7.3 fan clutch conversion, who has em and how do you like it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 11-19-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 fan clutch conversion, who has em and how do you like it?

Hey guys. I replaced my fan clutch on my 05 f350 6.0 less than a year ago and im now getting a soft po528 code. Im kind of over the electric clutch and i have been doing some reading about the 7.3 fan clutch conversion. I do tow quite a bit, and its my understanding that it helps keep temps lower when your working the truck hard. I really dont care if it makes more noise as long as the truck runs happy.

What are ur guys thoughts on the conversion? What do you like, what dont you like?

Also, i seem to remember that someone made a kit that had a module that plugged into the stock connector to keep the check engine light off when the stock clutch was eliminated but i dont remember where i saw it.

I appreciate any info yall can offer.

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 AM
BTL
Premium Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
First, I do not have one installed. I was told with the fan constantly on it noisy and can not help fuel mileage. My mechanic has wired a switch to his electric clutch that engages the fan on demand. I am going that direction.
BTL

2003 Lariat 4x4 CCSB 6.0
Highland Green-Arizona Beige
272,500mi
KC Stage 2 Turbo, KDD heads,
ARP Head studs,
175-30 injectors, Adrenalin HPOP
MBRP 4 SS Turbo back
BPD HD remote air to oil cooler
BPD water pump and EGR Cooler
Hayden mechanical fan clutch
Amsoil 2 micron bypass filter
Mishimoto Radiator, HT thermostat and hoses
Mean Green 220amp alternator
Accurate Diesel adj. FP regulator cover
Fass Titanium 125 with 5/8 draw tube
post #3 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
First, I do not have one installed. I was told with the fan constantly on it noisy and can not help fuel mileage. My mechanic has wired a switch to his electric clutch that engages the fan on demand. I am going that direction.
BTL
Hahaha...IPR just said this same crap in another thread on here!!

1. That's not how a fan clutch works...its not ever constantly on.

2. Wiring the switch in achieves the same exact function as a fully activated clutch, so your fuel mileage concern is moot. Not to mention that will also require YOU to monitor temps and decide when the truck needs cooling.

3. The minimal drop in fuel mileage all while keeping the tuck cool and comfortable is a less than a wash for me. I (and most diesel owners) didn't buy these 8-9k pound trucks for fuel mileage. We bough them to tow and work.

To the OP. We have installed 6 of these kits this summer alone on 6.0's MOST were on stock 6.0's not ones with BPD products on them. ALL of the owners have said the same thing. They couldn't believe they didn't do this mod earlier. The AC is colder, the Coolant temps stay normal as well as oil. The truck just runs and cools its self like its supposed to. Also unplugging the fan will net a soft code but no light. It will throw a fan circuit code, but the CEL is not illuminated. No real need for a plug in to make the computer think the fan is still there.
SparkyF250 and partyman97_3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thank you. I could care less about a mpg drop as long as the engines happy. Im running a stock ford oil cooler, but im running a mishimoto alum radiator, oil cooler delta kit, and bpd alum water pump. Im really curious to see how the mechanical setup would work. The elec fan kit looks super nice but im kinda of the old school thinking in that as long as your alternator, ps and water pump are spinning you know that the fan is too.
post #5 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 AM
I win....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
@toren302 Do you notice faster warm ups with these setups? I notice my fan spins almost all the time. And when its cold out, with the BPD HD cooler, my oil takes a while to heat up. Would be nice to stop the fan at idle and allow some heat soak to build up.

S362 68/.91
Irate SS T4
Holders 175/30
BPD FICM
BPD Cooler
BPD WP & Fan Adapter
ARP
Yukon Locker
4.30's
Derale Trans Pan
ODP St3 Manifold
NL CAI
Rudy's Intake elbow
PSP Coolant Tank
Mishimoto Rad. & IC pipes
EGR Del.
Edge CTS2
SCT X3
FICM Tune
Jugger Pump w/DIY RR
Fuel PSI Gauge
35x18's
Bilstein 2.5"
DIY 3 Link Arms
Trac. Bars
DC Power
Powerstops

USCG 50GT MMC
Yamaha Outboard Master Tech
post #6 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not really, as usually the AC is on and the heat from the condenser will kinda activate the clutch as will the coolant. Basically you would need the cold weather kit for the BPD cooler.
post #7 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP, to echo what Toren said, this mod is amazing. Last year, pulling 16k+ 5'ver, I was hitting 215+ Oil/230+ Coolant temps while sending my Coolant Pressure sky high pulling the paltry hills of Western MD. This spring, I removed added the BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch and replaced my Mishimoto Radiator with a Performance Radiator (Same one BPD sells and rebrands. They're just closer to me, so I bought direct). Now I barely hit 210 Oil/200 Coolant before I hear the fan kick in and it cools the engine back down. My Coolant Pressure barely hits 12psi. It's been an amazing difference. Obviously, it could be a number of different reasons, but I'm actually seeing better mileage (.5-1 mpg) running empty, and about the same towing. The fan can be loud, but I don't find it to be annoying or constantly running.

The switch for the 6.0 OEM electric fan might have been able to give me the same result, but I have no regrets about making this change.
toren302 likes this.

2006 F350 King Ranch CCLB 4x4 DRW Tow Boss
ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads, BPD EGR Cooler,BPD Water Pump, BPD Fan Cluch Mod, Performance Aluminum Radiator, MBRP 4" Straight Exhaust, Blue Spring, Coolant Filter, SCT X4, PHP Tunes, Edge Insight CTS2 for Gauges
post #8 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
I love mine and noise is minimal with no loss of mileage. I just pulled my 5er last month for about 2000 miles from KC to Tennessee and temps were perfect. I weighed over 23,000 pulling long grades would recommend it to anyone who tows heavy.
toren302 likes this.

03 250 ccsb blue spring, UCF ported and polished heads, Odawg SR3, ficm tuner, SCT x4 with custom tunes, 4" turbo back to 6" tip, Magtec diff covers, Amsoil fluids, ARP 625's, Airlift bags, Kc stage 1, Dieselsite hpop, Vision Hauler 19.5's, No Limit intake, full on board air with 8.5 gallon tank, train horns, Sinister degas, DieselSite water pump, Big Wig rear sway bar, 7.3 clutch fan, BPD adapter
post #9 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Sweet, thank you guys for posting your results. Truth be told i like hearing the fan because for me, the noise lets me know that its working like its supossed to. If it was quiet i would worry.
post #10 of 38 Old 11-20-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Heck i can barely hear anything over the sound of the straight piped exhaust when im towing up a grade and im lettin her eat lol.
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode