IDP Tunes……worth it to try some others? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question IDP Tunes……worth it to try some others?

I’ve been running IDP Tunes (X-Street, Street, Tow) since I got my truck a few years ago. I run the tow tune the majority of the time, sometimes I run the Street, and never really touch the X-Street…..it just shifts too hard for daily driving. All the tunes seem to run clean, and I really have no issues with them.

That being said….since tunes for the SCT X4 are relatively cheap, would it be worth it to try out a tune or two from another company? Does the way the truck acts and drives vary a bunch from different tune companies? I hear good things about the Looney and SRL tunes.....

Just wondering…..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I say yes. I used to run IDP Xtreme Race before. I felt it shifted too hard under regular driving and the power came on a little abrupt. I either had to baby it or be WOT. I later tried SRLXX from GH and thought it drove much better as a daily. It still has firm shifting, but not as bad as Xtreme Race. Power also is much more linear.

I've tried tow tunes from GH, IDP, and Windrunner for stock tranny. Warren for my built trans. Hands down for me the Warren tow tune feels the best when towing. It's decent, but sometimes short shifts the gears if I was slightly aggressive on take off.

Warren tow tune has a bit too much fuel for summer use. I have to watch ECT/EOT on grades during heavy throttle. I'll probably have it revised at some point.

With that said... Yes it is worth trying other tunes. I ran my IDP tunes for years thinking the same thing. When I switched I was happy. If I go to the track I'll load the IDP Xtreme Race tune, because I feel it fuels the hardest and nothing holds it back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hated my IDP tunes on both my 6.0's. Got Matt's SRL+ and never looked back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I second jman37. I ran Gearhead for a while then tried IDP for brief stint, wasnt for me. Wasnt a fan of the shifting by any means and just the way it ran overall. Went right back to Gearhead and havent swapped since. Gearhead has excellent customer service as well, cant say enough good things about them in that regard. I had them make me a SRL file with a little bit of fuel pulled and I use it as a daily and to tow, works awesome. I like to call it... " SRL - " ....
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Well...I went to the gearhead site to look at their custom 6.0 tunes. What's with the big "custom tunes do not delete any emmisions devices and will require a working egr system, and will also disable any EGR delete built into the tuning device" type disclaimer??

Sorry..I have my EGR deleted. Does that mean I'm going to have a constant check engine light on while running gearhead custom tunes??

Am I reading it wrong?? It's hard to believe that they would do that on their custom tunes.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bet if you called you'd be all set. Probably due to the EPA cracking down on all the tuning companies now. Probably just "there" to look good...
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had the IDP tunes for my first set of tunes and really enjoyed them. I then got a KC S2 turbo and tried PHP tunes and hated those. After fighting the PHP tunes(without bothering for revisions so this experience is slightly skewed) I went with TSD tunes. Hands down the best tunes I've run. I had the SPD and a tow tune from them. I would recommend their tow tune to anyone it was the best. It drove great and didn't hold gears forever like most other tow tunes I had while I was unloaded. And a quick search on here will give you all you need to know about the Super Panty Dropper. Just exquisite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode