Retrofit tap shift - Page 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 Old 02-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is basically my set up:

2006 F450 - Regularly 25 to 35,000 total weight - Tow in the Colorado Rockies - SCT Tunes - Gear Vendor OD/UD - BPD oil cooler - Studded - BPD EGR, etc...

I installed the BD-Performance Tap Shifter and have the bugs worked out. I do not have very many miles of testing / driving due to the season, but I am impressed thus far.

One of the things that frustrated me about driving the truck before the Tap Shifter was the truck "knew better" than I did, what gear it should be pulling in, and whether the converter should be locked or not. It was like driving something the government set up!

Before the Tap Shifter, on a steep pull, the truck would lose the TC lock and start building heat. It also would not stay in 4th gear. I now have control over those events. MATT helped with the SCT tuning with these problems, but it still did not afford me the control.

I need more miles and travel conditions to be able to make a complete evaluation of the Tap Shifter. So far I am impressed with the control, and the engine brake feature is a definite improvement over stock tow haul.

The customer service and support I received from BD-Performance was also worthy of compliment.

The install was relatively simple as the instructions were well written and thorough. It is NOT plug and play, but relatively simple if you follow the directions step by step.

My only criticism about the product involves the install. I was not keen on cutting the factory Ford transmission wiring harness. Not the end of the world, but I really didn't like doing that. It would probably put the product at a much higher price point, but a connector set up like Edge products uses to connect to the computers would eliminate the wire cutting, and shorten install time.

More to come this summer, but in summary, if you want/need control of that stupid D321 transmission design buy this Tap Shifter.
Canadian Mind and Osider6.0 like this.

Last edited by 2006F450; 02-16-2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2006F450 For This Useful Post:
FordDieselDude (02-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Bd diesel has a kit? Would love to get one!!!

Last edited by smokersteve; 02-16-2016 at 07:40 PM.
post #33 of 53 Old 02-16-2016, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thumbs up

Thanks thats just what I was looking for! except for the fact i got ANOTHER $600 part on the wish list for the truck. When does it ever end???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F-350 King Ranch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Arp studs
Coolant Filter
Air Dog 150
XDP Sump
Viair On-Board Air
AFE Stage II Cold Air
Windrunner Ported Intake
Banks Techni-Cooler
5" Sraight Pipe

Pillar Gauges

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish but have everlasting life."-John 3:16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Bd diesel has a kit? Would love to get one!!!
Yea see post 20 from December 16, 2015...
post #35 of 53 Old 02-17-2016, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006F450 View Post
Here is basically my set up:

2006 F450 - Regularly 25 to 35,000 total weight - Tow in the Colorado Rockies - SCT Tunes - Gear Vendor OD/UD - BPD oil cooler - Studded - BPD EGR, etc...

I installed the BD-Performance Tap Shifter and have the bugs worked out. I do not have very many miles of testing / driving due to the season, but I am impressed thus far.

One of the things that frustrated me about driving the truck before the Tap Shifter was the truck "knew better" than I did, what gear it should be pulling in, and whether the converter should be locked or not. It was like driving something the government set up!

Before the Tap Shifter, on a steep pull, the truck would lose the TC lock and start building heat. It also would not stay in 4th gear. I now have control over those events. MATT helped with the SCT tuning with these problems, but it still did not afford me the control.

I need more miles and travel conditions to be able to make a complete evaluation of the Tap Shifter. So far I am impressed with the control, and the engine brake feature is a definite improvement over stock tow haul.

The customer service and support I received from BD-Performance was also worthy of compliment.

The install was relatively simple as the instructions were well written and thorough. It is NOT plug and play, but relatively simple if you follow the directions step by step.

My only criticism about the product involves the install. I was not keen on cutting the factory Ford transmission wiring harness. Not the end of the world, but I really didn't like doing that. It would probably put the product at a much higher price point, but a connector set up like Edge products uses to connect to the computers would eliminate the wire cutting, and shorten install time.

More to come this summer, but in summary, if you want/need control of that stupid D321 transmission design buy this Tap Shifter.
How does that gear vendor work with the tap shift? Does it shift the gear vendor then the transmission or just the transmission?

E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶ ̶E̶x̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶1̶5̶5̶/̶3̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶K̶C̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ Cummins swap in progress. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

post #36 of 53 Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

The Tap Shifter doesn't know the Gear Vendor exists. Think of the Gear Vendor as a high/low rear diff. It's not really, but it effects the final drive ratio in the same way. Rough numbers, the 4.30 rear end in 5th gear has a final drive ratio of 3.05 with the Gear Vendors engaged it becomes 2.38. The cool thing with the GV is this spit can happen in any of the 5 gears and at any throttle position...and up to 2000 hp (not a typo).

This equates to getting that ford back down near the 2000 rpm mark at highway speeds. Better on fuel economy and rotating wear, but at those speeds above 60 mph pulling a 13 ft tall 5er wind / friction tosses economy out the window.
post #37 of 53 Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Quote:
The Tap Shifter doesn't know the Gear Vendor exists. Think of the Gear Vendor as a high/low rear diff. It's not really, but it effects the final drive ratio in the same way. Rough numbers, the 4.30 rear end in 5th gear has a final drive ratio of 3.05 with the Gear Vendors engaged it becomes 2.38. The cool thing with the GV is this spit can happen in any of the 5 gears and at any throttle position...and up to 2000 hp (not a typo).

This equates to getting that ford back down near the 2000 rpm mark at highway speeds. Better on fuel economy and rotating wear, but at those speeds above 60 mph pulling a 13 ft tall 5er wind / friction tosses economy out the window.
I want one now even though I have 3.73 it would drop 90 to 2k rpms.

E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶ ̶E̶x̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶1̶5̶5̶/̶3̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶K̶C̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ Cummins swap in progress. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

post #38 of 53 Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Falling off track on this thread... but ... I have a GV in a 1972 Crew Cab 1ton with a 514 cid and a C6. Awesome combination. The GV behind the 6.0 with the 5 speed auto is nice for 4th and 5th gears. Really no need to split the others.
post #39 of 53 Old 02-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can someone explain a bit better how the 'exhaust brake' feature works for the 6.0 application? This seems like a really good mod for those of us that tow a lot, I was always just under the impression that exhaust breaks could/would be bad for your truck in the long run.

Thanks!

2007 F-350 XLT FX4 - 6.0 CCSB
Studded, EGR delete, aFe 4" turbo-back exhaust, Firestone bags w/ onboard compressor, 2012 Lariat interior (seats, flowthru console, door panels, dash, & ALL trim) 2012 step tailgate, 2012 front & rear bumper, 2012 full-load tow mirrors
Tow machine for 32' Puma TT
post #40 of 53 Old 02-20-2016, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:

I've been told that the gear vendors unit, the transmission wont stay in 4th when the GV unit engages the OD. it'll switch to 5th as soon as the GV unit engages.

When you use the tap shifter to maintain 4th, does the GV function with normal/overdrive as it would with any other gear?

Personally I wouldn't want to have to go through 10 gears manually anyway. I imagine the GV unit would be advantageous as you can still hold a gear, but split up or down within that gear as necessary for slight hills, wind changes, etc. and maintain the same overall speed.

Completely unrelated to the tapshifter - does the GV unit allow for more getup and go?

2005 F-350 ext. cab long box, FX4
EDGE Insite CTS w/ fuel pres, EGT, and rear diff temp
Blue Spring
BCP High Idle Mod
DS Bypass Coolant Filter
Rotella ELC
Rotella T6 5w-40 Synthetic
EGR Cooler Delete
Bulletproof Oil Cooler, Oil Filter, & Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
268 000km/167 500 miles as of Jan. 1 2015.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode