Peixinho's 700hp streetable, towable, DD build thread - Page 64 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

247Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #631 of 725 Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow!!! What a long weekend/past couple of months.

I got my exhaust leaks taken care of. There were some issues with my y-pipes so Kevin sent me out a new set. I got it all back together only to find out I had a huge high pressure oil leak.

Well then I got my high pressure oil leak figured out. My hard line for my twin pump was leaking where it hooks into the back of the hpop test port. That is probably caused by me taking it on and off so many times over the last few months when pulling the motor to do head gaskets. I asked Jess Warren for a new one and he stepped up and overnighted me a new one and paid extra for it to be delivered Saturday morning. I got that all hooked up and taken care of... only to find out my reg return line was leaking.

I dove back in and figured it was a fitting... NOPE... the passenger side line itself was leaking near the y-pipe bellows where it crosses over the top of the motor. I am not sure if it melted/failed/burst... but the metal braid is fine but it leaks really bad and comes out in about a 3 inch section whenever the pressure was on. I wonder if this was what caused my fire last month and the leak finally got big enough for me to notice... or... maybe the fire melted the line??? The world may never know... LOL...

I finally got it all put back together and everything tightened up last night and the truck drives awesome. That y-pipe leak was robbing a ton of power. It is hard for me to test the truck on the street because I have major traction issues. Anytime I try to lay into it I just spin the tires and get major wheel hop. Time to start looking into traction bars and a good LSD in the back. The stock LSD is just not cutting it.

Next track night is Fri 7/11. I am going to drive the heck out of the truck till then and plan on going to the event. Also I am going to try to set up some dyno time over the next week to get a baseline for the new Stage X turbo testing. Wish me luck!
ODAWG714 likes this.

KC Turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Setup 190/30 and KC 64mm Stage 2 turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 725 Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 565 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can re-build the stock LS to hold better Charlie. It wont be as good as say a true-trac or full locker but definitely better then the factory build. I need to service the rear diff in mine and think I am just going to pull it and re-build it then. I am also debating on just getting a true-trac at this point. Ran one if my f150 on 38's and it was awesome. Plus in the true-trac there are no clutches to wear out.
peixinho likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to toren302 For This Useful Post:
peixinho (07-01-2014)
post #633 of 725 Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
You can re-build the stock LS to hold better Charlie. It wont be as good as say a true-trac or full locker but definitely better then the factory build. I need to service the rear diff in mine and think I am just going to pull it and re-build it then. I am also debating on just getting a true-trac at this point. Ran one if my f150 on 38's and it was awesome. Plus in the true-trac there are no clutches to wear out.
Thanks... I have thought about that. I know a ford tech that was telling me something about sticking extra clutches in there. He said it will really help out the clutches to stick harder... he said it might act like a locker for the first 25 miles or so but then it will be perfect. I was thinking about trying that.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 725 Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 565 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
Thanks... I have thought about that. I know a ford tech that was telling me something about sticking extra clutches in there. He said it will really help out the clutches to stick harder... he said it might act like a locker for the first 25 miles or so but then it will be perfect. I was thinking about trying that.
Yep that's the trick I learned from the guy I bought this shop from. He was a ford Senior Master Diesel Tech for as long as they had the program until he quit. You can also not put in the full 8oz amount of friction modifier. Start with like 2oz and see how you like it. Remember that the less you use the harder the clutches will bite. It will act like a locker and may even chatter on slow turns. If too much chatter or you don't like the feel add a little more modifier. If you use the Ford stuff try not to spill it. It STINKS to high heaven and will stain anything it touches. Also the smell doesn't come out easy. Don't step in some that was spilled and then get into the vehicle. We had a kid that did that to a customer car. 3X it went to a detail shop for the carpets to be cleaned and the smell was still slightly there.

Last edited by toren302; 07-01-2014 at 08:18 AM.
post #635 of 725 Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[QUOTE=peixinho;
Next track night is Fri 7/11. I am going to drive the heck out of the truck till then and plan on going to the event. Also I am going to try to set up some dyno time over the next week to get a baseline for the new Stage X turbo testing. Wish me luck![/QUOTE]

I'll be waiting.....
Chatham036 likes this.

2004 F250 ccsb

Skint Back Motorsports
Warren-HYBRIDS-- S400
FULL Billet Twisted Diesel Built Tranny
[email protected] on fuel dammit
post #636 of 725 Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I took the truck on a 400 mile road trip yesterday and it did AWESOME!!! I love finally having my truck back... that 7.3 dog that I was driving was just not cutting it.

I still have one small boost leak but I am trying to fix that... but everything else seems to be doing awesome.

I was talking with Charlie 6 L Chevy eater... and the truck might be seeing some nitrous in the next few weeks. We are working out the details.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

post #637 of 725 Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, where were all your boost leaks?

Gonna put the stock bottom end to the test with NOS, excited to see the results.

Cameron
2006 F250 Lariat CCSB
Comp Turbo 64/88 compounds
Warren 285/100
ODAWG ported intake
R&R rods, mahle pistons, stage 2 colt cam
Built Trans
Water/Meth
post #638 of 725 Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu! View Post

I had a bunch of little leaks... but they all added up. My diesel site pressure tester would drop for 20psi to 0 psi in less than 10 seconds... now it will hold for about 45 seconds.

What is also weird is some of the leaks did not even show up until I pressurized the system above 15-20 psi.

Tiny crack in MAP sensor hose
A couple of my boots not clamped tight enough
boost gauge hose leaking at t-connection
Pin hole in my hot side cac pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu! View Post

Gonna put the stock bottom end to the test with NOS, excited to see the results.
That scares the heck out of me... I really don't wanna tear out the motor again. I just want to enjoy driving it for a little while.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

post #639 of 725 Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Well I have been messing around with tunes all week and learning a lot about tuning. I even got the SCT software and tried to write my own tunes, which is WAY HARDER than I had imagined. It is very interesting to see how ebp, boost, icp, and pw all correlate together.

My setup is a little unique and is just not running the way it should. I believe a lot of it has to do with tuning. So... I am working with a couple of different tuners to try and get it figured out. I met Drew from Back Road Performance and he seemed very willing to go through the effort to try and tweak my tune to the way I like it. I am excited to try some of his tunes.

I also finally got around to installing my PHP FICM tuner. I am going to be messing around with the different levels and getting more data. So far I am VERY impressed. Super easy to install new FICM tunes and only takes about 3 minutes from start to finish (much quicker than SCT tuning)

Another issue is that I was dropping too much fuel pressure. On my low level street tune (about 1.7ms which should be around 175 - 190cc) it ran very clean and fuel pressure was in the 50s. On my race tune it runs super smokey and the power seems to die out. It would dip into the 20s... SO... Thanks to Charlie Keeter... I ordered up an a1000 with a dual filter/water seperator setup. It should be here today. I am just going to tie it into the stock 6.0 HFCM for right now and maybe delete the rest of the stock system/HFCM later.

If all goes well I will be hitting up the track this Friday Night
Chatham036 likes this.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

post #640 of 725 Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
That scares the heck out of me... I really don't wanna tear out the motor again. I just want to enjoy driving it for a little while.
I know the feeling... It still makes my stomach turn thinking about the sound of a busted bottom end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kaboom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode