4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SOS 2nd trans in a month.

Having some really bad luck with the 5r110 trannys, not sure if I've got the short straw or what. The truck is a 2003 f250 6.0 (obviously) with studs, deleted, exhaust, shiny parts; IC pipes, intake horn, ect.., 155/30 injectors, and some other goodies. I am running the SPD tune on the original SCT Livewire, The motor has about 10k on it, everything was replaced and done professionally, the trans however had 255xxx and bit the dust in the beginning of August, with the nasty 3-5 flare, eventually cutting out overdrive or "5" completely, along with the reverse shudder. Did have the codes. Came to the conclusion it had a good life and Sourced a replacement with 150k and threw it in, New fluid, XDP modified direct clutch solenoid to prevent the same issue, new filters in both. Did a thorough relearn, and it was perfect. After a month of driving and about 1500 miles, the 3-5 shift flare resurfaced. Started driving a little nicer, after 3 days, the reverse hop came in, the 3-5 flare got even worse, and would hunt for overdrive. It eventually caught, but was nothing short of a ordeal. Called the shop I got the used trans from, they honored the warranty, and I am now putting the third trans in. What can be done to avoid frying the overdrive clutches? Has anybody had similar experiences? Could it be the SPD tune (original issues came after a month of switching from canned SCT tunes to the SPD) Looking for some insight so I do not have to yank that heavy son of a ***** out again. Thanks for your time, god bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
In case you havenít already, flush the cooler and lines before installing another trans
jokester00 likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Make sure the ground straps are in good condition and making good contact, I remember reading a few threads where a bad transmission ground caused all kinds of problems. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run an extra ground from the transmission to the frame.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 PM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
you can not properly flush the air to oil cooler ( the plate and fin makes it impossible even with a bi directional chemical flush ) so it needs to be replaced ( according to ford and my results ) if you previous trans had contaminated the fluid with paste or chunks

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-12-2019, 07:45 PM

ps a 150k on an unknown trans was a risk IMO

what did that cost you ?
jokester00 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 AM
Premium Member

I stand by my suggestion of flushing the cooler and lines. Replace it if you choose. Plate and fin coolers are common applications, even in aviation. Oil coolers are flushed and ac systems are flushed when a compressor grenades, so the idea that the trans cooler cannot be flushed is ridiculous at best. Shoot me a pm if you need guidance.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
ps a 150k on an unknown trans was a risk IMO

what did that cost you ?
I got it through my Local advance auto parts for 1200 with no core required. Due to my budget it was my only option. Thanks for your response.
ZMANN likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
Make sure the ground straps are in good condition and making good contact, I remember reading a few threads where a bad transmission ground caused all kinds of problems. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run an extra ground from the transmission to the frame.
Will be doing this tonight, thank you for your response.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Plate and fin coolers can trap debris in a manner that a traditional low psi bi directional flush can not dislodge
Ford dictates this replacement not Me so argue your theory with their engineers. your suggestion is not inline with their recommendations. they belive this is so important that their replacement transmission includes this cooler in the crate and their warranty requires this change out .

I have seen results of a transmission that had metal paste in the fluid and the results of a flush on the plate type cooler
even with solvent based flushing in two directions the cooler would still release trapped debris over time

the problem with the 6.0 is the remote filter is a bypass so once it is clogged it bypasses the junk thru the system and the in pan screen is not fine enough to stop damaging contaminates

IMO if your automotive ac compressor grenades and you just flush the condenser and slap in a new compressor you're being ridiculous or cheap
partyman97_3 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf

Last edited by ZMANN; 09-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

No need to argue with Ford. Bell & Sikorsky say otherwise, and that’s also blessed by the FAA. You and I disagree obviously, and that’s ok. It’s not my vehicle, your vehicle, and best of all it’s not life threatening if he decides to follow nobody’s advice.
Maybe debris was an issue-maybe he has another problem, or just bad luck. Your cheap comment doesn’t bother me. It was actually amusing. As far as the 6.0 filter being a bypass, that’s most filters.

You eluded to an excellent point though. Allowing a filter to go into bypass is the difference between ASE and A&P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5r110 , tranny help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode