Kind of new (to me) 6.0 & Upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

6Likes
  • 1 Post By benchmstr
  • 1 Post By repalmer
  • 1 Post By Jjorgis5569
  • 2 Post By john galt
  • 1 Post By eagle#eyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kind of new (to me) 6.0 & Upgrades

Hi all,

Cant tell you how much help this forum has helped me in my investigations into the ups and downs that is the 6.0. You guys rock

Had my 6.0 for a little over a year now, 2005 f250 lariat, 43k miles. (60k now) and still have yet to do a single thing to it, haven't even washed the darn thing.

Got a OBDII adapter and Torque app, was running at 11 deg. difference when I bought it, currently now is 13 deg. difference in oil and coolant temp. I have all the new coolant but have not yet done the flush until I could find a cheaper option for a backflush adapter to the cooler.

Anyways, just wanted to start some small talk and see if I can get some opinions in not only how far I should take the "upgrades" on this thing but also some recent things I read/heard.

Currently looking at buying the following as "phase 1"

- IPR gen 3 EGR delete, still undecided if I want the new oil cooler + extreme HPOP screen or just try back flushing my existing cooler.

-IPR high flow coolant kit.

-SCTx4 tuner w/ custom tunes, I need to link up with someone on the forum to get a good deal on one. Also, I just read today that the new SCT's now do not have the option for EGR deletes on there canned tunes, can anyone else validate this?

Phase 2 could be a multitude of things and are really cosmetic, sound good/look good things.

-4" turbo back exhaust with muffler only.
-No limit fab intake.
-FICM basic tune/rebuild if ever needed? not sure if ill mess with this or not.
-External fuel pump.
-Maybe a cheap way to get some lift.
-Rims/tires blah blah blah.

I guess my biggest problem right now is budget. Id love to stud it, do the BPD external cooler kit and whatever other fancy stuff there is to do that ive read on this forum, but im trying to keep my checkbook in mind. But are either of these things even worth it if you take care of your cooler and flush/backflush as long as you can? I mean one of the main reasons the gaskets blow is directly linked to clogged oil coolers correct?

One last thing, are "upgraded" turbo wheels really worth it? considering they are so much less expensive compared to a stage 1 turbo.

No real good questions here, but I don't know enough to comment on anyone elses thread nor do I want to highjack another thread, so here we are.

Thanks again! :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1211.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	720299   Click image for larger version

Name:	12212.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	720301  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Clogged oil cooler causes EGR cooler problems. It's mainly caused by the Ford coolant. Get the IPR back flush kit and get CAT rated coolant with out silicates
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
forget the tunes and rims and all that little boy stuff! that comes later! priorities first.

now, stud it, get a new oil cooler, and delete the egr...then when its mechanically sound and not a ticking time bomb......then "bro" it out.

as far as the bullet proof diesel oil cooler is concerned, I run the heavy duty air/oil version and its great along with a host of other bullet proof products...but its not necessary.

and once you replace the oil cooler flush out the ford coolant and get ELC.

bench
letsmow10 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmstr View Post
forget the tunes and rims and all that little boy stuff! that comes later! priorities first.

now, stud it, get a new oil cooler, and delete the egr...then when its mechanically sound and not a ticking time bomb......then "bro" it out.

as far as the bullet proof diesel oil cooler is concerned, I run the heavy duty air/oil version and its great along with a host of other bullet proof products...but its not necessary.

bench
Flush it first. Might not need a new cooler
john galt likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by repalmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmstr View Post

bench
Flush it first. Might not need a new cooler
Exactly! Get the priorities handled first!

Bench
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2019, 01:46 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
As @bismic told me when I first came here-if you run tunes you will blow head gaskets if you arenít studded. Follow the advice given here, and it will save a lot of frustration. Thatís quite a low mileage truck.
john galt likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
first problem i see...
you used the words budget and 6.0 in the same sentence.
maintenance is key to a happy life with a 6.0 and it sounds like you found a nice super low mile truck.

oil changes on time every time your injectors are run by the hp oil system so clean oil is ore important than on any other vehicle and it is still the single most important thing to the longevity of any vehicle.

flush that gold crap out and do so BEFORE changing the oil cooler because if you flush it after you could clog the new cooler permanently.

go through ALL your fluid and change everything so you have new and a good starting point for your maintenance routine.

check out your ficm and charging system upgrade and repair as needed and not with parts store parts...
those systems are notorious for failing and a cascading event occurs that takes out the alt batteries ficm and injectors...this is thousands to fix even if you do the work yourself.

not sure where you are located but find a shop that works on 6.0's and does it RIGHT..
LOTS of shops work on 6.0's and even if they do so by the book there are still tricks and tips that will get you more happy miles out of your truck than just doing what the manual says.
ask around bother people with 6.0's at the gas station find out who they use and what has worked for them.
there are good shops all over the country some better than others but there are far more shops that do a lot of work on our trucks because they never do it right to begin with.
owning a 6.0 is like dating a super model
it can make you the happiest man on earth but there is a price to pay and if you ignore either it will cost you one way or another down the road.

you can put of studs but studs and orings are two of the best things you can do to keep your truck on the road
you can run tunes without studs...but you do so at your own risk.
start saving now for orings heads new push rods studs start collecting arts now it will help take the sting out of studding when you time comes. which it will...
if you drive a dodge you will need a trans if you drive a 6 liter you will need studs and head gaskets.
if you do it right the first time you will have a truck that is good to go for half a million miles relatively trouble free and that is an absolute blast to drive...
if you do it wrong your truck will spend more time in the shop than on the road and you will hate the thing on a deep spiritual level.

thats about the best help i can be.
good luck and many happy miles
mhatlen and letsmow10 like this.

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[QUOTE=john galt;16300059]first problem i see...
you used the words budget and 6.0 in the same sentence.

This part gave me a chuckle also. I'm getting ready to do injectors. Already did a BPD oil cooler and EGR, then a new turbo, all in the first year.
john galt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode