Turbo choice for elevation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-13-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo choice for elevation

Hey all, new here. I love my 7.3 Excursion, but I need a truck, so I picked up a gorgeous 07 F250 FX4 CCSB with about 130k on it. Supposedly has a blown head gasket, and as a result I got it for $4000. Considering there is no way I will own a 6.0 without studding it, I jumped at it.

So I'm gonna pull off the cab and stud it, new oil cooler, coolant filter, and a Sinister EGR cooler (emissions on diesels where I live). Then an exhaust and probably an SCT Livewire.
While I'm at it I might have a little fun with it and throw in some 155/30s and a turbo. I'm not looking to go nuts on power. I want it to stay reliable and not need a built transmission. I tow a couple times a month. Usually between 5000 and 8000 pounds, once in a great while 10,000.
I'm looking at a KC stage 1, stage 1.5, or a BD stage 1. I think any stage 2 will be too much.

Here is why: I live in Colorado Springs and I'm at 6000' elevation and sometimes go up higher. Lag is an accepted part of life here, but I don't need to go making it a whole lot worse on purpose.

So does anyone who lives at fairly high elevation have experience with a setup like what I am planning, and have any insight as to which turbo to go for? I called BD and KC, and it seemed like they obviously know their turbos, but don't really know too much about elevation and how it affects it. I'm looking for at least 400 rwhp on a tow tune, and a little more on a hot tune.
Will the stage 1 get me there? Will the 1.5 be significantly more laggy? KC or BD?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
I went with a KC stage one with the 13 blade wheel to reduce lag as much as possible since I have a manual transmission. It has worked as well or better than expected.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #3 of 20 Old 11-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I think a KC Stage 1 will fit just fine. @peixinho can answer your question better than I can though.

Not turbo related, but FWIW, I would spend the extra money on a BPD EGR cooler 10x over the Sinister EGR cooler. If you're gonna do it, do it right...do it once!

-jokester
darianmacdonald likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I went with a KC stage one with the 13 blade wheel to reduce lag as much as possible since I have a manual transmission. It has worked as well or better than expected.
Any idea how much HP/TQ you're making? What's your elevation?

Last edited by Crashandburn; 11-14-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You are not going to get 400 rwhp from a 6.0 on a tow tune without serious upgrades. Not just a turbo. A performance tune, sure, but not a tow tune. 190/30's and a Stage 1.5 or Stage 2 and a very hot tow tune might get you close, but your towing will suffer with that much tune.

If you want a good tow vehicle that's fun to drive at elevation, get the KC Stage 1 one and drive on. If you want a little more, get the Stage 1.5 and some injectors. IMO, the 1.5 needs a little more injector than stock to really shine. I have one, so I'm speaking from my personal experience.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #6 of 20 Old 11-14-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

155/30s should get me there according to Warren, BD and a couple others. I'm more concerned with getting the turbo to spool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
You are not going to get 400 rwhp from a 6.0 on a tow tune without serious upgrades. Not just a turbo. A performance tune, sure, but not a tow tune. 190/30's and a Stage 1.5 or Stage 2 and a very hot tow tune might get you close, but your towing will suffer with that much tune.

If you want a good tow vehicle that's fun to drive at elevation, get the KC Stage 1 one and drive on. If you want a little more, get the Stage 1.5 and some injectors. IMO, the 1.5 needs a little more injector than stock to really shine. I have one, so I'm speaking from my personal experience.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 04:18 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashandburn View Post
Any idea how much HP/TQ you're making? What's your elevation?
Honestly, no idea and I really don't care. I have done more upgrades than what's in my signature. To me the most important thing is it's reliable and has all the power I need. I push the throttle down and the 9k pound truck rockets off. Elevation is 500-1500 above sea level at any given time.
jokester00 and letsmow10 like this.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #8 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashandburn View Post
155/30s should get me there according to Warren, BD and a couple others. I'm more concerned with getting the turbo to spool.
I won't argue with the experts, but are you sure they said "rear wheel HP" and tow tune?

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #9 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yup, I asked twice to be sure. The only thing that I can't really get a great answer on is the turbo. And I get it, there are a lot of variables. But it seems like they are afraid to overpromise. One guy recommended not going over stock! He couldn't believe me when I told him that I hear that Powermax whistle that you can pick out a mile away, all the time.

Like I said before, some turbo lag is expected here in CO. Bigger turbos lag more. But injectors and tuning will spool a turbo. The question is how much?
I currently drive a 7.3 Excursion with a DP tuner. It spools as well as you could hope for. At sea level it's better. But it still does fine at elevation, and that's without VGT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
I won't argue with the experts, but are you sure they said "rear wheel HP" and tow tune?
post #10 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fair enough. If you're happy with how it runs, who cares what number shows up on a graph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Honestly, no idea and I really don't care. I have done more upgrades than what's in my signature. To me the most important thing is it's reliable and has all the power I need. I push the throttle down and the 9k pound truck rockets off. Elevation is 500-1500 above sea level at any given time.
Chris likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode