PHP tunes, towing with a 6.0? - Page 18 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

 281Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 52
Thanked 218 Times in 159 Posts
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0vanman View Post
My base strategy I downloaded with the SCT was VXCF9A4. The initial tune from Gearhead had really screwy shifting but on the revision he did a rollback VXCF4. I also increased the rev limiter to 4500. It's 90% better but it still holds the rpms too long and the torque converter locks are jolting. I'm not exactly sure if it's a different strategy code or whatever but I believe Gearhead used UGB1. I have no idea if that included a rollback to an older strategy but the IDP tunes are labeled UGB4. It appears PHP favors VXCF4H2. I hope I'm not giving away the special sauce but figure if Bill taught all these guys how to tune the 6.0 it must be ok?

We are talking about two different things, no? A strategy (ie., that controls the PCM like VXCF4) and then the type of coding used to write that strategy (ie., UGB4)?

I liked the TSD tune which was the SPD with fuel pulled. It spooled the turbo fast with more power down low but was supposed to have the top end fuel pulled so it would make only slightly more "top end" power over stock. I didn't run it for long since I happen to like cruise control and having a speedo. My main concern with any of these tunes, especially the higher power ones, is the vans have a smaller intercooler. I don't want to cook the pistons/valves/turbo by pushing the HP too high in order to spool up the turbo. They are great on the street where you can ease into it and wait for the turbo to light to avoid the smoke but off road in 4x4 on a grade from a full stop, or say digging out from deep sand, it looks like a Chinese coal burning plant out back.

I don't mind experimenting. That's half the fun.
It is a very deep hole if we get into the conversation of strategies, which does what, which strategies are updates of one another, etc.

I can tell you that VXCF9A4 is out of an 05 E series. On the PCM itself, you will see a sticker. The PCM code on that sticker is going to be UGB4.
UGB4 is your can be viewed as a label to let your tuner know what hardware is inside of the computer.
The VXCF9A4 is your base strategy or base calibration to be modified from.

Looking into your file, I did send you a VXCF4H2 strategy. Which is actually the reason your body control module isnt responding. Your computer thinks you are running an F series pickup

We do prefer to use the VXCF4 series as the rollback because it will utilize the exhaust back pressure reading to more accurately control the VGT. VXCF7 and VXCF9 formats will actually cause the truck to run off a "inferred EBP" reading. Basically meaning the truck calculates the EBP based off several attributes.

VXCF4 runs better, in our opinion, on VGT turbos.
If you ever switch to a nonVGT, I prefer a VXCF7 strategy.

Long story made short,
I screwed the pooch and wrote your tunes to the wrong calibration.
I will rewrite your files over to a VXCF4A2. This will enable the EBP sensor to manipulate the VGT while allowing function to the body modules.

I will be sure to send over some goodies for your trouble dealing with this!
michaelaiman and SparkyF250 like this.
Chatham036 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chatham036 For This Useful Post:
6.0vanman (09-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #172 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
jmeaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,000
Thanks: 4
Thanked 52 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard to beat php customer service. Can't wait to order some tunes for the truck once it is studded
michaelaiman and SparkyF250 like this.
jmeaby is offline  
post #173 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 340
Thanks: 50
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
It is a very deep hole if we get into the conversation of strategies, which does what, which strategies are updates of one another, etc.

I can tell you that VXCF9A4 is out of an 05 E series. On the PCM itself, you will see a sticker. The PCM code on that sticker is going to be UGB4.
UGB4 is your can be viewed as a label to let your tuner know what hardware is inside of the computer.
The VXCF9A4 is your base strategy or base calibration to be modified from.

Looking into your file, I did send you a VXCF4H2 strategy. Which is actually the reason your body control module isnt responding. Your computer thinks you are running an F series pickup

We do prefer to use the VXCF4 series as the rollback because it will utilize the exhaust back pressure reading to more accurately control the VGT. VXCF7 and VXCF9 formats will actually cause the truck to run off a "inferred EBP" reading. Basically meaning the truck calculates the EBP based off several attributes.

VXCF4 runs better, in our opinion, on VGT turbos.
If you ever switch to a nonVGT, I prefer a VXCF7 strategy.

Long story made short,
I screwed the pooch and wrote your tunes to the wrong calibration.
I will rewrite your files over to a VXCF4A2. This will enable the EBP sensor to manipulate the VGT while allowing function to the body modules.

I will be sure to send over some goodies for your trouble dealing with this!
Thanks Jay!

I'm curious how the back pressure is affected when you remove the cat? And I've always been curious wrt to the vans and the 90 less HP that Ford detuned them to. Does the 80HP increase DD tune that I have mean over a stock truck (ie., 325) or the lower HP of 235 that the vans?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
05 E350 4x4 6.0 99k: DC Power XP250A, Dieselsite coolant filter, ELC coolant, IPR GEN2 EGR delete, KCturbo Stage 1.5, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/OEM oil cooler, cat delete, high-flow muffler, SCT Tuner with IDP Xstreet tune, PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune, Blue Spring, billet fuel filter cap, BPD water pump, Scanguage II, AutoMeter fuel pressure and pyro gages, Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW transmission cooler
6.0vanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #174 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 52
Thanked 218 Times in 159 Posts
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0vanman View Post
Thanks Jay!

I'm curious how the back pressure is affected when you remove the cat? And I've always been curious wrt to the vans and the 90 less HP that Ford detuned them to. Does the 80HP increase DD tune that I have mean over a stock truck (ie., 325) or the lower HP of 235 that the vans?
The back pressure is measured in the exhaust manifold before the turbo. With the turbo being the main restriction, removing the cat doesnt have much effect on the EBP. It does serve a purpose in allowing the exhaust gas to escape quicker and help retain less heat.

The fuel curves on your 80 dd tune were mapped out based off a 8,000 lb F series truck. I am making the inference here, but I would believe you should be in the 380 - 400 rwhp range with our 80 dd tune.
Chatham036 is offline  
post #175 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 340
Thanks: 50
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
The back pressure is measured in the exhaust manifold before the turbo. With the turbo being the main restriction, removing the cat doesnt have much effect on the EBP. It does serve a purpose in allowing the exhaust gas to escape quicker and help retain less heat.

The fuel curves on your 80 dd tune were mapped out based off a 8,000 lb F series truck. I am making the inference here, but I would believe you should be in the 380 - 400 rwhp range with our 80 dd tune.
Cool, thanks for the info. I have headstuds and all the heat mods in place so not too worried about the reasons why Ford detuned the vans. Not sure how the small intercooler plays into that but the extra HP is definitely nice to get the thing moving. My rig is 10,000lb loaded for bear on 35" tires.
michaelaiman likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
05 E350 4x4 6.0 99k: DC Power XP250A, Dieselsite coolant filter, ELC coolant, IPR GEN2 EGR delete, KCturbo Stage 1.5, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/OEM oil cooler, cat delete, high-flow muffler, SCT Tuner with IDP Xstreet tune, PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune, Blue Spring, billet fuel filter cap, BPD water pump, Scanguage II, AutoMeter fuel pressure and pyro gages, Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW transmission cooler
6.0vanman is offline  
post #176 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

 
ZMANN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 28,255
Thanks: 2,171
Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You ever think of sticking a truck pcm in her ?
michaelaiman likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZMANN is offline  
post #177 of 246 Old 09-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 340
Thanks: 50
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
You ever think of sticking a truck pcm in her ?
No, Cummins maybe.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
05 E350 4x4 6.0 99k: DC Power XP250A, Dieselsite coolant filter, ELC coolant, IPR GEN2 EGR delete, KCturbo Stage 1.5, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/OEM oil cooler, cat delete, high-flow muffler, SCT Tuner with IDP Xstreet tune, PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune, Blue Spring, billet fuel filter cap, BPD water pump, Scanguage II, AutoMeter fuel pressure and pyro gages, Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW transmission cooler
6.0vanman is offline  
post #178 of 246 Old 10-05-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Gaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santiam, OR
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 28
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So Jay called me and talked me into some different Tunes. A 40 Heavy Tow, a 100 Daily for just the camper, and a 200 Performance for daily driving. The 200 tune is just nuts coming from a 7.3 I'm not used to this much power haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Chatham036 and junior125 like this.

Last edited by Gaius; 10-05-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Gaius is offline  
post #179 of 246 Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 340
Thanks: 50
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
Long story made short, I screwed the pooch and wrote your tunes to the wrong calibration. I will rewrite your files over to a VXCF4A2. This will enable the EBP sensor to manipulate the VGT while allowing function to the body modules.

I will be sure to send over some goodies for your trouble dealing with this!
My body module is just dying to try a re-written tune....if I've somehow missed an email with an attached revision let me know. Thanks!
Chatham036 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
05 E350 4x4 6.0 99k: DC Power XP250A, Dieselsite coolant filter, ELC coolant, IPR GEN2 EGR delete, KCturbo Stage 1.5, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/OEM oil cooler, cat delete, high-flow muffler, SCT Tuner with IDP Xstreet tune, PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune, Blue Spring, billet fuel filter cap, BPD water pump, Scanguage II, AutoMeter fuel pressure and pyro gages, Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW transmission cooler
6.0vanman is offline  
post #180 of 246 Old 10-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

 
Heavy_GD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 804Va
Posts: 21,655
Thanks: 4,229
Thanked 2,094 Times in 2,003 Posts
Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you havent heard from him by now I would send an email or call the shop

[email protected]

@Chatham036
Chatham036 likes this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Heavy_GD is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy_GD For This Useful Post:
6.0vanman (10-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome