AirDog II failures - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No I haven't upgraded wires yet. I drove 700km yesterday, just as I pulled into my driveway psi dropped to zero. Pump ran fine since install just a little loud. Everytime I replace fuse it blows. Checked every wire for a nick or anything to cause a ground issue and they are all fine. Popped the face off the pump to pull the gears out but they are in there really tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F350 6.0 King Ranch
SCT SF3 w/ Looney Wild Tune
Air Dog 2
XDP Fuel Sump
EGR Delete
Head Studs
4" Turbo Back
Edge Insight
Cat ELC coolant
Garret Powermax GT3788va
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 AM

check for fuel in electric motor
post #43 of 49 Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbusa68 View Post
check for fuel in electric motor
Yep that is a must! Also I do recommend like others have noted.... Is to upgrade the wire harness. Add in your own rely to trigger the rely provided by Airdog. By upgrading the wire you should drop temps on the motor and wire. Blowing fuses shouldn't occur anymore. When I upgraded my wiring I picked up psi and lost motor noise. Didn't expect that at all. Airdog sends the wiring harness to work and not WORK RIGHT.

03 6.0 f250 180k, 20" XD Hoss rims, 33" tires, boost, pyro, tranny temp, fuel psi, AirdogII 165, FASS sump, Edge CTS monitor, MBRP straight piped 6" miter cut blk stacks, k&n air intake, SCT w/ Eric's extreme street/extreme x, RECON smoked side mirror turn signals, 05-07 Banks Techni-Cooler Intercooler, Pmax turbo, ARP head studs/FCDP full EGR delete/modified intake manifold, Sinister Coolant Filtration, 12k 55w HID heads/12k 35w HID fogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbutcher View Post
No I haven't upgraded wires yet. I drove 700km yesterday, just as I pulled into my driveway psi dropped to zero. Pump ran fine since install just a little loud. Everytime I replace fuse it blows. Checked every wire for a nick or anything to cause a ground issue and they are all fine. Popped the face off the pump to pull the gears out but they are in there really tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Did you ever get you pump running correctly?
post #45 of 49 Old 12-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
I figured I’d bump this to see what happens. Great topic that could use an update.

1970 351 Cleveland, 2007 F150 V6, 2007 F350 6.0
Aaron

post #46 of 49 Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1229 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Definitely an older thread.

Back then they had quite a few issues. I was skeptical on AD or FASS for a long time on a 7.3 or 6.0, but they have come a long ways on quality. The newest version of the AirDog is the AD II 4G, and I have had one on my 7.3L for over 2yrs and 40k miles. It holds pressure just fine while at 560rwhp. We have sold about 50 or so of them and so far not a single warranty claim. They do have a lifetime warranty too as long as you send in the card within 30 days. A sump is definitely best for the least amount of strain on the pump, or they have oversized draw straws.

So far I'm honestly rather impressed as I used to push people to either stay stock, or go with a Fuelab or Aeromotive pump, but Aeromotive will no longer warranty for diesels. For those interested, here's a link, and hope my feedback helps someone looking.

https://cncfab.us/c-1390152-shop-by-brand-airdog.html
HeavyAssault likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
breathingfiredragon (12-05-2019)
post #47 of 49 Old 12-08-2019, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I had an airdog 2 165 gph go bad on me. I was so pissed. 700$ for the kit and it died in 4 months. When I finally figured out it was my pump which I discarded the theory because it’s a brand new pump..... I informed airdog and the solution was for ME to rebuild my pump which wasn’t hard but still. I spent a lot of money for a supposed problem solver which ends up being the problem, you shouldn’t make customers do more work after they spend that kind of money and time to install the stuff. My truck was down for something like 3 weeks because of this going back and forth with emails and phone calls.

The “quick disconnect” fitting that Connects the pump to the engine had a collar that needed to be cut with a cutoff wheel to get a fuel disconnect tool in there made extra work for me and the guy I was talking to insisted that any disconnect tool would work..... not the case.

I had to put a new geroter on top of the filters. Easy job but this is where I don’t think extra work with a headache like this is necessary. If my pump doesn’t even have 5000 miles on it send me a new one cause I don’t like asking guys for rides to work.

I ended up switching back to stock and the 700 dollar airdog is sitting in a box on the shelf collecting dust. It did prime it so I know it works but then again the stock one has a better track record.

I know there’s a lot of trucks that have a lot of miles on airdogs but I will be buying a fass if I ever spend money on one of these kits again
post #48 of 49 Old 12-25-2019, 09:56 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage
So I’ve been running my AD 2 165 for 8 months and put probably 17k miles on it trouble free. I swapped the filters out two days ago, went to prime it and it won’t pull fuel anymore. Pump was running but wasn’t able to pull fuel. If I jiggled the wiring connection at the pump it would get louder or turn off completely. Turns out the electrical ground connection is completely burned up at the connector. They are sending me a replacement at no cost but the truck is down. Going to rewire it now and see if I can get it back in the meantime since I have nothing to lose.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #49 of 49 Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had my wires get hot and melt, destroying the AD2 pump. They dramatically undersized the wires. I have a 60 gallon tank, with a sump drilled and installed on the bottom of the tank. It was pulling 20A+ amps with their crap wires. They replaced the pump, and I bought another, just in case, and kept it in the covered bed. Well, I upgraded the wires with 10 gauge teflon/aircraft wires, and the current on the new motor dropped to about 10 amps or so, if I remember correctly. That setup lasted a few years, then my fuel tank sending unit died, and I ran out of fuel, burning up the AD2 again. Luckily I had another spare in the bed, and was able to replace it within a few days. The additional problem was, that burning up the AD2 motor for the second time, melted the 20A relay connector setup I installed on the firewall on first install. I replaced it (the 20A "little" relay) with a 30A relay, with 10 gauge teflon wires. I called AD, and they replaced the burned AD2 with the "new and upgraded" AirDog II-4G. I have my original AD2 (spare) running, and am yet to replace it with the upgraded AD2-4G, which supposedly fixes the issues with the original AD2. It's caused some issues, but it keeps fuel pressure at 50-60 psi regardless of driving habits, and my setup can drain fuel pretty good. I would go with the new AD2-4G.

2003 F350 LB 6.0L 4.88 10.5" ICON lift,SWAMPS Custom Engine-ported intake-58V FICM,Stage1Cam,CeramicCoatedCutPistons,PowerMax w/Batmowheel,ARPs,195cc/75%,EGR Delete,BulletProof OilCooler&H2OPump,aFeStageIIfilter, BanksIintake/intercooler, 270A Alt,PHP 40hp FICM tune, ViviansLooneyWild,Dieselsite Coolant&Magnefine PS&AmsoilOilFilters,Blue 60psi Spring, [email protected],Banjo Bolts,MishimotoRadiator,4" exhaust,40" Nitto Muds on 22x14's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode