Battery light on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

7Likes
  • 3 Post By Heavy_GD
  • 3 Post By G8orFord
  • 1 Post By john galt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery light on

Searched for other threads but nothing exact so here goes. Yesterday my battery light came on while I was driving. Had no AC on and I turned the radio off so no extra electrical pull. Light went off after 4-5 minutes. Had battery and alt checked out and both functioning correctly. Then today it came on again and is still on. It's late so I haven't checked the alt or batteries again but the truck has been driven two more times and no noticeable problems other than the light on. Starts up like normal. Headlights normal brightness. All other dash lights working. Where should I check next? Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have a scanner or something to pull codes? If so, any codes?

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokester00 View Post
Do you have a scanner or something to pull codes? If so, any codes?

-jokester
I don't but will get it scanned today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,130 Times in 2,038 Posts
Mentioned: 433 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
First off the autozone "tests" arent reliable.

Second, I would check all the connectors before throwing parts at it.
john galt, jokester00 and FD_REV like this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
First off the autozone "tests" arent reliable.

Second, I would check all the connectors before throwing parts at it.
Just had it checked for codes....none. batteries good and alt charging but only 13.5-13.7. guessing that the regulator is going bad or alt is weak and precursor of going bad. What cha think? NOTE: Battery light went out while checking it. Previously on while driving it to various locations today with multiple starts and stops.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's not terrible charging voltage for an OEM alt. Check "all" your connections like @Heavy_GD said.
Positive connections at the battery and the alternator
Check the plug and harness at the alt for chafing and make sure it's plugged in good
ALL ground connections. Battery to engine, battery to chassis and engine to chassis.

It could be a flaky alternator, but it sounds more like bad connections or bad batteries.
john galt, jokester00 and FD_REV like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
The Following User Says Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
FD_REV (06-06-2016)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I might not be in the right place with this discussion. But here it goes. I had some issues with the battery light coming on and according to my watchdog from bully dog cold getting 13.8V while running, each battery not running driverside battery 12.65, passenger 12.61. When running at the back to the alternator cold and running getting 13.5 - 13.8. Battery light on. Drive a while stop the truck turn it off etc. Turn the truck back on then getting 12.5V won't go above that and the battery light remains on. The next day very same thing. Voltage is at 13.5 with battery light on drive and do what i need to get to where I'm going, shut the truck off then get back in and turn it on 12.3- 12.5V max. Batteries are brand new Interstate Mega 850cca. Alternator replaced with a brand new Motorcraft 135 amp output from Ford.All terminals and cables look good and connections are clean as a whistle. Any suggestions y'all. Mechanic shop has no clue. Truck has 102453 miles its a 2006 Ford F-250 PSD 6.0l. just started doing that about 3 weeks ago. truck was dead a few times as well and had to jump it with the wife Yukon. So figured new batteries and an alternator. New to the forum thing as well. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 440 Post(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
i havent read all this
BUT...
if you are running an autoclone zone alternator... DON'T

get a high quality higher amperage alt then check over all your wires connections grounds...twice
I had a similar issue and the po had cleaned up the connections but the wire was corroded INSIDE the insulation
not an easy thing to find but once located it was an easy fix

then get a quality monitor for your truck because the gauges are really only there for decoration and are not to be trusted.
then read up on "monitoring a 6.0" in the stickies which i hope is back as I tried to find it for another member a day or two ago and was unable...

if not one of the good people on this thread will find and fix that issue ...because this place just kinda rocks like that
FordBlueHeart likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode