Kc stage 2 and 4 inch back with sct x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris
  • 2 Post By 6literbeater
  • 1 Post By 6literbeater
  • 1 Post By peixinho
  • 1 Post By Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kc stage 2 and 4 inch back with sct x4

So I have the kc stage 2 on my truck now after an icp issue warranted a mild tear down. My exhaust fell off at the axle on the way to a family members so the job was three fold, #1 fix icp 2 exhaust and 3 put the kc under my hood.
Truck sat for about a week while I drove dads truck. Finished the job only to have my airdog 4g 165 to cutout on me a week later after all cylinders showing contribution codes and i did not suspect fuel because I just did all that work and my pump was installed in May. I wonít go to deep into that experience as ďfunĒ as it was but anyhow, truck has 4 inch back, with a stage 2 and new icp with pigtail.

My impression so far about the kc stage 2 (mind you I still need to put the tune on it so I havenít gone full throttle with it..... just got my truck running after sitting for another 3 weeks because of fuel pump issues so I wasnt worried about power)

This thing is fricken loud. Like super loud. Like I donít really like how loud it is and I was pretty fond of my stock 03 turbo whistle. My neighbors definitely hate me now.
Powerband moved up in Rpm quite a bit. You need to figure out what you want before buying a turbo and Iím not sure if I like this yet but we will see after tuning and what not.
I donít want this to be negative because kc has some excellent customer service and thatís why I went with them. They respond to questions at all hours of the night, the donít sugar coat answers to the stupid newbie questions that I can tell they get 100 times a day. I think the guys name was Charlie........ talked with him a lot and he put me in the right direction as far as picking turbo and what sets of injectors make a good setup with this turbo Iím thinking 190s with a 30 nozzle at the moment but not fully made up my mind yet. So far the truck is peppy. With some more drive time Iíll update my thread and see what happens with a tune and sticks down the road.

So what do you guys think about this build so far.....
Kc stage 2
Studded w oem gaskets
Dorman oil cooler and egr cooler (I know not a good choice)
Blue spring
Stock hfcm
Sct x4 with a tune from tsd for the kc turbo
Stock sticks
Scangauge 2
285s on stock rims
Soon to have ipr remote oil cooler kit with delete

What is this combo capable of as far as torque and horsepower?

I feel like the next step is bigger sticks and a complementary tune. What else is there that I could do to make this thing keep up with say a 6.7 powerstroke if thatís even possible? My buddy has a 06 duramax with whatever lm something motor thatís in it and efi live and the thing seems like a rocket to me. Iíd like to outrun him a time or 2 that might be a more realistic goal I suppose. Hit me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds like you put a big turbo in the truck with injectors that are too small and without a tune. I'm surprised the truck doesn't run terribly. The reality is the stage 2 really isn't designed to run with stock injectors due to the wheel sizes, although it will.

I talked with Charlie for a while before deciding on the stage 1. I wanted some power, but still be able to hook up the 5th wheel trailer and not have ungodly EGTs. It wasn't until I received the custom tunes from TSD, a couple days after I installed the turbo, that the truck really woke up.

Here would be my suggestions for your next mods:

1. Get a decent monitor that will allow you to monitor EGTs...like order it today.
2. Get a tune designed for your setup.
3. Get larger injectors that will take advantage of the larger turbo you installed when your budget allows.
4. Get a tune designed for your setup.
5. Get your truck on a dyno so you actually know what the output is. Take the information from the dyno run and give it to your tuner to see if the tunes can be cleaned up at all.
peixinho likes this.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I’ll be sure to start monitoring egts. I use a scangauge and the sct x4 to see what’s going on in my truck. I think my map sensor is bad so I’ll replace that tomorrow and see if it helps at all.
I discussed the build with Charlie and he said I would be fine with stage 2 and stock sticks. 190-30s are kinda what I’m leaning towards in the future so hopefully it will live till then
peixinho and Chris like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do have a tune from tsd that is supposed to be designed around a setup with just the turbo and another that is designed for turbo with sticks
Just FYI
Chris likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
I wouldn't put a Dorman oil cooler on a 6.0. There's a high probability that it will be a waste of time and money.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #6 of 8 Old 10-25-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes I had to learn the hard way. I bought a ipr egr delete and oil cooler relocation to hopefully fix the issue before it happens
post #7 of 8 Old 11-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stage 2 definitely moves the power band up in the rpms... which supports larger injectors. Some guys swear the KC s2 spools faster than stock... I am not one of them. It is always a trade off with turbos... you can do your best to optimize a certain size, but bigger turbos make more power... but spool slower.

So if staying with stock injectors long term, we no longer recommend the KC S2. We have other options that will full take advantage of stock fueling without moving the power band so far up in the rpms. Hope that makes sense.

But once you get 190/30s or 175/30s paired with the KC s2 it will blow you mind how much different the truck is.
Patriot likes this.

KC Turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Setup 190/30 and KC 64mm Stage 2 turbo
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2019, 04:28 AM
'consent of the governed'

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Garage
What's up stranger?

Charlie is a stand up guy. Period.
peixinho likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode