"Delta Line" Kit. Good? Bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Delta Line" Kit. Good? Bad?

In looking through the forum(s) I see a lot of references to a "Delta Line" or "Delta Hose" mod. As I understand it, it basically reroutes coolant path coming out of the oil cooler to bypass the manifold and return straight to the degas bottle...thereby increasing the volume of coolant passing through the oil cooler via the less restrictive path....okay. My question is why does there seem to be no discussion about this mod since 2014? I'm sure there are references here and there, but for a mod that would supposedly lower your deltas by several degrees with a simple hose and a couple of fittings there is a surprising lack of current discussion. What are the current feelings about this mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nobody? :-( Why does this "mod" get so little interest?

This custom signature gets me past 83%. ;-)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
My understanding is this: Basically the "Delta" temps everyone refers to is only a means of measuring oil cooler health. Therefore lowering coolant temps by any other means does only that. It doesn't change the health of the oil cooler.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The discussions that I've seen indicate that the "bypass" aspect of the kit increases the throughput of coolant inside the oil cooler, thereby increasing oil cooler effectiveness, and decreasing the "delta". Most discussions mention lowering their delta by several degrees. I'm sure that if you had a badly clogged cooler that this would be less effective. Hell...may not be effective at all anyway...maybe that's why the discussions died. Seems plausible though.

Unable to post links...but one company selling is absoulteperformance.

Certainly not much there for $175! There are obviously DIY alternatives.

post #5 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
As I look at it, a manifold is added to the oil cooler like in the IPR filter and the kit sends some coolant back to the Degas bottle instead of just going to the EGR. This would increase flow through the cooler and cool the oil cooler down.

AP 6.0 Delta kit

The way I look at the kit can't be right. If this is the case, than it's letting a portion of the coolant bound for the EGR flow into the Degas bottle, and that can't be good for the EGR.

I have come across references to this kit, but by the time I joined the forum in late 2014, I never read a post on it.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
As I look at it, a manifold is added to the oil cooler like in the IPR filter and the kit sends some coolant back to the Degas bottle instead of just going to the EGR. This would increase flow through the cooler and cool the oil cooler down.

The way I look at the kit can't be right. If this is the case, than it's letting a portion of the coolant bound for the EGR flow into the Degas bottle, and that can't be good for the EGR.

I have come across references to this kit, but by the time I joined the forum in late 2014, I never read a post on it.

What if you had EGR deleted?

post #7 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,773 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
I remember looking in to this
but dismissed it as something I could use with my setup

I will have to look at it again to refresh my memory

6.0 flush pdf
post #8 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I remember looking in to this
but dismissed it as something I could use with my setup

I will have to look at it again to refresh my memory
It looked like it was getting some pretty good press a few years ago and then the discussion died.

post #9 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,072 Times in 1,001 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It would only be useful on a deleted truck, IMO. But even then aren't you just masking a possible problem, not fixing it? If you're deltas are exceeding the recommendation and you are able to bring them down with this, you still have a clogging cooler. Like @kcoyner said, it's not the oil temperature your really worried about. The test is designed to determine the health of the cooler itself and the great minds at Ford decided that 15 was the point that you were risking reduced flow to the EGR cooler and possible structural damage to it due to that. At least that's my simplified understanding of it.
ZMANN, kcoyner and jokester00 like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #10 of 20 Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
It would only be useful on a deleted truck, IMO. But even then aren't you just masking a possible problem, not fixing it? If you're deltas are exceeding the recommendation and you are able to bring them down with this, you still have a clogging cooler. Like @kcoyner said, it's not the COOLANT temperature your really worried about. The test is designed to determine the health of the cooler itself and the great minds at Ford decided that 15 was the point that you were risking reduced flow to the EGR cooler and possible structural damage to it due to that. At least that's my simplified understanding of it.
Fixed it for ya

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
delta hose , delta line , delta mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode