PHP tunes, towing with a 6.0? - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

281Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 246 Old 08-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 977 Posts
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I demand another PHP tune sale

please ;-)
Since I bought two from them today, they'll probably have a sale soon. You're welcome in advance.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 246 Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Motor Head.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have not had a chance to try my heavy tow tune from PHP,but will shortly.I also have the ficm tune (economy)for bigger nozzles which seems to have smoothed my truck out.
ASEMechanic likes this.

04 350 DRW CC LB,4:10,245/75/17,tires 4X4..Coolant filter. CTS.Stage II AFE.EGR Delete,Zoodad ,regulated return, ,Arp,OemHG,AD150,WPE ported int,58FICM,190/30 Injec,05 coil conversion.KC 2R turbo,2011 rear leafs,13 tailgate,flight fab trac bars. Power/folding/Extend mirrors.
post #43 of 246 Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
OP, I run php heavy tow tune modified for 155s and the turbo. A tow tune does not wake a 6.0 up like a 7.3, I Remeber the same question and feeling. The 6.0 was already a hot motor so less to gain. Putting the slightest tune on a 7.3 was night and day. Php is by far the expert tuners, followed by DP tuner as for experiance. Then maybe IDP but I've never been impressed by their tunes or resume. The rest are experimental, meaning they just bought software and increased the timing button and Just make adjustments based on customer feedback (motors blown). Total joke enterprise, stick with php. I tow a flatbed with big off road car that combo weighs 19k and I consider that light. My full up camper hauler combo weighs 28k and that's pushing every limit of my truck but I've hauled the combo from AK to DC. I'm to lazy to switch tunes so I always just run the heavy tow. If I wanted to drag race I'd become Asian and buy a civic. But I don't drag race so the heavy tow works great. I tried to stack with atlas 40 and egts got too high. I switched back to Eco fcim tune. Still running great! I will buy an 18 f450 and be done with the 6.0, but that will be another year. I spent a lot of time and money bulletproofing my 6.0 and it has never let me down and always performed way passed the recommended limits. Go php tow tune, I'd be comfortable with 40hp with 19k combined
ZMANN, Chatham036, jmeaby and 1 others like this.

19 F450. Hauls my toys. Dumont regular

Build thread:

Truck pics on IG @ Jetjock15

Iíve owned previous vehicles but I wonít waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you donít care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks jet jock. Is the Heavy Tow a noticeable bump in power at least?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #45 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I demand another PHP tune sale

please ;-)
Since I bought two from them today, they'll probably have a sale soon. You're welcome in advance.
Well, you know.... Labor Day IS right around the corner. I'm sure something can be arranged.
post #46 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 977 Posts
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Garage
LOL, that's just... just...

Oh well, no regrets.
ZMANN likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #47 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 11:17 AM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic View Post
Well, you know.... Labor Day IS right around the corner. I'm sure something can be arranged.
ohh goody a pre labor day sale ;-)

6.0 flush pdf
post #48 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic View Post

[email protected]! I knew I should have waited on that 80hp light tow you just sent me!!

03 F350 SD 6.0 PSD FX4 XLT CC LB SRW FOR SALE!!

To see why you should avoid Sinister Diesel, visit these threads:

post #49 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ok... Crossing my fingers not to start any drama. But a subject has been brought up that I wish was talked about more. I spend HOURS AND HOURS working with people going through tuning/build questions.

First of all. I LOVE FICM TUNING. I am a big fan... but I think it gets used wrong sometimes. I see FICM tuning as a "fine adjustment tool" rather than a big power adder. FICM tunes can and will change the way your SCT tunes work... especially stacking a race tune (with ICP fooled). I know Bill touched on this subject.

The BIGGEST issue I see is when someone has FICM tuning on their stock injectors and then jump up to a larger injectors and can't seem to get smoke/egts under control (and it is usually the turbos fault LOL JK). I love the "LARGER NOZZLE FILES" from PHP. It works wonders and is MANDATORY IMO if you are going to run FICM tuning with larger injectors. Idles better, cleaner bottom end, and the ability to adjust top end PW by just switching FICM tunes.

The other big problem I run into is when someone is already running SCT tunes with good luck, but want just a little more power. They decide to add a FICM to their truck. They usually just get the single tune with no ability to switch (without sending the FICM back or paying for the loaner tuner) Then suddenly they start having EGT issues. Struggle to tow, no extra power on their race tunes, just extra smoke and egts. (and it is usually the turbos fault LOL JK).

So... I see FICM tuning as more of a "fine tune adjustment screw" rather than a "power adder". I always recomend getting the FICM tuner so you have the ability to adjust. Also make sure to get larger nozzle files if you have bigger injectors.

Hope that helps someone.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

Current Setup 190/30 and KC 64mm Stage 2 turbo
post #50 of 246 Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Great topic, subscribed... I've been trying to understand the relationship of FICM tuning to the SCT canned or custom tunes so thanks @peixinho .

I still need to buy a tuner then get some custom tunes especially for towing so let's hope that sale comes back for Labor Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode