Fuel Sump Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kryptic_361
  • 1 Post By kbnw15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel Sump Questions

I do apologize if all these questions are covered somewhere I was having trouble sifting through all the info to find answers to my liking.

First off I have some of the normal mods on the truck done. I have 4" turbo back exhaust, AFE Cold air intake, KC stage 2 turbo, and SCT with TSD tunes. The truck is studded. I am currently running stock fuel system and basically plan on leaving it that way minus installing a sump.

I've been getting some weird performance lately out of the truck (roughly the past month or two). I have run it out of fuel twice on accident is that amount of time. The weird part of this was that the low fuel indicator never came on and the guage was low but not bottomed out. Since the first time I ran out I have tried to avoid going below a quarter of a tank for fear of running out and doing harm to the injectors. I am at a loss as to why the low fuel light has quit coming on and why I have been having these low tank issues.
Just brainstorming I got to think, "Well hey dummy if the fuel is running to a sump in the bottom of the tank then that should be better than sucking through a straw from the top." Am I onto something or is that just wishful thinking and me wanting to add a new part to my truck to look cool? lol

Also if a sump would help with that issue is ok to do with the stock pump and otherwise completely stock fuel system?

Thanks for anyone who reads through that rambling and extra thanks to anyone who chimes in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The pick up tube in the truck is a known failure point. By swapping that out should, fix your problem. Can't comment on the sump part. I do think changing the pick up tube would be way cheaper than creating a mod with a sump pump. Very rarely can I create something for cheaper than I can but it, mostly because of tooling up costs.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
i just installed a no drop sump on my truck. total cost was under $100 total and thats buying the fittings, hose and the sump itself and took less than an hour to install. my pick up tube end fell off and decided instead of dealing with it i just would rather have a sump.
ChrisSki likes this.

Colin
06 Ram 3500 4x4 24v CR Cummins with some goodies
"dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking Colin7.3. I just wasn't sure if the sump setup would work without changing to an Airdog or Fass fuel pump since most people I hear of that have sumps are using it to feed bigger injectors.

I had also heard about that pickup tube falling off or just being junk also Chris. I appreciate the input and may use that as alternative option. Like I said in my first post I almost want to put the sump in so I can be one of "the cool kids". lol
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnw15 View Post
That's what I was thinking Colin7.3. I just wasn't sure if the sump setup would work without changing to an Airdog or Fass fuel pump since most people I hear of that have sumps are using it to feed bigger injectors.

I had also heard about that pickup tube falling off or just being junk also Chris. I appreciate the input and may use that as alternative option. Like I said in my first post I almost want to put the sump in so I can be one of "the cool kids". lol
The hardest part of the whole system was getting the quick connect fitting that just sticks onto the factory pump. I ran 3/8 line instead of 1/2 cause I'm not feeding larger injectors and the factory is a 3/8 line.

I used a 3/8 barb off the sump to 3/8 line. Then to a -6 an barb fitting with female end that screwed onto the -6an Male to 3/8 quick connect.

04 f250 4x4
just some things here and there

Colin
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Was this a kit you found or one you made yourself? I looked around on XDP's site for sump kits and it looked like they were going for close to $400 or so.

I'm also assuming I would need to essentially take a hole saw to the bottom of the tank to get the hole for sump? I don't wrench much but it does appear to be something that should be in my skill level. Anything that tricked ya or you would do different I'm all ears man.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnw15 View Post
Was this a kit you found or one you made yourself? I looked around on XDP's site for sump kits and it looked like they were going for close to $400 or so.

I'm also assuming I would need to essentially take a hole saw to the bottom of the tank to get the hole for sump? I don't wrench much but it does appear to be something that should be in my skill level. Anything that tricked ya or you would do different I'm all ears man.
I pieced mine together myself. The sump is a beans diesel style no drop mini sump.

The hose is fuel rated 3/8 hose. Then the 3 fittings I mentioned.

And yes I removed my skid plate. And then drilled a pilot hole with the center bit of the hole saw. Let the last 1/4 of fuel drain out and then finished the hole. Then cleaned the debris from the cut and just installed. I reccomend a screw driver thru the drain port of the sump to keep everything lined up correctly.

04 f250 4x4
just some things here and there

Colin
post #8 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Cool that sounds better than buying a $400 kit to get the same if not possibly worse outcome with wrong fittings anyways. Thanks much Colin
Kryptic_361 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode