Reliability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reliability

Hello all. Im new to the forums and somewhat to PowerStrokes.

I purchased an 03 F350 about a year ago and recently have begun to have some issues that have turned out pretty costly.... This has lead me to contemplate selling and buying a newer truck or spend the money on fixing what ever needs fixing.... I chose to keep it and fix it. I went from enjoying a "Performance" type truck to now looking to make it a reliable truck that I can Daily and Weekend Overland Warrior for my family of 5.

List of work before I purchased (verified).
FASS Fuel System
Centex Sump Pump
Power Max Stage 1 Turbo
New Turbo Actuator
Blue Spring Mod
New HPOP
ARP Studs
BDP Remote Oil Cooler
BDP EGR Delet
BDP Billet Water Pump
BDP 7.3 Fan Clutch Conversion
Silverline 4 inch Turbo Back Exhaust
Reman 5R110 Transmission
Redhead Steering Box
8" Lift w/ Bilstien 2.0 Resi Shocks

I recently had a brake issue and needed to replace both front Calipers and Rotors. I did a full Fluid change to have a baseline of when I need to have maintenance done. I also had a "No Hot Start" issue which was determined to be oil pressure seals and since injectors were accessible I opted to have them checked out and found those needing to be replace... at this moment I realized that I wanted reliability instead of performance and opted to replace the injectors with Stock Flow Injectors (was told that they had a 2 year warranty and generally lasted longer). At the same time when updating the firmware on my SCT X3 Tuner... it took a dump and needed to replace it.

I am now having a Cold Start issue and have Glow Plug Codes popping up... So I am about to now replace those along with the harness and controller.

I guess my question is; besides what has already been done what can I do to make this truck more reliable in all places and temperatures? I would hate to drive to the middle of no where and have the truck not want to start. Also what spare parts should I be carrying?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2019, 06:04 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
i amnot a guru or anyhing but my first thought would be glow plug harness and or gpcm but perhaps a list of the codes yohu are getting would help someone smarter than i to hep yohu out...
also what kind of hpoop did you install?
the early untit is weak and my first replacement only lasted 20k granted i was stupid and got one from oreallies because it was all that was available to me at the time but...
if it helps i bought my truck not running and went through and fixed a bunch of stuff ad it has been pretty much trouble free for almost 6 years now
kcoyner likes this.

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #3 of 11 Old 11-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How many miles do you have on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 03:31 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
It looks like you have a good start on things. Most of the things you that you've done since purchase are things I consider general maintenance for these trucks. These trucks are very reliable once you get all this stuff worked out and begin a comprehensive and ON TIME maintenance program. For me, It all came down to how I wanted to spend my money. Lump sums with a lot of miles in between with no payments or sign up for those never ending payments that are more than my house payment.

Some other things to consider doing. I second what John said about the HPOP. That's not a part you want to purchase from the chain stores. Be sure your batteries are good. Upgrade the charging system as budget allows. Be sure you have a good 6.4 starter. Consider the Never Stranded V2 fuel system from Marty's Diesel. If you don't have a full time monitor, get one. Read this site....A LOT! You truck is a 17 yr. old mechanical being. For that reason AAA is a must IMHO

k
HP MACHINE likes this.

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #5 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree , I would rather do one dump of cash and if the truck has issues then deal with that at the time . If it's cosmetically good andmostly rust free they are still a good looking truck and regular maintenance should be all that's needed . They all need that .
All of the sudden the newer truck will be aged a bit and it could need repairs . This really sucks ( unless it's covered under warranty )when your making large payments and scrounging to find repair funds .
At least the 6.0 is relatively easy ( easier ) to work on for individuals and mechanics alike compared to other trucks .
Good luck !
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It has 238K miles. I wanna say it has a OEM Ford HPOP

The truck has dual batteries and dual alternators. Looking through receipts it looks like the glow plugs and the harnesses were recently replaced so I may look into the Glow Plug Module and I will look at upgrading the starter; ive seen something about a 6.7 starter?
post #7 of 11 Old 11-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never heard of using a 6.7 starter but I have read a lot about using a 6.4 starter. I would also like to hear if it works.

If it ain't broke, don't break it!
post #8 of 11 Old 11-21-2019, 12:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadnewsBEAR View Post

It has 238K miles. I wanna say it has a OEM Ford HPOP

The truck has dual batteries and dual alternators. Looking through receipts it looks like the glow plugs and the harnesses were recently replaced so I may look into the Glow Plug Module and I will look at upgrading the starter; ive seen something about a 6.7 starter?
I was having problems with my glow plugs, I was getting ready to replace the left bank, harness and controller. I did some research and found that the 6.0 glow plugs are fairly robust and rarely fail. The harness was replaced by the PO, so I (kind of) ruled that out. Next was the module.
I pulled the module and checked the connection of the harness plug.... A little loose on the left bank harness. I looked inside the harness plug and.... The little weather seal/gasket I side the plug had slid all the way inside the plug. I pulled it out, reset it and plugged everything back in. Plug was very tight and no more glow plug problems or lights.
Ended up being an easy and free repair. Always start with the basics before throwing parts at it.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2019, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
If you want reliability you bought the wrong truck....... you might not spend as much cash on your 6 liter as you would on a brand new 6.7 but add up the downtime and the labor you put into your truck. 6.0 might have the worst name of any diesel built for a 3/4 and up truck.
Now after saying this...... I too have one and I’m bullheaded and refuse to sell. It’s a love hate relationship.
If you like your truck keep it and understand that you will have 1000$ plus breakdowns. If you don’t care what you drive I’d get a 7.3 or something newer
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6literbeater View Post
If you want reliability you bought the wrong truck....... you might not spend as much cash on your 6 liter as you would on a brand new 6.7 but add up the downtime and the labor you put into your truck. 6.0 might have the worst name of any diesel built for a 3/4 and up truck.
Now after saying this...... I too have one and I’m bullheaded and refuse to sell. It’s a love hate relationship.
If you like your truck keep it and understand that you will have 1000$ plus breakdowns. If you don’t care what you drive I’d get a 7.3 or something newer
I'm confident in the truck and don't think I'll be spending much more on the engine.

Hasn't always been this way. Too heads (twice), a BPD external oi cooler, A BPD EGR cooler, a FICM, and fixing some exhaust leaks, changing a FICM to get there, and a AAA membership with 200 miles of towing. It does take a lot of bullheadedness and not necessarily rational decisions to get it reliable. Altogether, I've spent about half what I would have to purchase a new 6.7 without adding things like airbags and all other improvements to get the truck my way.

Edit: There's plenty of threads on what you can take for a spare parts kit. The most important one for me is a deepwell socket and extender with a torque wrench to put the Turbo boots back on if they blow. For longer drives with the RV, I take both toolboxes, a battery charger, a spare starter and spare alternator.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:

Last edited by ChrisSki; 11-28-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode