OBD port with 2 devices - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBD port with 2 devices

Question, I currently have an insurance monitoring device plugged into my OBD port. I am going to purchase an insight CTS2 for monitoring gauges. I know you can buy a splitter, but Edge says having to monitoring things plugged in may affect my insight cts2. Does anyone have any experience with 2 monitoring devices plugged in at once on your 6.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No way to choose an insurance carrier that doesn't want you to run a monitor? I have never ever seen someone get a lower annual premium getting those only higher because they usually measure and look for aggressive breaking/acceleration/annual miles if the computer can transmit it etc.
MrTommy and iHenry like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I actually save $85 every six months!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Man, those insurance devices can't be good from a consumer standpoint - if you ever get in an accident, they can and will use it against you. Imagine them knowing if you ever speed, or what your speed is if you ever get in an accident (even if the accident is not your fault) they will know things from that gizmo. I bet it has gps and all kinds of info gathering tech. If you only go to church and back and never stand on the skinny, then these contraptions may save you some moola.

I've tried the splitter and have had mixed results. If you leave both devices plugged in and start the vehicle, one or both might conflict with the boot-sequence of the other. My Edge wanted to be first then later I would add my second device. But that proved to be a PITA to perform each time I started the truck.

I ended up just using my CTS only.....
HP MACHINE likes this.

"Life is a Garden - Dig It!!!" ~ Joe Dirt
"Rub Some Dirt On It!!!"
"God Made Dirt, Dirt Don't Hurt!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Super Duty F-250 Lariat CCSB: Edge CTS Insight - BPD FICM - Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter - ProComp 20" wheels - Toyo M/T 35's - ReadyLift w/ Bilstein 5100's - 4" MagnaFlow Exhaust
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
$85 in 6 months?? LMAO....throw that thing out the window. Plug in your CTS2 and be happy.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #6 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My insurance company called and gave the speech about how having one could lower my rates based on my good driving (yeah). After she got done with her sales pitch, I asked her if they could raise my rates based on what they find. She was silent and then started stumbling. I laughed and told her no thanks.
HeavyAssault and iHenry like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gonna pick the CTS2 over the insurance devise. Thanks for all your input!
post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Dirt? View Post
Man, those insurance devices can't be good from a consumer standpoint - if you ever get in an accident, they can and will use it against you. Imagine them knowing if you ever speed, or what your speed is if you ever get in an accident (even if the accident is not your fault) they will know things from that gizmo. I bet it has gps and all kinds of info gathering tech. If you only go to church and back and never stand on the skinny, then these contraptions may save you some moola.

I've tried the splitter and have had mixed results. If you leave both devices plugged in and start the vehicle, one or both might conflict with the boot-sequence of the other. My Edge wanted to be first then later I would add my second device. But that proved to be a PITA to perform each time I started the truck.

I ended up just using my CTS only.....
You have a great picture for every situation .....LMFAO .
Got Dirt? likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I work in tech helping some clients store this data - It's considered an Internet Of Things use case. Fleet tracking, nation wide used car companies, and of course, insurance are the biggest consumers of this information.

In general, insurance companies demand the most thorough data collection. It's not uncommon for an insurance company to collect 300+ vehicle telemetry data points every second about your vehicle.

I would NOT want my insurance company to use what went on in the moments leading up to an accident against me. It's not just about rates, it's also about claims!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Insurance info

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMikeL View Post
I would NOT want my insurance company to use what went on in the moments leading up to an accident against me. It's not just about rates, it's also about claims!
That's true, but if you aren't at fault the data could clear you and save you a big headache.

4" Turbo back exhaust, EGR update, AFE dry filter system, Amsoil Oil bypass kit, High Idle Mod

Coming soon
Blue spring update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode