove the rear drain trough, 2 small screws, one on each side. Then carefully pull the end caps away from the frame. They are stuck on with a rubbery adhesive so it's a little scary at first, but they'll come off. Remove the old slide pieces and replace with the new stuff and reverse the process to put it back together. If you're careful, not in a hurry and don't take shortcuts, you should have a functional sunroof again. The kit comes with instructions, but I thought I'd give a little insight on what NOT to do.

Here are some more pics I took off the process.

Broken parts and new parts.

Patch job on drivers side end cap with epoxy.

Patch job on passengers side.

As shown, I was able to epoxy mine back together, but I don't trust it to last. I'll be trying to find a replacement cable tube/end cap assembly and go back in at some point.
john galt and waggonerj like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure

Last edited by ZMANN; 12-25-2017 at 12:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (01-13-2016), Jakejc (12-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
following, going to hopefully do mine in the next two weeks
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 700 Post(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)
thanks for the photos I always wondered how they were put in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 996 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakejc View Post
following, going to hopefully do mine in the next two weeks
It's really not that bad of a job. A second pair of hands would be helpful, but it's not impossible to do alone. Just be very careful with the endcaps and rear mechanism. Those tubes are factory bent and if you bend them like I did, not only are you going to break the connection at the endcap, but you're going to have issue getting the motor bolts lined back up.

Done properly and carefully, I'd say it's a 2-4 hour job for someone who's done it before. Plan a day to be on the safe side.
john galt likes this.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;

Last edited by G8orFord; 02-17-2016 at 09:56 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2016, 09:33 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
great write up
I had forgotten how involved this was.
did mine same day i took the seats out and covered them and replaced the carpet
had parts and tools all over the driveway and in my sons garage but with his help we had it all together again at the end of the day

and I had the only 04 out there with that "new truck smell"

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #6 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the interior colored sliding cover built into the system or can it be replaced separately?

Take care
............Greg

--------------------------------------------
2006 F250 CC FX4/Lariat * Chrome PKG * 2011 F250 8-spoke wheels and mirrors * Toyo ATII 35x12.5x20 * MOD's (Zoo-dad, Fog light, Homelink, High Idle, THRC) * ARP Studded * PHP FICM Tuned * Blue Spring + 6.4 Banjo's * 4" TB MBRP * SCT w/TSD SPD and SPD1.6 Tow tunes * EGR Deleted * Isspro gauges * Dieselsite's Coolant Filtration System * RCX 3" Lift w/2.2 Shocks * RCX dual 2.2 steering stabilizer * * lots more coming ...

post #7 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It looks like it could be popped out if wanted to be replaced. I just kept sliding it back and forth when I fixed my sunroof and didn't really take much notice too it
post #8 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks. Mines starting to show a little separation being 10 years old. Sucks as the headliner is in mint condition considering...

Take care
............Greg

--------------------------------------------
2006 F250 CC FX4/Lariat * Chrome PKG * 2011 F250 8-spoke wheels and mirrors * Toyo ATII 35x12.5x20 * MOD's (Zoo-dad, Fog light, Homelink, High Idle, THRC) * ARP Studded * PHP FICM Tuned * Blue Spring + 6.4 Banjo's * 4" TB MBRP * SCT w/TSD SPD and SPD1.6 Tow tunes * EGR Deleted * Isspro gauges * Dieselsite's Coolant Filtration System * RCX 3" Lift w/2.2 Shocks * RCX dual 2.2 steering stabilizer * * lots more coming ...

post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
I got a grey headliner cover fro ebay and recovered mine with that.
its not a perfect match but so close no one notices...
except me

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #10 of 12 Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 996 Posts
Garage
Just checked ANWBL's website and you can get the sunshade but only in ebony. It's $220. Kinda like Henry Ford said about the Model T, "it comes in any color you want, as long as it's black.
The sunshade is separate from the rest of the assembly, but you have to remove quite a bit of stuff to get to it. Pretty sure the assembly has to be lowered to get the shade out.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode