Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0L Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   PHP tunes, towing with a 6.0? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/1156322-php-tunes-towing-6-0-a.html)

Gaius 08-14-2016 12:08 PM

PHP tunes, towing with a 6.0?

On my 7.3 my favorite tunes were the PHP tunes. The smoothest power application, least smoke, and all of the tunes drove the same, just with different top end power levels. WHiler towing a pass or big hill, I could just dial back the tune to suit the hill so I didn;t have to drive by EGT. I could click it down to Daily or Tow, and hold it floored, and EGTs wouldn't get past 1200. I would always forget and be hitting 1300+ if I forgot to dial the tune back.

With my 6.0 now (stock except cat delete), I'm going to try PHP again. However, without being able to change tunes on the fly, I'm just going to have the PCM flashed.

For those running PHP tunes, what tunes have you found that are right at max EGT while pulling full throttle? I dont need race or anything, just a nice daily tune that doesn't put so much fuel down.

I'm thinking 20hp to be safe, but maybe 40hp tune. Any experiences? Thanks!

junior125 08-14-2016 12:12 PM

how much weight are you going to be pulling?

Gaius 08-14-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior125 (Post 13967146)
how much weight are you going to be pulling?

With the camper and Jeep on a trailer, I weigh almost 19k combined.

junior125 08-14-2016 12:24 PM

you could probably get away with 40hp but to be safe I would do 20hp

@Chatham036 that a reasonable recommendation?

ZMANN 08-14-2016 12:27 PM

that's a lot of weight for added fuel if your hitting hills

any tow tune I have can spike EGT's on hills so I have to back off. stock i am fine but lack the tune benefits like jake brake and egr off ETC

i am about ready to order from PHP
i was going to get a heavy Tow and medium tow plus a street tune

Gaius 08-14-2016 12:32 PM

Does the mild tunes wake up the 6.0 like the 7.3? Even the mildest tunes wake up the pedal response on the 7.3, but I know the 6.0 is already 325 HP and has pretty great response already in comparison.

ZMANN, interesting you can hit high EGTs with tow tunes. On my old truck, PHP, TW, DP, and Powerstruck's tow tunes never broke 1200. The 6.0 must be more "on the edge" of power from the factory, huh?

ZMANN 08-14-2016 12:38 PM

you may want to look into PHP FICM tunes http://store.gopowerhungry.com/en/pe...rogrammer.html

then you can pick a safe Tow tune and adjust the FICM tune HP

this also has the benefit of not clearing the adaptive tables in the tranny like switching a PCM tune does

Gaius 08-14-2016 12:55 PM

I was talking to them about the FICM tuning. I was planning on trying that later. I hear the 40 is a good FOCM tune, but I also hear that any of the FICM tunes tend to run higher EGTs. Be nice to have the 80 for daily driving though.

Does the "Econ" FICM tune run similar to stock? How long does it take to change FICM tunes?

ZMANN 08-14-2016 01:01 PM

the good thing is FICM tunes takes less than 4 minutes ( if i had to guess )

and the fuel MPG increase will pay for itself in my case (if i paid for fuel )

Gadgetguru 08-14-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaius (Post 13967162)
With the camper and Jeep on a trailer, I weigh almost 19k combined.

19k total including the truck I'm assuming? Really not that heavy considering my loaded 5er is 14 - 15k and the truck is 8500+ pounds. There are guys pulling much more than that. I use PHPs 65 tow tune with my setup and EGTs max in the 1100's.

But you are stock so...

Nexus 6P with Android N via Tapatalk