Turbo conudrum... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Turbo conudrum...

Hey all! Been a while since I have been on here. Help spend my money...lol. Unfortunately, I just lost my KC S2R. And yes, I have been in contact with Charlie at KC. I am sure he is going to take good care of me. I have had the turbo a year and have really enjoyed it. It spooled quick. I have replaced it with the stocker 06 while I get this sorted. I am torn with my decision. After years of listening to the whistle, and I have an open vane tune at idle, I think I am done with it. The 06 turbo noise has been kinda nice, I guess I am getting old, lol. I don't think I want a stage 2 vgt, maybe consder a 1.5, however I don't really want to sacrifice performance. I currently run 190/30 injectors and am on 3.73 gears and 35s. I would't mind a bump in HP, just want something that may be a little quiter, close to stock spooling and has good street manners. I have considered a s362 and s363 non vgt as well with a smaller turbine. Only tow a flats boat currently, but don't want something that would make towing impossible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris... LBCC dirty old XL... studded and deleted, oringed heads, CCV reroute to exhaust on 5" axle dump, Odawg S3r intake, KC S2R, Holder's 190/30s, custom built R/R with 6.7 pump and Fuel lab parts, AFE/CXS intake, BD ypipe and manis, CSF intercooler, Turbosmart BOV. PMF traction bars and steering components..... almost done, I hope.

Sent from a boat in the middle of a swamp....far away from humanity as possible....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you don't mind my asking, how'd the S2R fail? I've been waiting (somewhat) patiently for them to pop back in stock so I can grab one
letsmow10 likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doward View Post
If you don't mind my asking, how'd the S2R fail? I've been waiting (somewhat) patiently for them to pop back in stock so I can grab one
It actually just blew an oil seal. It still performed nicely. Haven't got confirmation yet on wether it can be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doward View Post
Mine failed as well and they stood behind it and gave me a stage 2 non roller bearing. As I understand it the bearing is the culprit and the seal is collateral damage. Mine ran away running on oil from the turbo... got very lucky and got it in overdrive with the tc locked and was able to stall it. If KC can find a better bearing I will definitely go back to the S2R as it was amazing right up until it wasn't!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Sounds like KC's pulled them down then until they get the bearing / seal situation sorted. Makes sense, they seem to stand behind their turbos (can't say I've heard anything bad about them!) Appreciate the info.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82 View Post
Hey all! Been a while since I have been on here. Help spend my money...lol. Unfortunately, I just lost my KC S2R. And yes, I have been in contact with Charlie at KC. I am sure he is going to take good care of me. I have had the turbo a year and have really enjoyed it. It spooled quick. I have replaced it with the stocker 06 while I get this sorted. I am torn with my decision. After years of listening to the whistle, and I have an open vane tune at idle, I think I am done with it. The 06 turbo noise has been kinda nice, I guess I am getting old, lol. I don't think I want a stage 2 vgt, maybe consder a 1.5, however I don't really want to sacrifice performance. I currently run 190/30 injectors and am on 3.73 gears and 35s. I would't mind a bump in HP, just want something that may be a little quiter, close to stock spooling and has good street manners. I have considered a s362 and s363 non vgt as well with a smaller turbine. Only tow a flats boat currently, but don't want something that would make towing impossible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Charlie is the guy to ask. See what he recommends as a replacement, I'm sure he's gonna treat you right.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82 View Post

I have done a few nonvgt kits and I will say this if you think that Vgt is loud then donít even think about going nonvgt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
Charlie is the guy to ask. See what he recommends as a replacement, I'm sure he's gonna treat you right.
Yeah, I know. I am just going to send it in and go from there.
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycefow View Post
I have done a few nonvgt kits and I will say this if you think that Vgt is loud then donít even think about going nonvgt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do tell... I got a chance to drive @junior125 's truck before he went the Cummins conversion route with 175/30s and an s363, I thought it was decent. I am really enjoying the peace and quiet of the 06 turbo right now, Lol. Maybe I am getting old or need to buy a 6.7. All I know is I like no truck payment and if I get rid of the truck or not I want it dialed in.
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 AM
Fummins Mod

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Garage
whats the heaviest you're going to tow Chris, no matter which direction you go, you'll still need to keep RPM's up towing

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

P-Pump 12 Valve/NV4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
When a saint tells you, ya gotta listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode