6.0 smokes, burns eyes, runs good. no codes Help - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 04:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Died

I hate it when a thread that pertains to an issue I'm having dies.

Maine - USA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F-250 SD 4X4 CC Short Bed
122xxx miles
Blue Spring
Rotella T6 5W-40
Archoil 9100
Power Service White - Winter
Power Service Silver - Spring, Summer, Fall
CoverKing Neosupreme Seat Covers
WeatherTeck Molded Floor Liners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviar1965 View Post
I hate it when a thread that pertains to an issue I'm having dies.
If it's smoking, smells like fuel, and burns your eyes, you're probably dealing with an injector issue that may/may not have damaged a cylinder.

First thing to do is (with keys out of the ignition), disconnect the remote start wire on passenger side and touch it to the + post on the passenger side battery. While the engine cranks, listen to it and make sure it's an even crank with no hiccups or stutters. If you have a flare up on one cylinder (sounds like it speeds up), that's a no bueno. If the crank is even, you'll feel MUCH better about yourself and the engine Remember to reconnect the wire when you're done.

If you have access to a program like AutoEnginuity or something else that will disable injectors, while it's running and smoking, disable each injector one at a time and watch for the smoke to stop - if it does, note which injector(s)/cylinder(s) you were on. If you don't have access to AE or similar, you can unplug each injector one at a time and accomplish the same thing.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #13 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
ForScan will do the cylinder cutout as well.

Listen to the intake and exhaust for uneven cylinders/leaking valves after you do the crank test as @jokester00 suggested

Wouldn't hurt to remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running and observe the vapors coming out -- should just waft, no puffing or streaming.
jokester00 likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Back to life?

Hello out there to "The Great Pacific Northwest" and Central Eastern(ish) US from "The Great Atlantic Northeast" and thanks for the advice.

New to me truck 6 weeks ago. Previous owner kept good records though and all services were preformed at the recommended intervals.
Reman turbo Nov 2017, other than that no record of parts failures from PO. Just routine maintenance.
I did have injectors #2 & #4 replaced due to bad fuel about 3 weeks ago, but the smell was bad before that and the contribution test after replacement was level and good.
Cranking with the remote start is nice and even.
Blowby with the oil filler cap removed is minimal, really have to look to see anything and very little pressure blowing out.
Running Rotella T6 and Archoil 9100.
No smoke other than a faint white for about 30 seconds after starting below 10F, no smoke even when I romp on it after it warms up.
No decrease in fuel mileage.
No smell in cab while driving.
Truck runs great, starts right up even at sub-zero temps.
No oil in degaus bottle.
Oil level not growing.
I've been running Power Service Diesel Kleen (White bottle) for antigell and am wondering if this could be the cause?
I do have 2 "Pending fault codes" P0069 & P0470 and am unsure if these could cause the PCM to throw the fueling to be out of wack?
Also, the PO deleted the EGR Cooler and EGR Valve so he must have had some kind of reprogramming done?
It's more of an annoyance right now, that's why I've just been reading the various threads and trying to get a understanding of how the various sensors and modules interact...

Maine - USA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

122xxx miles
Blue Spring
Rotella T6 5W-40
Archoil 9100
post #15 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Is it leaking fuel at the pressure regulator ? You can look in from the front of the drivers fender and sometimes see where these leak. You could also run your hand around the regulator housing, it should be clean and free of fuel.

2:20 shows what the regulator housing looks like.
If it is leaking there you can sometimes smell fuel and all else will seem to be fine. The O ring dies over time.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Just ran out and checked, dry as a bone. The engine compartment is quite clean which makes things easier. The PO took very good care of the truck.
I just put the Blue Spring kit in about 3 weeks ago so I know the O-Rings are good (checked in case I pinched one), but the exhaust had the eye watering smell before that.

Maine - USA

122xxx miles
Blue Spring
Rotella T6 5W-40
Archoil 9100
post #17 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Itís easy to conflate multiple issues but as the folks before said if the exhaust has the smell of fuel then fuel is likely in the exhaust. I am no diesel tech by any stretch of the imagination. The contribution test has me confused as I would think it would expose the cause of your issue. What platform was the contribution test run on ?

Please someone correct me if I am off the farm here, I donít want to lead Xzaviar down some path of futility. But it seems to me that if the vehicle software was correcting for an over fueling injector that with ids when the corrections were turned off the graph would get real wonky and expose a bad injector would it not? Is there other software that shows a graph like ids when the test is run and you can turn the corrections on and off ?

As for the codes it is throwing are these old, new ? Have they been cleared and have returned ? I think @bismic has some experience with these two codes together ?
post #18 of 22 Old 03-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
The place that did my injectors and subsequently the contribution test is a large and reputable place. They use the Ford licensed software to do the contribution test and whatever else they tested for. Like any shop, they're in the business of making money and I believe this place is in the business of making a loyal customer base by providing competent service. I'm sure they dug a little deeper than just the contribution test to insure my truck would be trouble free (and to maximize profit) when they were done and the truck is trouble free, just the exhaust smell. If they could have justified more work based on test results I would think they would have brought it to my attention.
It's not really a fuel smell and I know it's not a coolant smell, it's more of a burning chemical smell.
I filled the truck up last night (22 gal or 3/4 tank) and didn't put any Power Service antigell (white bottle) in the tank to see if that makes a difference, but I only drove a few miles after. I'll know better in a little while, I have to go out later.
The P0069 & P0470 come and go and like I said earlier they are "Pending Faults". On the day they had the truck I checked the faults when I dropped the truck off and they weren't there, of course.

Maine - USA

122xxx miles
Blue Spring
Rotella T6 5W-40
Archoil 9100
post #19 of 22 Old 03-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Since you have removed the Cat off the truck, there will be more of a fuel odor than one with the Cat intact. Worse in cold weather as the exhaust pipe cools off more and accentuates the odor. Could also you are over dosing with the additive. Fuel these days is not really Diesel of days past, it is a mix of stuff the EPA is pushing, ...so the station you get the fuel from may be different than the station down the street.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Uh, my Cat is still on the truck. I've only owned the truck 6 weeks. The EGR Cooler has been deleted and the PCM (or whatever) has been flashed so it doesn't throw a fault code. I bought it that way. No way to know if it has any kind of tune on it but there is a spot on the dash where I can tell that something was there with double sided adhesive so a tune might be likely.
I filled up 3/4 tank at a different station the other night and didn't use the Power Service fuel treatment. The smell seems better but still a bit offensive. I'll know better after my next fill.
I'm going to do a new oil cooler and undelete (BPD EGR Cooler) this spring then have the computer flashed back to stock. I know that's kinda backwards for this forum but I will be traveling around the country and want to be legal for the more restrictive states. I think once that's done it'll smell more normal.
I may be way off though.
Spent 6 years as a tractor trailer / heavy equipment mechanic, but that was 30 years ago. These engines are completely different animals today!

Maine - USA

122xxx miles
Blue Spring
Rotella T6 5W-40
Archoil 9100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode