Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0L Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   Stage 2 Turbo w/ Stock Injectors FICM Tune (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/1364677-stage-2-turbo-w-stock-injectors-ficm-tune.html)

cjchico4 06-12-2019 10:00 AM

Stage 2 Turbo w/ Stock Injectors FICM Tune

Hi,

I have stock injectors, stock turbo (w/ 10 blade turbine wheel), airdog lift pump, and a FICM tuner (currently running Atlas 80). I was looking at getting a KC Stage 2 turbo. Some people have told me to just get the stage 1 if I'm not going to upgrade my injectors. Others have said I will be fine with the stage 2 since my ficm is tuned.

2 of my friends have stage 2 turbos (one KC and the other BD). Both their trucks are running street tunes and they have way more power than my truck on SPD.

Basically I want to know if going with the stage 2 is worth it over stage 1 (it's only a couple hundred $ difference). I'm not going to upgrade my injectors anytime soon, but if I decide to in the next couple years, I would probably get 175/30's.

Thanks!

junior125 06-12-2019 10:16 AM

if you're going to go to 175/30's I'd personally recommend going to the KC S2 now

cjchico4 06-12-2019 10:19 AM

Ok thanks. Will it be that laggy since I have a ficm tune? Right now, it seems I have too much fuel (SPD tune and Atlas 80) and need more air.

junior125 06-12-2019 11:13 AM

do you have the FICM tune from PHP or did you have just a single flash done?

cjchico4 06-12-2019 11:19 AM

I bought the ficm tuner so I can switch between all 4 tunes. I normally run Atlas 80, though.

White_Buffalo7.3 06-12-2019 11:30 AM

I'm interested in the answer. I know nothing about 6.0s but a guy i work with runs a s2 on his stock injectors and seems to like it.

junior125 06-12-2019 11:32 AM

I would go with the S2, seen as you can switch between the tunes you can figure out where you like it to be the best

R&Rpowerstroke 06-12-2019 01:02 PM

Do you tow, and how do you drive your truck? I ran the KC stage 2 for a couple years and loved it. My original intention was to upgrade to 190-30's but decided to stay stock on sticks. Recently sold my stage 2 and bought a KC stage 1. I run either Atlas 80 or Hercules along with GH tuning and the Stage 1 is better for mileage, towing, and my dogs ears. It is quicker off the line as well, but overall boost on stock sticks is about 2 psi lower and on wot on a ff race tune it runs 50-100į hotter. I can still hit 40psi on the stage 1 and beat up on Dirtys and Dodges if I choose. It really depends on if you tow, what your future plans are, how much money you plan on putting into your truck, and how long you want to keep it. Personally I would lean towards the stage 1 unless you plan on upgrading your fuel, sticks, intercooler, oringed heads, and so on and so fourth. If you want quick spool, better towability, and overall lower cost go with the Stage 1.

Sixleaker450 06-12-2019 01:21 PM

I have a BD stage 1 and 175/ stock sticks and it runs great and pulls hard. Minimal smoke (dependent on the tune) I am happy with the stage 1 as I do not plan to go with bigger nozzles.

cjchico4 06-19-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R&Rpowerstroke (Post 16294539)
Do you tow, and how do you drive your truck? I ran the KC stage 2 for a couple years and loved it. My original intention was to upgrade to 190-30's but decided to stay stock on sticks. Recently sold my stage 2 and bought a KC stage 1. I run either Atlas 80 or Hercules along with GH tuning and the Stage 1 is better for mileage, towing, and my dogs ears. It is quicker off the line as well, but overall boost on stock sticks is about 2 psi lower and on wot on a ff race tune it runs 50-100į hotter. I can still hit 40psi on the stage 1 and beat up on Dirtys and Dodges if I choose. It really depends on if you tow, what your future plans are, how much money you plan on putting into your truck, and how long you want to keep it. Personally I would lean towards the stage 1 unless you plan on upgrading your fuel, sticks, intercooler, oringed heads, and so on and so fourth. If you want quick spool, better towability, and overall lower cost go with the Stage 1.

I don't tow but there's always a chance I would and I'd just throw a tow tune on with a lower ficm tune if I had to. I don't beat the piss out of my truck but sometimes I do rip on it. Is the stage 2 louder than the stage 1?

To me it's worth the extra ~$200 for the stage 2 because then if I ever upgrade my injectors I'll already have it. I don't plan on upgrading injectors anytime soon, though. I'd rather have quicker spool and better mileage, but I also want the most power for the money.