PHP tunes, towing with a 6.0? - Page 6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

281Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I need a sale on tunes!! I want to couple of more tunes from php do go with the ficm programer I just bought. 25hp towing tune for the new 5th wheel I just bought and 100hp daily driver should do the trick!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
PHP 65 tow tune + KC Turbos Stage 2 = amazing combo!

14 - 15k pound 5er toy hauler with truck at 8500 lbs. and a bunch of other crap in the tool box. Highway, WV mountains, windy twisty back roads, 90+ degree temps.

I was extremely pleased at how well she pulled. The PHP 65 tow tune with exhaust brake was perfect. ECT, EOT, and EGTs all stayed in check. Never had to back out of the throttle. Tons of towing power.

I posted this in another thread about going to a Stage 2 turbo and towing while using PHP tuning:

"There is a bit of a trade off of course. I would imagine with a Stage 1.5 you'll get quicker spool and won't have to keep the rpm's up as much. From my recent trip to West Virginia with our toy hauler, I loved the Stage 2 but you do have to keep the rpm's up. Some of those mountains down there (8% or better) I had her screaming at 3600 rpm but she kept pulling/accelerating. Highest EGTs I saw were in the 1100's.

From a stop, it takes her a couple seconds to get moving, rolls some coal, but once I hit 10# of boost, she gone! I turned on to a highway on ramp and was doing 65 mph before the end of the ramp. I had a smile a mile wide.

On the highway at 60 - 65 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and she'll have to unlock the TC/come out of OD/ or downshift and I'll be at 2800 - 3200 rpm. Doing 70 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and the boost comes up and she just pulls. Seems 20 psi was the sweet spot. If I could hit 20 without coming out of OD I was good (it would then climb to 28 - 30 psi boost). If I couldn't hit 20 psi, then she would have to come out of OD.

I had some newer trucks (6.7 Super Duties and Cummins) pulling 5ers and trailers that would pass me. Kind of got the whole ego/competition thing going, like their truck was better then mine. But I'm good with 70 mph max pulling that much (give or take a few mph here and there) and just kept doing my thing. But with all the mountains on I77 and I81 in Virginia, guess who I would end up catching up to and passing on the mountains?

My thoughts would be, if you are towing heavy often, go with a Stage 1.5. Occasional towing, and want the Stage 2 power when not towing, Stage 2.

* Fifth wheel toy hauler probably at ~14k +, KC Stage 2, 175/stock, PHP 65 tow, 4.10 gears, A/C on, outside air temp 90+ degrees."

- Michael
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- If being an NCO was easy, we'd be called Officers.

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

Traded 01SEP18 '11 Ram 2500 Big Horn (Wife's), 6.7L Cummins - Click
for details
'13 XLR Hyperlite Toy Hauler 5er

Ford diesel documents

post #53 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 AM
Motor Head.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguru View Post
PHP 65 tow tune + KC Turbos Stage 2 = amazing combo!

14 - 15k pound 5er toy hauler with truck at 8500 lbs. and a bunch of other crap in the tool box. Highway, WV mountains, windy twisty back roads, 90+ degree temps.

I was extremely pleased at how well she pulled. The PHP 65 tow tune with exhaust brake was perfect. ECT, EOT, and EGTs all stayed in check. Never had to back out of the throttle. Tons of towing power.

I posted this in another thread about going to a Stage 2 turbo and towing while using PHP tuning:

"There is a bit of a trade off of course. I would imagine with a Stage 1.5 you'll get quicker spool and won't have to keep the rpm's up as much. From my recent trip to West Virginia with our toy hauler, I loved the Stage 2 but you do have to keep the rpm's up. Some of those mountains down there (8% or better) I had her screaming at 3600 rpm but she kept pulling/accelerating. Highest EGTs I saw were in the 1100's.

From a stop, it takes her a couple seconds to get moving, rolls some coal, but once I hit 10# of boost, she gone! I turned on to a highway on ramp and was doing 65 mph before the end of the ramp. I had a smile a mile wide.

On the highway at 60 - 65 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and she'll have to unlock the TC/come out of OD/ or downshift and I'll be at 2800 - 3200 rpm. Doing 70 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and the boost comes up and she just pulls. Seems 20 psi was the sweet spot. If I could hit 20 without coming out of OD I was good (it would then climb to 28 - 30 psi boost). If I couldn't hit 20 psi, then she would have to come out of OD.

I had some newer trucks (6.7 Super Duties and Cummins) pulling 5ers and trailers that would pass me. Kind of got the whole ego/competition thing going, like their truck was better then mine. But I'm good with 70 mph max pulling that much (give or take a few mph here and there) and just kept doing my thing. But with all the mountains on I77 and I81 in Virginia, guess who I would end up catching up to and passing on the mountains?

My thoughts would be, if you are towing heavy often, go with a Stage 1.5. Occasional towing, and want the Stage 2 power when not towing, Stage 2.

* Fifth wheel toy hauler probably at ~14k +, KC Stage 2, 175/stock, PHP 65 tow, 4.10 gears, A/C on, outside air temp 90+ degrees."
Nice!! Did you go with the php65 tow tune right off the get go?

04 350 DRW CC LB,4:10,245/75/17,tires 4X4..Coolant filter. CTS.Stage II AFE.EGR Delete,Zoodad ,regulated return, ,Arp,OemHG,AD150,WPE ported int,58FICM,190/30 Injec,05 coil conversion.KC 2R turbo,2011 rear leafs,13 tailgate,flight fab trac bars. Power/folding/Extend mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 AM

The KC1.5 has been a good turbo for me but I need to get OD turned off in tow/haul. I think that would be the ticket for a sweet tow tune with larger turbo. I cruise at 900 to 1100 when in OD towing in the hot summers here in Northern California.
How do you like the exhaust braking? Is hard on the turbo?
post #55 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 06:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
Nice!! Did you go with the php65 tow tune right off the get go?
Before the Stage 2 I used the canned SCT tow tunes, but only towed a few times. But yes, first time towing with the Stage 2 I went right for the PHP 65 after discussing it with Jay.

Nexus 6P with Android N via Tapatalk
Chatham036 likes this.

- Michael

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

for details

Ford diesel documents

post #56 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowens677 View Post
The KC1.5 has been a good turbo for me but I need to get OD turned off in tow/haul. I think that would be the ticket for a sweet tow tune with larger turbo. I cruise at 900 to 1100 when in OD towing in the hot summers here in Northern California.
I used the exhaust brake with the canned SCT tow tunes and I think it was more aggressive. The exhaust brake on the PHP 65 works very well without being overly aggressive and harsh IMO. It did the job on the steep mountains. That's the thing with PHP tunes, I trust Bill and Jay, that their tunes work very well and are safe.

Chatham036 and Fishwater2002* like this.

- Michael

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
for details

for details

for details

Ford diesel documents

post #57 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Motor Head.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguru View Post
Before the Stage 2 I used the canned SCT tow tunes, but only towed a few times. But yes, first time towing with the Stage 2 I went right for the PHP 65 after discussing it with Jay.

I think my tow tune is 25 Hp,but looks like I could get away with a 65 hp tow tune,as we are right at the same towing weight.
Chatham036 likes this.

04 350 DRW CC LB,4:10,245/75/17,tires 4X4..Coolant filter. CTS.Stage II AFE.EGR Delete,Zoodad ,regulated return, ,Arp,OemHG,AD150,WPE ported int,58FICM,190/30 Injec,05 coil conversion.KC 2R turbo,2011 rear leafs,13 tailgate,flight fab trac bars. Power/folding/Extend mirrors.
post #58 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been wondering about the exhaust brake option with tow tunes. I'm towing under 10k & right now without any tunes it seems ok as far as braking is concerned, definitely a little low on power though. I planned on going with PHP but need to discuss it a little further to see if 65 hp is where I need to be with stock injectors & turbo, also whether I do the tow tune first then add the FICM tune after.
post #59 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Quote:

How heavy are you towing? There is nothing wrong with towing at 900-1100 degrees.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

Current Setup 190/30 and KC 64mm Stage 2 turbo
post #60 of 246 Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
Quote:

How heavy are you towing? There is nothing wrong with towing at 900-1100 degrees.
That is with about 7000-8000 but with the new 5th wheel I will be towing around 10000. Ya I am not worried about those temps but I just don't want it to get any higher for cruising temp. What do you think Charlie would you shutoff OD in tow haul or should I keep it in? Also I know this had been asked a lot lately but with ficm tune Econ or atlas 40? Sound like Econ is the way to go as far as egt management when towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode