2008 Cluster in 2003 Superduty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Schmidt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 Cluster in 2003 Superduty

Title says it all, 2008 XLT cluster in a lariat dash.Everything was hot glued, I used 3mm LEDs which required 3V, this is a mistake and therefore had to use a converter for step it down from 12V . This can be seen on the bottom left of the new cluster. The "odometer" still functions as it should with extended wires, simple, cut, solder, repeat. LEDs are all soldered to corresponding places on the board. This took me 20+ hours, a little here and a little there gets it done. The motors sat perfectly on the 4 metal posts in the hole in the 2008 plastic. Once you get there, you will understand what I mean. Hot glue was used at 500' to keep everything intact, more the merrier. I used more then enough LEDs to avoid and dark spots. Thank god I got the 03 dimmer switch into the 2008 housing. I used all black wiring because I had it laying around. Something nobody seems to remark on was the length of the wires, 8 inches seemed to be about right, When you install this mess of a cluster into the new Dash, the 03 board will sit ON TOP of the new cluster, almost as a T if you are looking at it from the side. I have yet to figure out how to make the "button" work, if anyone has input that would be appreciated. Upon doing this again, I would use 5mm 12V LEDs, as it would make this process a lot quicker. BE SURE TO LABEL the pins on the back of the motors, I am not sure of this but I believe that they are all the same "motor" (for each gauge). Something I found was, if you intend on lighting the actual needle in the new housing, be sure to use a 3mm LED and tuck it into the actual "tube" where the actual pin coming off the motor goes through, otherwise you will have some very dull needles, as can be seen on my fuel gauge (evidently that Led was bad). Very simple process, just take more time, and keep organized. Pics attached. I did complete an entire 2008 Interior Swap, including the panals, dash, and would be happy to do a write up upon request. I did the entire Swap for under $2000, $1500 of which was buying the 2008 parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_194700.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	723065   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190904_005941.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	723067   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_194654.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	723069   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190904_000443.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	723071   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_005604.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	723073  

smarty39 likes this.

Last edited by Mike Schmidt; 09-12-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Amazing work! And this is the only thing that I have left to do for my swap to be complete (other than the steering wheel/column).

I have an 07 so I know the clusters are a bit different...how did you get the LCD with mileage display to work? Or was yours the non-digital one and you just transplanted it?

Thanks!

2007 F-350 XLT FX4 - 6.0 CCSB
Studded, EGR delete, aFe 4" turbo-back exhaust, Firestone bags w/ onboard compressor, 2012 Lariat interior (seats, flowthru console, door panels, dash, & ALL trim) 2012 step tailgate, 2012 front & rear bumper, 2012 full-load tow mirrors
Tow machine for 32' Puma TT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty39 View Post
Amazing work! And this is the only thing that I have left to do for my swap to be complete (other than the steering wheel/column).

I have an 07 so I know the clusters are a bit different...how did you get the LCD with mileage display to work? Or was yours the non-digital one and you just transplanted it?

Thanks!
Mine was digital, I simply extended the wires then hot glued the old LCD where the NEW one would be. Just make sure there's plenty of wire!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Okay cool, I thought they would be soldered to the board and a pain to remove (the LCD screen itself I mean). I assume by 'button' you mean the trip/milage reset button? Everything else was just extending the wires to the new location? Sounds simply enough but I am electrically challenged lol! Amazing how I can swap/rebuild an engine but this kind of stuff makes me cringe...really want to give it a try though.

Any hiccups with anything else? Everything still fit okay once the clusters were stacked? What about the gear selector? Any installed pics?

Thanks again!

2007 F-350 XLT FX4 - 6.0 CCSB
Studded, EGR delete, aFe 4" turbo-back exhaust, Firestone bags w/ onboard compressor, 2012 Lariat interior (seats, flowthru console, door panels, dash, & ALL trim) 2012 step tailgate, 2012 front & rear bumper, 2012 full-load tow mirrors
Tow machine for 32' Puma TT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smarty39; 09-25-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty39 View Post
Okay cool, I thought they would be soldered to the board and a pain to remove (the LCD screen itself I mean). I assume by 'button' you mean the trip/milage reset button? Everything else was just extending the wires to the new location? Sounds simply enough but I am electrically challenged lol! Amazing how I can swap/rebuild an engine but this kind of stuff makes me cringe...really want to give it a try though.

Any hiccups with anything else? Everything still fit okay once the clusters were stacked? What about the gear selector? Any installed pics?

Thanks again!
Everything was simply extending wires, I jumped in with 2 feet and went for it. Yes that button to reset trip and what not I have not figured out yet. Hopefully someone else has and will post wiring for it. Just do yourself a favor and set aside time to do it. That's the most consuming part, cut, solder, repeat.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-25-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schmidt View Post
Everything was simply extending wires, I jumped in with 2 feet and went for it. Yes that button to reset trip and what not I have not figured out yet. Hopefully someone else has and will post wiring for it. Just do yourself a favor and set aside time to do it. That's the most consuming part, cut, solder, repeat. The gear selector still is not existant lol, haven't really cared to fix that. (Yet) and yes here is an installed pic. I had to cut my wires going to the LCD because they wernt long enough so currently not using the odometer. It's hard to find time with the family. Pics attached

post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode