Dealing with the death wobble! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By atlas_6.0
  • 1 Post By JustinOOO9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dealing with the death wobble!

New to the forum and the Excursion world and looking for some direction. I have owned a few mid 2000 trucks but never the Excursion till now. I recently picked up an 03 with the 7.3L as a project and once getting into it came across an 03 with the 6.0L as well. The 6.0 is being driven as the other is still in the works. The issue I am having is with the overly abundant amount of wobble and play in the steering. What is there I can do to address this if anything short of a full suspension and steering overhaul?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do you have death wobble or worn out steering?

It sounds like we should change your title.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I would have to agree with Heavy_GD: death wobble is at a rate of speed in which the truck has the wheel "wobbling". My 2004 truck with the leaf front end did that a lot. It sounds like you just have a worn out front end, very common problem. I personally have a 99 7.3 with 163xxx that has worked all its life in our business. We have not ONCE replaced a front end component on it...lets just say you can turn the wheel a quarter to half turn and it keeps going straight. Its kinda like being a dirt rally racer, you just keep working that wheel left and right until it goes straight down the trail I mean road
letsmow10 likes this.

2004 F350 6.0 130xxx
2017 F250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas_6.0 View Post
I would have to agree with Heavy_GD, death wobble is at a rate of speed in which the truck has the wheel "wobbling", my 2004 truck with the leaf front end did that a lot. It sounds like you just have a worn out front end, very common problem. I personally have a 99 7.3 with 163xxx that has worked all its life in our business. We have not ONCE replaced a front end component on it...lets just say you can turn the wheel a quarter turn and it keeps going straight. Its kinda like being a dirt rally racer, you just keep working that wheel left and right until it goes straight down the trail I mean road
At 205k I have replaced everything on the front of my Excursion except the steering gear box. Replacing everything else has decreased the amount of play/slop in the steering but it still take some work. A new gearbox will be next.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Im guessing just worn out suspension also. Isn’t death wobble only a factor on coil over suspension. The 03 has leaf springs up front.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Sold—2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

Last edited by cletusjermal; 11-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just to beat a dead horse and from personal experience with excursions.

They are heavier than the superduty pickups. Replace the following and get an alignment. Use quality parts not duralast junk or you/ll hate yourself.

Upper/lower ball joints
track bar bushings (look at upp track bar bracket carefully common to find cracks/cracked bolts
Draglinks, steering end joints
shocks while not a huge game changer help tires wear better and slight improvement in ride
check leaf spring bushings

then get a alignment from a quality shop to make sure everything is lined up correctly. There isn't a point with high mileage trucks to only replace one side of components or just one ball joint etc.

check tire pressure/have tires rotated to put the tires where they need to even out treadwear. Sometimes a tire causes treadpull where a bad/worn out suspension items wears a tire out to pull certain directions until its rotated to the back to get worn out straight again (generally speaking of course)
letsmow10 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I would check out 1aauto for parts. I second the need for replacement parts. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link tie rod at the minimum. I replaced my wheel hubs since it was already out with the ball joints. It is recommend to replace the outer wheel seals for the 4x4. 1aauto sells Timkin which is OEM for ford. I purchased hubs and they came with broken abs sensors, emailed them and they sent two brand new hubs with new sensors and let me keep the old ones. All I requested was the sensors. Prices are hard to beat. Get a decent pair of snap ring pliers also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode