Probably beating a dead horse. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Probably beating a dead horse.

So i have no doubt i have missed the other threads with the same issue i have. I have a 2004 6.0 ps Excursion, 400k on the motor.The motor has stock head bolts and no deletes. Blue spring upgrade, cold air intake and 5 inch turbo back straight pipe.

Some history on maintenance, I have chewed up injectors for last 6 months. i thought that they were just failing due to use. Also a new ficm. 2 ipr valves, and the wiring to match. Well the head gasket has finally gone. Oil is still clean but chewing through alot of coolant. so i figured its time to stop the madness and put a motor in this truck.

i had thought of just doing the top end of this motor and keeping it going, but 400k on it i think is a recipe for disaster down the road.

I wish i was sitting on enough money to go nuts, but yet again i am at the other end of that spectrum as i am a mid 30s dad of 3 trying to go back to college to get my RN in nursing. So money is so tight its not funny.

Plan A, Buy a used 6.0 with low miles and check it over and do deletes. figure cost should be around 4500-6000 after install.

Plan 5, buy a repituable Long block, have deleted and installed, 6000-10000, after install.

Plan C, Buy used core complete motor and do a complete rebuild my self then have professionally installed, figure after all said and done 4500-6000.

Any input from you guys would be great.

No i cant just sell it as it has a loan and lean against it, No i cant buy a new truck due to prior issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
I'd go with plan 5, the reputable long block. I'd expect it to be close to your $10k or higher after install.

Plan A prices of used trucks seems quite low. I may be able to find a truck for parts for that price, but no guarantee the motor would not need major work.

Plan C, if you're mechanically inclined and have tools, then perhaps this will work. Even the $6k price seems low. With it used, if you needed heads, EGR, oil cooler alone, that would be at least $3k, probably more. That's not touching anything inside.

I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but I've found to tool up to where I'm at now was pricey. The insides needed special tools (rear main seal) stands, and lifts making the cost to more than what I would want to do it for if I had all the time to work on it. There's so much while its out of the truck stuff I'd want to do: rear main seal, Bed Pan Seal, oil pan seals, lifters, and probably quite a few others. Many would do something totally different.

These trucks are wicked expensive. If those are your real no more than prices, may be best to park it or sell until the nursing degree is done and all that debt is paid back. To have the heads done by someone else will probably be around $5k and may or may not include an oil cooler and EGR. Five years ago heads gaskets and machining, oil cooler, and EGR cost me about $5k.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i didn't realize my typo but its funny.

i would also like to do plan 5 but funds might not work for that route. I have been dealing with some salvage yards in my area for years as my family's business has sponsored their race cars so i can usually get a fair deal.

i know i can get a used 2003 6.0 motor with 150,000 motor that was test run for about 1500-2500. If i went that route i wanted to bullet proof the motor as well as do a one over on it.

i also found i can get a core motor for about 500-750 that i would have to completely rebuild, i have found a few complete kits for about 2500 plus cost of having heads and block reground. my local ford dealer would swap the motors for about 2,000.

My biggest concern with rebuilding the motor is i do not have the specialized tools but have no doubt i could find them. I have rebuilt gas motors but it many years ago. i know i can do it but i will take me along while.

i guess in a way just rambling to my self trying to mull over what route i should take, any recommendations on suppliers for kits, such as swamps diesel?

I also know that here in northern Wisconsin we have a few good diesel companies such as Pure Diesel Power and Rice Lake Diesel anybody else have any known in the area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-29-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: well the truck left for a local shop, i will keep updating since i have nothing better to do. We have a few different plans but will wait till they get the heads torn off to see how much internal damage there is.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any update on your build? I am interested on which route you took. I have no problems now, but have 235,000 on the clock and you just never know what to expect.

2004 Excursion Limited, 235,000 miles,
Edge CTS (Gauges only), ZooDad, Turbo Timer, DieselSite Coolant Filter,
BulletProof EGR cooler, CCV reroute, Amsoil By-pass Filter, FireStone RideRite Air Springs, ATS X/C-mod springs
FICM from Ed with Atlas 40 tune, No Kitty, FPR Blue Spring, DC XP270 Alternator, 4" Magnaflow Exhaust, FTE Resonator

post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well what an adventure. Without reallyblasting anyone or anything it has been an adventure. So a local shop qouted me $4,000 to drop in a used "good" motor. It supposedly had 100k and was already bullit proofed. After sending the truck off i get a call saying the new motor needs a new head gasket because they do not know what brand was in there.
So for $800 they offered to do a top end rebuild. The day before i am set to pick up the truck they tell me that the unison ring in my turbo blew and they have another 03 turbo on hand for $300. Why not what a steal. So the next day i am set to pick up the truck for now about 6k drive down pick it up drive it home, and boy it runs like never before. It has a hell of a tune in there. Next day go to take my family to town, 45 min drive and we make it all the way to town. Going down main street amd the truck just up amd shuts off. GREAT!!
So i call the shop up tell them they need to fix it. I founf a ride home for my family and they pick up my truck. Get a call few days later and my truck needs a new hpop. Then they cooked a PATS module and the starter. So another $1400.00 and the truck is running again. Drive the truck for a few days and it starts to bog like its runnibg out of fuel, injectors, so i now have the truck with a "good" motor sitting in my yard.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
Wow that is one bad bumpy ride

Someone school me, I didn't think these trucks had a PATS system. ...and how does one "blow" a unison ring? Not trying to be a smart ***, just down to learn how stuff works.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,048 Times in 977 Posts
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Excursions had PATS. I can only assume by "blown", the shop meant the cam hole was worn out. Either that or they're one of "those" shops.

The injectors don't all quit at once. Well, it's possible, but not likely. If you are having injector problems, the first thing to check is the FICM and make sure the voltage is in spec.
Hydro likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
I suppose low fuel pressure could cause the injectors to beat them selves to death.

Thanks @G8orFord ,I missed the Excursion part.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry i should have been more specific on the issues, they blew a 5 dollar pats module on the truck, not sure how but they did. They said the turbo stuck shut and that is what blew the unison ring.
The excursion got the crappy end of the pats system, supposidly so sensitive that trying to add a jump box can blow modules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode