5R110W Delayed R/D - New Torque Converter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5R110W Delayed R/D - New Torque Converter

Hi, I'm looking for thoughts/advice. A few weeks ago, my transmission started acting funny after pulling a trailer, there was a delay shifting into forward or reverse, a small delay in the 3-5 shift, and while it still shifted from gear to gear, it didn't seam "normal". At any rate, I didn't have time to get it checked out and while pulling a trailer a few days later, it started making a noise like I was leaking boost, it started getting hot (~180F), and then the TOW/HAUL started flashing and I got a P1744 code. I had it towed to a local trans. shop and he replaced the torque converter.

Driving 3 hrs. home from the trans shop and the following week, it's been shifting fine and seems more "normal" but I still have the delay in shifting into forward or reverse. I initially thought it just needed a relearn and I disconnected the batteries to initiate the relearn. However, I still have the delay. This delay happens EVERY time the truck is started, irregardless of whether the transmission is cold or warm. And it only has the 1 delay when initially shifting into R or D, but any subsequent shifts into R or D are immediate without delay. For example, I shift into reverse to back out of my driveway, which takes a few seconds, but the shift into drive is immediate. But if the engine stays running, there is no delay from P to R/F.

I'm at a loss for what I should do next. After the initial delay, transmission seems to shift fine. But I'm worried that continuing to drive it this way will cause damage. Is the shift delay at all related to the failed torque converter? Should I be looking at replacing solenoid(s)? Truck has about ~200k miles. And while I don't tow a lot, I do from time to time and I don't want to be stranded again.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
How long are you allowing the truck to run initially before you try to put it in R/D?

Did the shop change trans filter?

What happens if you go straight to first or second instead of drive? Meaning go right past drive into a set gear (on initial startup when delay normally happens.)

Could be the brain box on the side of the trans on the shift post. Hence why i ask about going to first or second. Have had a few of these go bad in the fleet but normally when they do its a consistent problem. Not just on start up
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick response. I've let it run anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes with no change in delay. I will try skipping all the way to 1 and see if that helps.

The shop said they changed the filter but who knows if they did the toilet paper. I've got another toilet paper roll on the shelf, I should just throw it in.

But yes, it's weird that it's only the initial shift out of park in reverse or drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found metal shavings in the paper filter, I assume the shop didn't change that filter, just the filter in the pan. Would a failed torque converter produce metal shavings? What else should I be worried about at this point?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Depends. When you say metal shavings, was it like dust or chips? and how much? some is normal especially if you are high mileage.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There was a few chips in there and the normal "dust" you'd fine.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Shifting directly into 1 didn't affect the delay, thanks for the suggestion tho.

I did pull a trailer about 6 hours round trip today, it's a little lazy on the 3-5 shift, otherwise seems normal. Instant shifts forward and reverse when hooking and backing trailer, after the initial delay. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to have Ford check it out
post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.0 trans

i have an 06 with a 6.0 i have a new trans with warranty for 3 yrs. it seems to go through 6 gears and grinds at last gear. then its fried after 1500 miles. ford puts another in and same thing.... I have had 8 trans this year but they never try to find out why. they just put one in and send me on my way til next time. what is wrong?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a follow-up to anyone interested, I took the truck to Ford today and they recommended a new transmission. Tech said there was lack of pressure causing it not to shift into gear and that the pump was failing. That could be true but that doesn't really explain why it then builds pressure and shifts normally after that... $5k for new transmission with installation. NOPE.

I found a thread on ford-trucks "Harsh/Delayed forward/reverse engagement" that seems to fit the bill, they recommended replacing the PC-A solenoid, which I just ordered parts and fluid for. At this point, I don't have much to loose if it doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode