External oil cooler for performance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
External oil cooler for performance

Anyone out here running an external oil cooler? Iím wondering if they offer more oil cooling capacity than the stock internal unit.

Hereís my situation. Iíve owned my truck for 6 months. Iíve replaced the internal cooler twice, thoroughly disassembled and flushed the coolant system & added a coolant filter. During low speed driving, the EOT and ECT remain in the normal range ([email protected] and [email protected]). Once I hit highway speeds, the EOT climbs to 235😬. The temp will fall back down when I slow down.

I canít keep changing the cooler every 2 months. I know that there are 3rd party external oil cooler kits. Is anyone running one successfully?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney Koning View Post
Anyone out here running an external oil cooler? Iím wondering if they offer more oil cooling capacity than the stock internal unit.

Hereís my situation. Iíve owned my truck for 6 months. Iíve replaced the internal cooler twice, thoroughly disassembled and flushed the coolant system & added a coolant filter. During low speed driving, the EOT and ECT remain in the normal range ([email protected] and [email protected]). Once I hit highway speeds, the EOT climbs to 235😬. The temp will fall back down when I slow down.

I canít keep changing the cooler every 2 months. I know that there are 3rd party external oil cooler kits. Is anyone running one successfully?
Bulletproof diesel is the ONLY TRUSTED AND QUALITY oil cooler kit for the 6.0L period. Any research would show that. It eliminates the need for monitoring the oil and coolant temp difference and just works. Yes its pricey but no one has developed such a quality kit that has the research and development. I didn't even run one but my temps were great after the flush and stud job etc.

PLEASE DONT waste time with these ebay kits they will not function and work like they describe. More users may post but most will see your question and there just isn't an alternative (quality and function wise) to the air cooled buylletproof diesel kit.
junior125 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
I have an air cooled BPD oil cooler and oil temps are not a worry anymore. I'm not saying the oil won't get hot, but there's no concern about delta. Delta in a OEM cooler means its clogged, and there's no worry about a clogged cooler. My oil temps now that I've put in a mechanical 7.3 clutch will not reach 200 slick and maybe 210 tops when towing uphill, all in 100į ambient air temps. The fan pulls so much more air across the BPD oil cooler, the air condenser, the intercooler and the radiator. Prior to the mechanical clutch, I'd have 205-210į slick in 100į weather. Towing up a hill EVT would be 220 and EOT would be 238į and the electric fan would kick on and cool it way down. The only complaint about the BPD air cooled cooler may be in extreme cold temps, like in the winter north, the oil temps won't get up to operating temps, even with the thermostat kit installed and closed, unless the oil radiator has a blanket over it.

So, is the cooling capacity more? IMO they designed a 100,00 BTU cooler (thanks to @DJM cguire for that number), which is the same as the OEM, but my opinion is that it may cool a little less idling in the heat without the airflow over the radiator and in normal driving conditions down the road, but cools more in extreme winter temps.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
I love oil cooler conversations that forget the water pump and tstat play a part in potential sources of the problem. Since you didn't say either of those were checked the first two times....make it three? But hey...$pend that money.
fordsvtparts likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #5 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,038 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It seems to me that he is asking about oil cooler relocations. If so, I have been running a BPD oil cooler relocation for a few years now. Works perfectly fine.

You can read about the installation here:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/po...iscellany.html

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 11 Old 07-17-2019, 02:07 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Quote:

I canít keep changing the cooler every 2 months.

I know what he was asking about, an external cooler.

What he described doesn't mean his current system is functioning 100%. It reads just like a problem exists and a BPD cooler will only mask a problem that may get uglier down the road. Fix the OEM stuff to get it working 100% then do mods.
fordsvtparts and djmaguire like this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2019, 03:37 AM
Unapologetically American

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What kind of gearing do you have? How fast are you going on the hwy?

I drive a towboss with 4.30 gears and I know mine runs at a higher temp at 70mph than the same truck with 3.73 due to the higher rpm range. The proper test (65mph, no load, after hitting OP temp) can't be done with my truck without some modification to the speed.

2006 F350 King Ranch

ARP Studs
Kill Devil Diesel o-ringed heads
Fel-pro HG's
6.4 pushrods
Stage 1 (61mm x 13 blade) DIY turbo from KCturbo's
ODAWG S3R
Bulletproof 53v FICM
Rotella ELC
No Limit intake
CCV reroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Oh yea real men have 4Ē down pipes

post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,038 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
I know what he was asking about, an external cooler. ...
Yeah, I reread it and now see it the same way that you do. I'm not quite sure what made me think relocation on the first read. Maybe beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
What kind of gearing do you have? How fast are you going on the hwy?

I drive a towboss with 4.30 gears and I know mine runs at a higher temp at 70mph than the same truck with 3.73 due to the higher rpm range. The proper test (65mph, no load, after hitting OP temp) can't be done with my truck without some modification to the speed.
Good point to mention. I have a similar thing going on. My recommendation is 1900RPM rather than 65mph.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 AM
Unapologetically American

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's the way we should be looking at it instead of just going off our speed, although I didn't know the specific rpm for a 3.73 geared truck at 65. Thanks
djmaguire likes this.

2006 F350 King Ranch

ARP Studs
Kill Devil Diesel o-ringed heads
Fel-pro HG's
6.4 pushrods
Stage 1 (61mm x 13 blade) DIY turbo from KCturbo's
ODAWG S3R
Bulletproof 53v FICM
Rotella ELC
No Limit intake
CCV reroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Oh yea real men have 4Ē down pipes

post #10 of 11 Old 07-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Just to stir it a little. There's also the IPR kit that uses a factory cooler that just relocates it out of the valley and puts a full flow coolant filter before the cooler

After addressing any other malfunctions of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode