Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0L Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   Fuel Sump Questions (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/1361607-fuel-sump-questions.html)

kbnw15 04-09-2019 10:55 AM

Fuel Sump Questions

I do apologize if all these questions are covered somewhere I was having trouble sifting through all the info to find answers to my liking.

First off I have some of the normal mods on the truck done. I have 4" turbo back exhaust, AFE Cold air intake, KC stage 2 turbo, and SCT with TSD tunes. The truck is studded. I am currently running stock fuel system and basically plan on leaving it that way minus installing a sump.

I've been getting some weird performance lately out of the truck (roughly the past month or two). I have run it out of fuel twice on accident is that amount of time. The weird part of this was that the low fuel indicator never came on and the guage was low but not bottomed out. Since the first time I ran out I have tried to avoid going below a quarter of a tank for fear of running out and doing harm to the injectors. I am at a loss as to why the low fuel light has quit coming on and why I have been having these low tank issues.
Just brainstorming I got to think, "Well hey dummy if the fuel is running to a sump in the bottom of the tank then that should be better than sucking through a straw from the top." Am I onto something or is that just wishful thinking and me wanting to add a new part to my truck to look cool? lol

Also if a sump would help with that issue is ok to do with the stock pump and otherwise completely stock fuel system?

Thanks for anyone who reads through that rambling and extra thanks to anyone who chimes in.

ChrisSki 04-09-2019 01:27 PM

The pick up tube in the truck is a known failure point. By swapping that out should, fix your problem. Can't comment on the sump part. I do think changing the pick up tube would be way cheaper than creating a mod with a sump pump. Very rarely can I create something for cheaper than I can but it, mostly because of tooling up costs.

Kryptic_361 04-09-2019 06:01 PM

i just installed a no drop sump on my truck. total cost was under $100 total and thats buying the fittings, hose and the sump itself and took less than an hour to install. my pick up tube end fell off and decided instead of dealing with it i just would rather have a sump.

kbnw15 04-10-2019 11:26 AM

That's what I was thinking Colin7.3. I just wasn't sure if the sump setup would work without changing to an Airdog or Fass fuel pump since most people I hear of that have sumps are using it to feed bigger injectors.

I had also heard about that pickup tube falling off or just being junk also Chris. I appreciate the input and may use that as alternative option. Like I said in my first post I almost want to put the sump in so I can be one of "the cool kids". lol

Kryptic_361 04-10-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbnw15 (Post 16270025)
That's what I was thinking Colin7.3. I just wasn't sure if the sump setup would work without changing to an Airdog or Fass fuel pump since most people I hear of that have sumps are using it to feed bigger injectors.

I had also heard about that pickup tube falling off or just being junk also Chris. I appreciate the input and may use that as alternative option. Like I said in my first post I almost want to put the sump in so I can be one of "the cool kids". lol

The hardest part of the whole system was getting the quick connect fitting that just sticks onto the factory pump. I ran 3/8 line instead of 1/2 cause I'm not feeding larger injectors and the factory is a 3/8 line.

I used a 3/8 barb off the sump to 3/8 line. Then to a -6 an barb fitting with female end that screwed onto the -6an Male to 3/8 quick connect. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...add97bff2f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5a36ced0c0.jpg

04 f250 4x4
just some things here and there

kbnw15 04-10-2019 01:57 PM

Was this a kit you found or one you made yourself? I looked around on XDP's site for sump kits and it looked like they were going for close to $400 or so.

I'm also assuming I would need to essentially take a hole saw to the bottom of the tank to get the hole for sump? I don't wrench much but it does appear to be something that should be in my skill level. Anything that tricked ya or you would do different I'm all ears man.

Kryptic_361 04-10-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbnw15 (Post 16270103)
Was this a kit you found or one you made yourself? I looked around on XDP's site for sump kits and it looked like they were going for close to $400 or so.

I'm also assuming I would need to essentially take a hole saw to the bottom of the tank to get the hole for sump? I don't wrench much but it does appear to be something that should be in my skill level. Anything that tricked ya or you would do different I'm all ears man.

I pieced mine together myself. The sump is a beans diesel style no drop mini sump.

The hose is fuel rated 3/8 hose. Then the 3 fittings I mentioned.

And yes I removed my skid plate. And then drilled a pilot hole with the center bit of the hole saw. Let the last 1/4 of fuel drain out and then finished the hole. Then cleaned the debris from the cut and just installed. I reccomend a screw driver thru the drain port of the sump to keep everything lined up correctly.

04 f250 4x4
just some things here and there

kbnw15 04-11-2019 10:47 AM

Cool that sounds better than buying a $400 kit to get the same if not possibly worse outcome with wrong fittings anyways. Thanks much Colin