LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't manually shift down

Hello!
I'm having a strange issue I'm having a hard time figuring out. Truck is an 04 f250 with 06 motor and auto transmission. If I try to shift the transmission down into 3rd or 2nd etc it refuses to engine brake then throws flashing tow haul light few minutes after. Similar situation happens if I'm in tow haul mode and I attempt to compression brake but it refuses to gear down and throws the flashing tow haul light a few minutes later just the same. I've brought it to my local Ford dealership to get codes and an idea what's going on but they said they couldnt find anything wrong or any codes which I find hard to believe considering it still has this issue. I've heard from someone it could be the sensor on the rear diff that has failed or is failing? Aside from that it shifts fine in drive but it's tough not being able to compression brake as there are a lot of large hills where I live. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Edit: transmission fluid isn't dirty or burnt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 PM

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,798 Posts
Mentioned: 731 Post(s)
Quoted: 4035 Post(s)
flashing OD should have codes but I have seen where they won't store long if it not a conctant issue

how does your tow haul work on hills now ?

if you had a VSS *( speedo sender not working you should see a code,, those seem to store for a while even if intermittent

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
flashing OD should have codes but I have seen where they won't store long if it not a conctant issue

how does your tow haul work on hills now ?

if you had a VSS *( speedo sender not working you should see a code,, those seem to store for a while even if intermittent
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah that's what I thought too. I think the dealership near me isn't the best might end up traveling far field to get proper service.

Tow/haul on hills or any grade acts as if it's not turned on even though the tow/haul light is illuminated. So basically no difference in shift strategy and no down shifting / compression braking.

That makes sense. So even if it was the vss wouldn't that leave my speedo useless? Not entirely sure the exact purpose of that sensor.

When manually shifting 1 through 3 it will engage those gears fine and upshift fine but for example if I'm heading downhill and shift into 3rd the engine brake doesn't engage at all it still behaves like it's in drive and doesn't allow any engine braking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2020, 08:04 PM

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,798 Posts
Mentioned: 731 Post(s)
Quoted: 4035 Post(s)
some say the front ABS sensors will give speed even if the rear fails

I have had the rear go wonky and speedo not read the shifting became sporadic and delayed

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay I'll pull the rear sensor to clean and inspect it and see if it that helps.

On a side note would a clogged transmission inline filter cause similar symptoms?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode