• 1 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another GR valve question.

Do these valves start to slowly go out? I've know I've had a problem for a while....the stumbling, black smoke while low load acceleration. Sharp acceleration is no problem. I had the scanner on it the other day and it seemed to lag quite a bit.
I pull the valve today and it was quite easy. There was a reason it pulled easy! It was pretty dang clean and so was the manifold. I was VERY surprised on just how clean the valve and especially the manifold was.This is on a 89K 04 truck that's almost 100% stock with only 08 tranny pan and filter mod, exhaust particulate filter removed and coolant flush and change.
Is there other sensors that could be causing the egr to not function properly? I haven't searched for that particularly, but haven't seen it mentioned since owning this and another 6.0 since 04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
If it is VERY clean, you may have an EGR cooler leak. The coolant can actually "steam clean" the valve and intake.

Are you getting any white smoke?

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
If it is VERY clean, you may have an EGR cooler leak. The coolant can actually "steam clean" the valve and intake.

Are you getting any white smoke?
LOL! No smoke, no "coolant balls" and no loss of coolant.

When I say "clean". I don't mean bare metal or anything close. It's just a fine coating and fluffy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Sounds like the EGR system is working fine. maybe a turbo sticking a little (inlet guide vanes).

Probably be worth checking for codes w/ a thorough scan tool.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Sounds like the EGR system is working fine. maybe a turbo sticking a little (inlet guide vanes).

Probably be worth checking for codes w/ a thorough scan tool.
Yeah, I don't think the vanes are malfunctioning, but it's good to check.
I do have the two EGR codes.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Post up the code numbers. It helps to see them ...

Mark
No-start thread:

post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Post up the code numbers. It helps to see them ...
The only two are P0404 and P0405.

edit...............that does mean the valve is bad.

For the time being, I just made a tune with minor changes with the egr turned off.

I'll replace it when I get back from a trip.

Any good results from using a remanufactured one from AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake?

Last edited by CrazyRay59; 11-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 03:45 PM

P0405 = EGR Sensor A Circuit Low. This code almost always means a bad EGR valve, caused by a bad coil in the valve, or (RARELY) a bad connector.
Hydro likes this.

Mark
No-start thread:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For This Useful Post:
CrazyRay59 (Today)
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
P0405 = EGR Sensor A Circuit Low. This code almost always means a bad EGR valve, caused by a bad coil in the valve, or (RARELY) a bad connector.
Thanks for the specific info! Is there a consensus on the re-manufactured EGR valves from White Bear Lake or the one from Sinister Diesel or something simular?

Last edited by CrazyRay59; Today at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in