[04 Excursion] Weird sequence of events - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By mad_max0204
  • 1 Post By mad_max0204

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[04 Excursion] Weird sequence of events

A few days back I lost overdrive even tho the light was turning on/off. Then all of a sudden dash cluster and radio stopped working and the THEFT light started blinking but the car would still crank and start. After some driving like that (I had to drive it) the AC died too and the car died completely. It turns out the batteries were completely empty. I recharged batteries in my garage and they show good voltage so I'm sure they aren't dead. I put them back in and dash, ac and radio are still dead but the car cranks and starts. THEFT light still comes on as it did previously and I tried the steps to reset PATS but it didn't change anything.

My guess is that one or more of the fuses died and/or alternator died at the same time. I'll test the alternator later today and will try to test out the fuses but I have no idea what could be a problem. Does anyone have any idea what can be wrong and where should I look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So after getting stranded, having to tow my car and trying to figure out what was the issue I finally fixed the problem.

1. Tested batteries with a battery charger and tester: 12.5-12.6v when charged (OK)
2. Took out the alternator and tested it at Autozone: passed the tests (OK)
3. Tested for the current draw: 0.000 (OK)
4. Took apart the fuse box and found a cause

The mini fuse for the ignition switch run/start feed was gone. Changed it out and it magically solved all the issues. Cluster is back on, AC works, everything works except the radio that still doesn't work but I'll change it anyway. I took my time and went through the whole fuse box and tested all fuses and relays. While disconnecting the alternator I broke the connector clip so now I have to find a replacement one and pull out the pins (another pain in the butt process).
letsmow10 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mad_max0204 For This Useful Post:
letsmow10 (07-20-2019)
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So, after I changed the fuse it blew out again yesterday. I was near Autozone so I bought a box of 10a mini fuses to be sure I'll make it home.

Did some reading and investigation and it turns out that the shifter wires for the OD button/light were exposed and were making a short that blows the fuse. I opened up the steering column, took out the shifter and threw some electrical tape on the exposed wires until my replacement part arrives. Easy fix that took 20 mins and now it all works. Replacement alternator pigtail connector arrived today so I replaced that too.
letsmow10 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode