Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.0L Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   PHP tunes, towing with a 6.0? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/1156322-php-tunes-towing-6-0-a.html)

Chatham036 08-17-2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelaiman (Post 13979561)
Do the PHP tunes compliment the PHP FICM tunes in any way over any of the other tuners out there?

It varies per tuner. I have heard feedback from customers that Gearhead's PCM tunes can develop drivability issues when paired with FICM tunes.

Other tuners like Innovative, TSD, vivian, wildman, Windrunner, etc. have no issues with the combination.

G8orFord 08-17-2016 06:39 AM

I really wish I'd have gotten the 140x instead of the 100hp Performance when I got my 3 pack. It's a little too tame for me. LOL

Gaius 08-17-2016 07:09 AM

I guess I may be wholly underwhelmed if I just get a PCM flash with a 25 hp tune. Maybe I should skip the FICM tune and just get the SCT.

So 25 tow with camper and trailer
140x unloaded.

What about a third one for just the camper? I weigh 11.5k total with it, same as towing about 3000-4000k lbs. Maybe a 65 hp tune?

Thanks all for the info. Money is tight, and on the last 7.3 I went through 3 chips, and 4 brands of tuners.... :)

G8orFord 08-17-2016 07:28 AM

I towed 6-7k with four adults in the truck and another 5-6 hundred pounds in the back in the hills of North Alabama on the 65hp tow with no real issue. EGTs stayed fine as long as I didn't push it too much on grades in O/D. This was in 100+ degree heat and humidity.

hansel 08-17-2016 08:45 AM

I have a 7.3 and what helps keep the EGT's down is dropping down in gear's

ZMANN 08-17-2016 09:01 AM

Less go pedal helps lower EGT
@Chatham036 what issues have been reported with Gearhead and PHP FICM tunes ?
I have both buy have not loaded them simultaneously

And the real question. When is the next 6.0 tune sale i still want a 4 pack and a side of fries ;-)

6.0vanman 08-17-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatham036 (Post 13982593)
It varies per tuner. I have heard feedback from customers that Gearhead's PCM tunes can develop drivability issues when paired with FICM tunes.

Other tuners like Innovative, TSD, vivian, wildman, Windrunner, etc. have no issues with the combination.

What does that mean? I presume tranny shift points but I'm having some issues with a Gearhead tune so am curious. That, and you probably didn't intend it that way but it comes across as a low blow given that Gearhead has been doing PCM tuning longer that about anybody other than Eric at IDP or possibly PHP? That's my understanding anyway.

I have read that Matt doesn't like FICM tuning all that much and recommends the economy PHP tune if anything and also that he uses the VXCF5 strategy whereas other tuners seem to favor the VXCF9 strategy. Anyhow, the assertion that Gearhead tunes don't pair well with FICM tuning could use some more clarification.

323flint 08-17-2016 05:03 PM

I no when I bought a ficm tuner just made my truck smoky and higher egts, so I just sold it.

junior125 08-17-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.0vanman (Post 13985593)
What does that mean? I presume tranny shift points but I'm having some issues with a Gearhead tune so am curious. That, and you probably didn't intend it that way but it comes across as a low blow given that Gearhead has been doing PCM tuning longer that about anybody other than Eric at IDP or possibly PHP? That's my understanding anyway.

I have read that Matt doesn't like FICM tuning all that much and recommends the economy PHP tune if anything and also that he uses the VXCF5 strategy whereas other tuners seem to favor the VXCF9 strategy. Anyhow, the assertion that Gearhead tunes don't pair well with FICM tuning could use some more clarification.

Pretty confident Matt learned from Bill @php

323flint 08-17-2016 05:21 PM

Does anyone run elite diesel tunes any more, I bought my first tunes from them back in 2008