What all to do?! - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Another CHEAP option for EGR delete is 35mm freeze plugs, remove cooler, pound them into both sides, throw on a weld for extra security if desired, re-install cooler. Just make sure you get a new lenght of heater hose and clamps, that OEM stub piece and clamps are a joke. I bought my delete on Ebay for $125 and made sure the coolant re-route tube and EGR cap were welded together. Oh yeah, expect 12~16 hrs to delete EGR cooler. Oh yeah, don't sweat the EGR valve, the EGR cooler is the problem, I left mine in and hooked up, no issues.

What Edge, Scan Guage and Bully Dog Watch Dog don't tell you up front is that they DO NOT include an EGT probe. Cha-ching! I just bought a 2 5/8" Auto Meter EGT for $145 from Summit Racing, WITH a probe. The 2 1/16" will fit in pillar pod. Anyway, Edge wants $100 for non expandable EGT probe, $130 for expandable (if you want a back up camera or the other things a CTS can do. Bully Dog wants $150 for an EGT probe that can monitor 2 EGT sources (but they only give you supplies for one). I figure with the EGT gauge on the dash, it will free up a spot on whatever OBD II monitor I choose.

I don't need all of the 1/4 mile timers, mileage coaches (I'm on 35s what mileage!?!), etc these things offer, therefore, I'm thinking at a buck fifty, a Scan Gauge II is going into my truck.
Yeah, I've looked at all that this morning. I like what all it monitors out of the box, but it does get very pricey to start monitoring the other stuff. I'm not overly concerned with the mileage either, I figure that by hand when I fill up. Still not sold one way or the other..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh yeah, l wasn't impressed with leveling kits, especially the add-a-leaf from Rough Country that I had, it wore against the main leafs in a bad way. Point is, 285s on an 8 (or 10 like I did) fit nice without lifting. 35s, just get a 4~6 inch lift and some 10" wheels. It's easier. Resist the Dark Side, don't stack blocks. I don't like blocks, but if you're going to use them be smart and use a solid ONE PIECE block for your lift. I've seen stacked blocks spit out, it does all kinds of cool stuff to fix later.

Karl and his 2003 6.0

Barefoot Accelerator Pedal
TRICO Force wiper blades
Yellow Military Aircraft Valve Stem Caps
Offensive "Stick Family" Decal
Big Ol'Honkin 1 1/4" Shank Receiver Hitch

WHAT!?! I was trying to list stuff that everyone else
hasn't already listed for their truck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Oh yeah, l wasn't impressed with leveling kits, especially the add-a-leaf from Rough Country that I had, it wore against the main leafs in a bad way. Point is, 285s on an 8 (or 10 like I did) fit nice without lifting. 35s, just get a 4~6 inch lift and some 10" wheels. It's easier. Resist the Dark Side, don't stack blocks. I don't like blocks, but if you're going to use them be smart and use a solid ONE PIECE block for your lift. I've seen stacked blocks spit out, it does all kinds of cool stuff to fix later.
I planned on getting the complete spring pack with shocks from rough country vs. the add a leaf. I think my suspension is starting to go in the front anyways so I was going to replace it all and through an adjustable track bar and steering stabalizer while I'm at it. It was all in all like 5-600.. Pricey, but would feel safer with that vs an add a leaf...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
The advantage to the scangauge2 is the vast amount of information it can get from the truck. It can monitor alot of the existing sensors.
You would need those pillar gauges and some scanning software to get what that little thing can do. Scangauge costs about $165, that is only the cost of just one gauge.
You should have a fuel pressure gauge (need to add since there is no fuel pressure sensor on the truck), and if you want to fill out your pillar set, a pyrometer and a boost gauge.
NYC ... do you have the scangauge setup in your truck? I'm looking at maybe even running this with some pillar or column gauges, but not sure where I would mount it. I've seen the blendmount that goes above the rearview mirror, but can you see that during the day? Does anyone have input on a good place to mount it and still be able to put analog gauges later?
post #15 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Found this deal... EDGE 2011 HOLIDAY PROMOTION ... free dash pod for the insight or other edge products purchased Dec 1, 2011 - Jan 5, 2012. I might be very tempted to buy an insight CTS from one of the dealers of they will back date the reciept?
post #16 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow89 View Post
I planned on getting the complete spring pack with shocks from rough country vs. the add a leaf. I think my suspension is starting to go in the front anyways so I was going to replace it all and through an adjustable track bar and steering stabalizer while I'm at it. It was all in all like 5-600.. Pricey, but would feel safer with that vs an add a leaf...
I've run 14.5X34.5 Toyos and 315/75-16 BFGs on mine WITHOUT a stabilizer and it tracks fine. If you're wandering, it could be ball joints and/or tie rod ends. Unless you're going over 6" of lift, an adjustable track bar isn't necessary. Besides, those things have a MONSTER torque on the axle end. Any decent 4" or taller lift will have a track bar relocation.

I would advise against upgrading to nitrogen shocks, I did and mine rides STIFF. Add a leaf/OEM shocks, not too bad off road, great on road. Add a leaf and nitrogen shocks, great off road, STIFF on road. Not long after I dumped the add a leaf all together and got a real lift.

Karl and his 2003 6.0

Barefoot Accelerator Pedal
TRICO Force wiper blades
Yellow Military Aircraft Valve Stem Caps
Offensive "Stick Family" Decal
Big Ol'Honkin 1 1/4" Shank Receiver Hitch

WHAT!?! I was trying to list stuff that everyone else
hasn't already listed for their truck!

post #17 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM

ive got the CTS and wouldnt trade it for anything. great peice and it can monitor everything! fuel pressure too if you buy the extra stuff to do it! if you do the egr cooler or delete your dumb not to do the oil cooler while its right there! but check the delta first to see what it is. if its 8* or more id change that sucker! gauges are nice my little bro has the 4 pillar gauge but he keeps kicking himself in the butt because of what i can monitor vs him for almost the same price. plus the cts you can do custom backgrounds and what not. so put a pic of the wife on there so she is happy and you can order more stuff later after she sees that you put her pic on the background of the cts!
post #18 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 PM
RIP Mitch ! We miss you

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is no comparison between an Insight and stand alone gauges. And I'd rather spend the money for the Insight. Actually I run an old original Insight with 3 add'l stand alone gauges.

RIP Mitch

the Org crew
post #19 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

I really like the insight the more I look at them.. like being able to keep the oh sh!t bar and the amount of things it monitors. They are 399 with free next day air shipping so I'm thinking I might get one soon. I'm going to run it basic for now and get the expandable features layer.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'll add in that I love my CTS as well, looking forward to getting the pyro installed this spring, otherwise it's been a great addition to my truck. Very happy I bought it, even if it wasn't the cheapest. I would certainly do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85
In all honesty, once you do the basics(tuner,egr,studs, etc.)which is a small fortune in itself, you're spending clydesdale sized money for walking horse sized gains. And if your truck will break the tires loose as is, where's the benefit?
2005 Excursion
Edge Insight CTS gauges
PowerBastards.com 220A alternator
Magnaflow 4" SS turbo back exhaust
Coolant Filter
Bilstein shocks/steering sabilizer
'08 style tranny pan & filter
Vivians tunes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode