• 1 Post By mike eck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 VGT diag

hey, posted this in another section, but dunno if right one so will try here....if not allowed ill delete it.

I work at a demo company in the shop and we have a 6.0 in here i was hoping to get help with.

About a month and a half ago i did headgaskets on it. new turbo, some other stuff, egr delete.

Was told truck ran great by the foreman who drives it. Then last week it came in he said wouldn't go over 50mph and a "noise". the noise was turbo barking. i did a quick look over my work before scanning and saw the wiring harness to the EBP sensor was messed up. replaced it and took for a drive. still doing it. boost very fast, and dosent like to shift.

i scanned it and has egr codes and p0046. i checked and have continuity from PCM to VGT sensor. VGT sensor OHMed out 3.6 at EOT reading 80 degrees. read supposed to check at 73, but didnt drop any more in a 20 degree drop so think its good and was new with the turbo.

where should i turn to next to check? the "checklist" i found said check harness, VGT sensor, PCM. I dont want to just assume a PCM is to blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
The PCM is the last thing to suspect!

If the wiring has continuity and you can see no wiring or connector issues, then that code says to replace the VGT actuator.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 11-14-2019 at 04:43 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you bismic. you think i should replace it even if it ohmed out ok? possible sticking internally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:39 AM

Code P0046 is set when a short to ground, open, or short to power is identified in the VGTCV or wiring between the PCM and VGTCV. This circuit is a continuously monitored circuit that takes less than 1 second to set.

With that code, I don't see it as an issue of "sticking".

Are you sure the connector is on tightly and not damaged?

I sure hate to recommend replacing a new (and relatively expensive) part. That connector has a history of causing issues, but you have checked that out also. All I can say is to double check the electrical system. If all that is fine, then I guess I would replace the solenoid.

Where did you get the turbo from (and did the new VGT actuator come with it)? If so, is there a warranty?

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 11-14-2019 at 04:46 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes new actuator with the turbo. got it thru a vender i used at my previous shop called Garden State Diesel. never had an issue with their stuff. i will be going thru all the wiring today for a 3rd time as well as getting another set of eyes on it just to make sure then will be calling them about it to see what they say. it would have a warranty. i just wanna make sure i cover all basis before contacting them with the issue saying their part is defective.
bismic likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and yes, i did check the connector. no broken tabs, clicks on tights, i even tried to tighten the pins a bit to make better contact but no go.
bismic likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was also woundering, i took the egr and the cooler out of the truck. no tuner. higher ups didnt want the tuner in it. figured all would do would be cause a check engine light. does that somehow send a signal to the VGT? i dont have anything to show me where the signal to VGT comes from other then PCM
post #8 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 08:58 AM

VGT operation is only from the PCM.

Mark
No-start thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode